Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

flu shot vent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 190 Replies

I am 32 weeks pregnant and had 1 of my routine weekly appts today. went in and everything was fine. in and out within 5 mins. on the way out the dr was like "oh next appt you are getting your flu shot".

I was like "um ya.....no I not doing that."

he looked shocked and was like "why not?"

"well cuz I have a huge fear of needles and avoid them when possible. and also I just don't think its necessary. I have a really good immune system and never get sick. the last time I had the flu was at least 5 years ago. I just don't think I need it".

so then he is says "you know, the last couple of women who said that ended up getting the flu and really bad. they ended up in ICU and 1 of them almost died. I really think you need to rethink your decision. getting the flu when pregnant is extremely dangerous. and not getting it cuz of fear of needles is extremely selfish and petty. you really need to get that shot. you really need to start thinking about your baby and not just yourself".

so I responded "well I will take what you say into consideration and think about it." and then walked away.

ugh it would be 1 thing if he was informative about it. but I don't like the fact that was so defensive about it and was pretty much talking down to me and intimidating me and scaring me into getting the stupid shot. he should have just respected my decision in not getting 1. I have looked into it and have researched it and its just not something I want or need. I understand the risks and benefits in not getting the shot vs getting it. and again, I feel like I am better off not getting it.

anybody else get pressured by their dr to get the flu shot when pregnant? how do you deal with a dr who doesn't agree with or respect your decision on not getting 1? I really like him as a dr otherwise. this is the 1st issue I have had with him and it kind of pissed me off. no big deal. but just wondering how I am going to deal with him at my next appt when I tell him no. I am thinking of just telling him I already got it done elsewhere just to get him leave me alone about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM
16 moms liked this

I would not birth under the care of someone so disrespectful and arrogant. 

No means no. 

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM
9 moms liked this

His job is to make sure your baby makes it, so he's doing his job!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:14 PM

When I was pregnant 2 years ago the doctor strongly suggested it and I listened that H1n1 strain has killed quite a few pregnant women!

Erna2
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

No, I didn't do the flu shot with any of my prenancies. We don't do the flu shot period. The time I caved and got one for my youngest, she got the flu! Nope we don't do them here.

TraceyMR
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

My last ob tried that but backed off when he saw I was not budging. My daughter's pedi tried that whole "Well, when she gets sick, you will change your mind" line on me, She's almost two, and has not gotten the flu. I will not do a flu shot this year either, and I am currently getting over a cold.
Good for you for standing up for your beliefs.

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I'm pregnant and I'm not getting it. I got it with my daughter and I got really sick with the flu that year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bry36
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I think they could have stated it differently and asked you if you wanted to get one many people don'tfor so many reasons personally I have never gotten a flu shot why because I am allergic to eggs and guess what I haven't had the flu in at least 15 yrs I just don't get sick and my son whose almost 12 cant have them either and he hasn't had the flu since he was really little .But I wouldn't be to hard on them they just want to give you the best care and help you make the best choices for your baby and if that's true then they have seen bad things happen from woman not choosing to get one and don't want you to have that happen to you but def they should have approached it differently I would chalk it up to maybe they were having a bad day or just responded badly and we have all done that but if they continue to have that same attitude about things maybe look into going to another Doc .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM
I have never had a flu shot. My oldest dd did get the flu 4 days after I had my youngest dd.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM
3 moms liked this
Really? So her health, thoughts, opinions, and feelings don't matter? Just as long as the "baby makes it?"

Bullshit.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

His job is to make sure your baby makes it, so he's doing his job!

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I was pressured by my midwife with my second child. My ex-midwife. She argued with me and I walked out and never saw her again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)