Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

flu shot vent

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am 32 weeks pregnant and had 1 of my routine weekly appts today. went in and everything was fine. in and out within 5 mins. on the way out the dr was like "oh next appt you are getting your flu shot".

I was like "um ya.....no I not doing that."

he looked shocked and was like "why not?"

"well cuz I have a huge fear of needles and avoid them when possible. and also I just don't think its necessary. I have a really good immune system and never get sick. the last time I had the flu was at least 5 years ago. I just don't think I need it".

so then he is says "you know, the last couple of women who said that ended up getting the flu and really bad. they ended up in ICU and 1 of them almost died. I really think you need to rethink your decision. getting the flu when pregnant is extremely dangerous. and not getting it cuz of fear of needles is extremely selfish and petty. you really need to get that shot. you really need to start thinking about your baby and not just yourself".

so I responded "well I will take what you say into consideration and think about it." and then walked away.

ugh it would be 1 thing if he was informative about it. but I don't like the fact that was so defensive about it and was pretty much talking down to me and intimidating me and scaring me into getting the stupid shot. he should have just respected my decision in not getting 1. I have looked into it and have researched it and its just not something I want or need. I understand the risks and benefits in not getting the shot vs getting it. and again, I feel like I am better off not getting it.

anybody else get pressured by their dr to get the flu shot when pregnant? how do you deal with a dr who doesn't agree with or respect your decision on not getting 1? I really like him as a dr otherwise. this is the 1st issue I have had with him and it kind of pissed me off. no big deal. but just wondering how I am going to deal with him at my next appt when I tell him no. I am thinking of just telling him I already got it done elsewhere just to get him leave me alone about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Replies (181-190):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Your doctor pressured you because you made it sound like your sole reason for avoiding the shot was your fear of the needle and not a moral or medical objection.

So yes, a doctor is going to be pushy if your main objection is something silly like fear of a 2 second poke.

In the future, don't start your objection with a comment about your fear if you want to be taken seriously.

you know what, I hate to admit it, but you are 100% right. I never should have even mentioned my fear of needles. cuz while yes, I do have a huge fear of needles, it has absolutely nothing to do with my decision to get the flu shot. cuz when it comes down to it, I have never let my fear of needles prevent or interfere with me getting important and necessary medical care. I suck it up and do what I have to do. my reasoning for not getting it has to do with my own personal research and medical history/health. and I should have just stated that and left it at that. it was stupid for me to even bring up the fear of needles thing. and I understand now why he came down on me the way he did and didn't take me seriously. I admit I handled it wrong and fucked up. but at my next appt I will leave that part out and just tell him its based on research and medical history/health. I guess I just got thrown off and immediately became defensive cuz he just came out and said "hey you getting your flu shot next appt", instead of asking me if I wanted it and it felt like he was telling me and not giving me options. I wasn't prepared for that and over reacted. but now that I have had time to think about and cool off I feel like I know how to better react to the situation next time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Quoting fairyjester:

its your choice whether or not to get a flu shot, but  if the only reason you choose not to protect yourself and your baby is fear of needles   that is selfish

my reasoning to get or not get the flu shot has nothing to do with my fear of needles. it has to do with my personal research and based on my medical history/health. I admit now I was wrong and never should have even mentioned my fear of needles cuz it has nothing to do with my decision. but stating it, that is all my dr heard and of course that is why he came down on me the way he did. I stated my reasoning wrong so its partly my fault for his reaction. I see that now. I never have and never would let my fear of needles interfere with important and necessary medical care. so my fear of needles is a stupid point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Quoting eirejade:

I was not allowed to leave the room unless I got it...nurse...doctor...then two nurses AND the doctor entered the room and wouldn't give me my discharge papers until I got it...and they told me I wouldn't be allowed to leave without it

oh wow! I am so sorry that happened to you. that is horrible! how is that even legal? that is just plain scary!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I know, right? the 1 time he had flu and cold he was around 2 years old. everybody told me wait till he starts school. then he will start getting sick and bring stuff home. but guess what? it hasn't happened. in the few years he has been in school, he hasn't been sick once.

well I kind of take that back. last year I thought he had the flu cuz he was sick and throwing up for a whole week straight off and on. it kept coming and going. we either kept him home or he got sent home after a few hours. finally after a whole week on the weekend, he woke up really sick. he said he was in a lot of pain. he couldn't keep food or fluids down. he couldn't even walk. we took him straight to the ER. and it ended up......he had appendicitis! he had surgery the next morning to have his appendix removed and went home the next day and was back at school 2 days later. but that was just 1 of those freak things.

whats crazy tho is that my sister has 5 kids that are all home-schooled. and somehow, her kids are always sick. I mean always. every week 1 kid is sick with something. makes no sense cuz her kids are home all day. they do have music lessons and play groups. but they really aren't around that many other kids. they aren't exposed to as much as my son is as he is in public school. but yet her kids are always sick, and my son has only been sick like twice. he just has a really good immune system just like me and his dad do.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

It is amazing you guys don't get bugs via your kid's school. Schools are like petri dishes! 

Quoting Anonymous:

I disagree. I don't think luck has anything to do with it. I think it all has to do with your immune system and your environment. some people have really good immune systems and others don't. I think in all my 33 years I have only had the flu, maybe 3-4 times. I never got sick as a kid. never got colds either. and now as an adult I only been sick maybe 2-3 times. my son is the same way. he is 8 yrs old and has only had to flu and the cold once. I am a sahm and I never leave the house except to go to the grocery store once a week and to drive my son to school. so I am never really exposed to anything either. therefore I don't see the need or the necessity of getting the flu shot. the chances of me getting it are very slim to none. I agree some people may need it. people who work around children or in the medical field and those who have bad immune systems. but I don't agree pregnant women automatically need them. sure their immune system is somewhat lower when pregnant. but not that low.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

The reason you haven't gotten it before is pure blind luck IMO. There are years where I did not get the flu and other years where it kicked my damned ass. I get the shot when NOT pregnant and when pregnant. Did you know getting the shot when you are pregnant infers protection for your baby for awhile after it is born? Ie: before they can get the shot themselves? 

Ever since I started getting the shot (three years ago) I have not had influenza. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Your immune system is compromised when you are pregnant. Do not let an irrational phobia of needles prevent you from taking care of yourself. How the fuck are you getting through blood draws with that phobia? For me blood draws skeeve me out way more than an insignificant shot.

I'm TELLING my Ob tomorrow to give me the flu shot in the office. I have asthma and get lung infections. Mama don't play that shit.

I get that. but really I have been pregnant before. I didn't get the flu shot then and I never ended up getting the flu or sick at all. I just have a really good immune system. I never get sick. but I do not let my fear of needles get in the way of my health. I have already had to have quite a few blood draws done this pregnancy and that stupid sugar glucose test done. needles freak me out. but those test are important and necessary so I just did what I had to do. when it comes down to it I will do what is necessary and important. but based on my research and my medical history, I just don't feel the flu shot is important or necessary for me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I got the flu really badly after refusing the vaccine, I had to be hospitalized for 4 days while pregnant. This was 2 years ago and I will never refuse the vaccine again.
Zanny
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM

We don't get the Flu Shot.... 

The main reason being every, single time we get it, we end up SICK..

by the way... YOU have the right to say no... and decline any medical treatment you choose to

IntactivistMama
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I got my flu shot yesterday (had to ask for it! I wish the doc would remember!) :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

The flu while pregnant can kill you and your child. Get over your fear.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

yes it can. but same thing can happen if you get the flu shot as well. there have been many women who have still gotten the flu and gotten sick and died from getting the flu shot. its really a hit or miss with it. to me its not worth the risk. my decision to not get the flu shot has nothing to do with my fear of needles. its based on research and my medical history/health.

kansasmom1978
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I have had a flu shot every year since 1992 and have never died. I have gotten a cold from them. That's becuase it gives you the virus, so that your body will fight it and build up a resistance to the virus. That is how we become immune.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

yes it can. but same thing can happen if you get the flu shot as well. there have been many women who have still gotten the flu and gotten sick and died from getting the flu shot. its really a hit or miss with it. to me its not worth the risk. my decision to not get the flu shot has nothing to do with my fear of needles. its based on research and my medical history/health.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)