Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

flu shot vent

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am 32 weeks pregnant and had 1 of my routine weekly appts today. went in and everything was fine. in and out within 5 mins. on the way out the dr was like "oh next appt you are getting your flu shot".

I was like "um ya.....no I not doing that."

he looked shocked and was like "why not?"

"well cuz I have a huge fear of needles and avoid them when possible. and also I just don't think its necessary. I have a really good immune system and never get sick. the last time I had the flu was at least 5 years ago. I just don't think I need it".

so then he is says "you know, the last couple of women who said that ended up getting the flu and really bad. they ended up in ICU and 1 of them almost died. I really think you need to rethink your decision. getting the flu when pregnant is extremely dangerous. and not getting it cuz of fear of needles is extremely selfish and petty. you really need to get that shot. you really need to start thinking about your baby and not just yourself".

so I responded "well I will take what you say into consideration and think about it." and then walked away.

ugh it would be 1 thing if he was informative about it. but I don't like the fact that was so defensive about it and was pretty much talking down to me and intimidating me and scaring me into getting the stupid shot. he should have just respected my decision in not getting 1. I have looked into it and have researched it and its just not something I want or need. I understand the risks and benefits in not getting the shot vs getting it. and again, I feel like I am better off not getting it.

anybody else get pressured by their dr to get the flu shot when pregnant? how do you deal with a dr who doesn't agree with or respect your decision on not getting 1? I really like him as a dr otherwise. this is the 1st issue I have had with him and it kind of pissed me off. no big deal. but just wondering how I am going to deal with him at my next appt when I tell him no. I am thinking of just telling him I already got it done elsewhere just to get him leave me alone about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Replies (31-40):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I don't do vaccines.  I wasn't even asked to get the flu shot when I was pregnant though...hmmm...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

If you don't like the doctor and his behaviors, don't go back. 

He was just doing his job.  You can either get over it or move on.

I and my kids all had our shots last week .  No big deal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

His job is to make sure your baby makes it, so he's doing his job!

but by intimidating me, scaring me, and straight out attacking me? I mean I understand as a dr his concern. but he could have gone about it a different way. his approach is what pissed me off. he could have calmly asked me why I was against it or what my concerns were or whatever. not straight out attack me and tell me I am selfish. that is totally not professional at all. he could have respectfully disagreed and just left it at that. I didn't feel like debating with him and feeling like the need to defend myself and my decision. totally uncalled for.

opal10161973
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I got the flu shot twice.  The first time, I was fine, no problems.  The second time, I was so sick.  I have not had one since then.  Even though every year someone tells me how I need to get one.  No thanks.  I am a nurse, BTW. 

Flu shots are really only good for people with lung disease, the elderly, or people who have poor immune systems.  I doubt they even do much good for the rest of us.  At least in my opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually have done my research on the flu shot cuz my husband disagrees with me as well. he is 100% for the flu shot and insists on getting 1 every year. and every year he still gets sick with the flu while I haven't had it in a good 5 years. I have a really good immune system and just feel I don't need it. I have been pregnant before. this is my 2nd baby. I didn't get the flu shot with my 1st. and guess what? I never got the flu. never got sick. and what does having a fear of needles have to do with tolerating giving birth? I gave birth to my son and didn't need any needles. I gave birth to him naturally with no pain meds or intervention. I tolerated the birth just fine. sure the nurses gave me hell about refusing an epidural and that. but me and my son came out just fine. trust me, I have done my research and been thru this before. I know what I am doing and talking about. I just hate how drs feel the need to bully patients who don't agree with them. as my dr he is there to give me advice and treat me and give me options to my care. I have a right to agree or disagree. thats my right as a patient. but I should feel like I am being forced to do something I am not comfortable with. thats not right or professional at all.

Quoting mikesmom65270:

I agree!  Most people are not really informed about what influenza can do and what the flu shot does or does not do.  Many people confuse other viruses with influenza, such as "the stomach flu" which is not caused by the influenza virus.  The shot does not make you sick either.  If someone cannot psychologically tolerate needles, how in the world is she going to tolerate giving birth?  I do agree it is a selfish decision.  People, pregnant or not, do die from influenza.  I've had the flu, was sick for a week and not really well for a month, cannot even imagine having it while pregnant or what it might do to a fetus.  I always get a flu shot annually.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

AngeLnChainZ
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM

He can't pressure you into getting anything that you don't want to do. Just tell him you're not interested and leave it at that.  You don't need to tell him that you got it because that would need to be stated in your medical chart. Not a good idea!

I volunteer to save lives; What do you do?

AngeLnChainZ
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM

That and everyone seems to think that just because they get the vaccine they won't get the flu. No, that isn't the case at all! You can still get it , and you can still become deathly ill from it. The flu vaccine does not cover ALL strains of the flu.

Quoting opal10161973:

I got the flu shot twice.  The first time, I was fine, no problems.  The second time, I was so sick.  I have not had one since then.  Even though every year someone tells me how I need to get one.  No thanks.  I am a nurse, BTW. 

Flu shots are really only good for people with lung disease, the elderly, or people who have poor immune systems.  I doubt they even do much good for the rest of us.  At least in my opinion.

I volunteer to save lives; What do you do?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM

again his job is to inform me and give me options. not intimate me, scare me, and bully me. I will continue to see him as a dr, at least till the end of my pregnancy. overall he is a good dr and I do like him and respect him. but I feel he went too far today by straight out attacking me and calling me selfish. as a patient I shouldn't feel pressured to do something I am uncomfortable with. he should have respected that and just left it at that. I am trying not to make a big deal about it. just wondering if other people had the same issue with their dr and how they handled it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

but by intimidating me, scaring me, and straight out attacking me? I mean I understand as a dr his concern. but he could have gone about it a different way. his approach is what pissed me off. he could have calmly asked me why I was against it or what my concerns were or whatever. not straight out attack me and tell me I am selfish. that is totally not professional at all. he could have respectfully disagreed and just left it at that. I didn't feel like debating with him and feeling like the need to defend myself and my decision. totally uncalled for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM
My work made me get the flu shot. Granted I work in a hospital so I'm exposed frequently. My child will get the flu shot too. We've never had the flu.

I just got it yesterday. It sucks my arm is sore, but it's better than getting the flu.

People come into the ER with the flu every day. I hate seeing the little ones with it. Also, 10/10 times that person was not vaccinated against it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM

some are and some aren't. this is my 2nd pregnancy. the dr I had with my 1st asked if I wanted it, I said no. and she said ok and that was it. she didn't talk down to me and tell me how much she disagrees or whatever. thats my issue. but out of the whole time he has been my dr, this is the only issue I had with him. so I not gonna make a big deal about it. just wondering how to deal with it next appt if he starts pressuring me again.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Doctors are not known for their glowing personalities....

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:15 PM

You know what,...doctors are allowed to have bad days too.  Maybe he just had to tell a patient they have cancer or maybe someone has a baby with a problem.  You just never know.  Give the guy a break this time and if he's always been decent in the past and is good in the future, just let it go.  Maybe he's seen major complications with pregnant women and their babies and the influenza virus and this is something he feels strongly about?  It's hard to tell.  But the man is a human, just like you and I and people make mistakes or feel strongly about issues that are important to them.

Quoting Anonymous:

again his job is to inform me and give me options. not intimate me, scare me, and bully me. I will continue to see him as a dr, at least till the end of my pregnancy. overall he is a good dr and I do like him and respect him. but I feel he went too far today by straight out attacking me and calling me selfish. as a patient I shouldn't feel pressured to do something I am uncomfortable with. he should have respected that and just left it at that. I am trying not to make a big deal about it. just wondering if other people had the same issue with their dr and how they handled it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured