Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

flu shot vent

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am 32 weeks pregnant and had 1 of my routine weekly appts today. went in and everything was fine. in and out within 5 mins. on the way out the dr was like "oh next appt you are getting your flu shot".

I was like "um ya.....no I not doing that."

he looked shocked and was like "why not?"

"well cuz I have a huge fear of needles and avoid them when possible. and also I just don't think its necessary. I have a really good immune system and never get sick. the last time I had the flu was at least 5 years ago. I just don't think I need it".

so then he is says "you know, the last couple of women who said that ended up getting the flu and really bad. they ended up in ICU and 1 of them almost died. I really think you need to rethink your decision. getting the flu when pregnant is extremely dangerous. and not getting it cuz of fear of needles is extremely selfish and petty. you really need to get that shot. you really need to start thinking about your baby and not just yourself".

so I responded "well I will take what you say into consideration and think about it." and then walked away.

ugh it would be 1 thing if he was informative about it. but I don't like the fact that was so defensive about it and was pretty much talking down to me and intimidating me and scaring me into getting the stupid shot. he should have just respected my decision in not getting 1. I have looked into it and have researched it and its just not something I want or need. I understand the risks and benefits in not getting the shot vs getting it. and again, I feel like I am better off not getting it.

anybody else get pressured by their dr to get the flu shot when pregnant? how do you deal with a dr who doesn't agree with or respect your decision on not getting 1? I really like him as a dr otherwise. this is the 1st issue I have had with him and it kind of pissed me off. no big deal. but just wondering how I am going to deal with him at my next appt when I tell him no. I am thinking of just telling him I already got it done elsewhere just to get him leave me alone about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Replies (171-180):
PurplePieguy
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Nope. Not once in any of my 5 pregnancies have I ever been offered one. Not that I would get one, but still.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM
I know healthy people get the flu. My point being most people recover just fine. A lot of people get the flu shot and still get the flu. No one should be bullied into it.

Quoting rjsmommy214:

Just because you're healthy doesn't mean you won't get the flu, during flu season. Like I said it's her decision, no one elses. I was just telling my experience.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is not common for pregnant woman to die. Pregnant women get sick all the time. Healthy pregnant women don't need the shot.

Quoting rjsmommy214:

He was a little rude. I did get a flu shot while pregnant and still got horribly sick and was put on tamiflu to be safe. I think it's fully your decision though. We did have a woman in the area get the flu while pregnant and she did die. Luckily the babies were saved but she left behind 4 kids and her husband.

MommynMonster
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM

You should have asked for the insert because arent some flu shots unsafe for pregnant women?

sehfergy
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM
i'm a doctor (icu) & agree that flu shots are important, especially in vulnerable people like pregnant women. however, it sounds like he didn't communicate w/ you in a professional & respectful way & you might consider talking w/ him about it. patients sometimes don't follow our recommendations, patients are allowed to make their own decisions. but we still should take care of you & be able to have a discussion. if you can't talk w/ your doctor freely, get another one!! i know it can be tough this late in your pregnancy, but many ob/gyns will help you-maybe a med school in your town? good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM
The dr gave me the same spiel when I declined the flu shot. Do they learn that in med school? I'd like I meet these women that get death bed sick from the flu during pregnancy.

I vax, but always decline the flu shot. We have not gotten the flu yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Seems to me she thinks what is best is to not get the flu shot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Isn't that the whole point? If you are pregnant, you should do the best for the baby to make it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? So her health, thoughts, opinions, and feelings don't matter? Just as long as the "baby makes it?"

Bullshit.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

His job is to make sure your baby makes it, so he's doing his job!

mom2bell
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Wow, again defensive much? You have a shitty attitude.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mom2bell:

Your attitude is pretty defensive too. It is a smart thing to get. Your fear of needles as the reason to prevent you from getting the shot is stupid...seeing as you are about to squeeze out a human and all...

I was defensive cuz he was. he immediately started attacking me. I gave my reasons calmly and he went on to call me selfish and petty. so ya I am gonna get pretty defensive about that. I have done my research on the flu shot many times and its just not something I agree with or feel is necessary. I think what really ticked me off is when he straight out said next appt I getting a flu shot instead of asking me if I wanted 1. like I didn't have an option. this is my 2nd baby. I didn't get the flu shot the 1st time around and didn't get sick. I have a good immune system and I just don't get sick. so I feel its pointless. and why do people keep saying a fear of needles is stupid when you are about to give birth? I have done this before. I have birth to my son without the use of a single needle. I didn't get an epidural and didn't have any other intervention. I gave birth completely med free. if a emergency situation arises where I need a c-section or something, obviously I am not gonna fight that. but I avoid them if I can.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaclairbear
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM

You do know you have a depressed immunte system when you are pregnant don't you...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting BEXi:

Scare tactics. Flu shots are just money makers for Big Pharma. Point blank.

I totally agree for the most part. a big reason why I don't agree with them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Quoting mamaclairbear:

You do know you have a depressed immunte system when you are pregnant don't you...

ya it is a little bit. but not really that much. not to the point where your immune system is totally down and defenseless. I have done my own research on this. and I strongly believe for most pregnant women, the flu shot is just not necessary. if you were healthy and had a good immune system before you were pregnant, then you should be fine. even pregnant, your body should be strong enough to fight off the flu. I strongly believe they lie and scare women into getting shots and med that are unnecessary just to make money cuz they know a lot of pregnant women will do anything they can to protect their baby and will blindly trust drs w/out doing their own research. thats just my personal opinion. I not telling other women what to think or do. all I saying is drs are humans and not gods. they are not always right. that is why it is so important to do your own research when and if possible. I am not 100% against flu shots. I do believe they serve their purpose for certain people and that. but I don't believe women automatically need the flu shot just cuz they are pregnant. again just my personal opinion based on my own personal research.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured