Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

flu shot vent

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am 32 weeks pregnant and had 1 of my routine weekly appts today. went in and everything was fine. in and out within 5 mins. on the way out the dr was like "oh next appt you are getting your flu shot".

I was like "um ya.....no I not doing that."

he looked shocked and was like "why not?"

"well cuz I have a huge fear of needles and avoid them when possible. and also I just don't think its necessary. I have a really good immune system and never get sick. the last time I had the flu was at least 5 years ago. I just don't think I need it".

so then he is says "you know, the last couple of women who said that ended up getting the flu and really bad. they ended up in ICU and 1 of them almost died. I really think you need to rethink your decision. getting the flu when pregnant is extremely dangerous. and not getting it cuz of fear of needles is extremely selfish and petty. you really need to get that shot. you really need to start thinking about your baby and not just yourself".

so I responded "well I will take what you say into consideration and think about it." and then walked away.

ugh it would be 1 thing if he was informative about it. but I don't like the fact that was so defensive about it and was pretty much talking down to me and intimidating me and scaring me into getting the stupid shot. he should have just respected my decision in not getting 1. I have looked into it and have researched it and its just not something I want or need. I understand the risks and benefits in not getting the shot vs getting it. and again, I feel like I am better off not getting it.

anybody else get pressured by their dr to get the flu shot when pregnant? how do you deal with a dr who doesn't agree with or respect your decision on not getting 1? I really like him as a dr otherwise. this is the 1st issue I have had with him and it kind of pissed me off. no big deal. but just wondering how I am going to deal with him at my next appt when I tell him no. I am thinking of just telling him I already got it done elsewhere just to get him leave me alone about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Replies (41-50):
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Omg last year when I was in the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy with Ds. My Ob asked every damn appointment Bout the flu shot i figured by the 3 rd time I said know she would drop it. It was so annoying
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM
I have just been offered the flu jab and an injection for whooping cough. I have never had either with any of my last 5 pregnancies so am v reluctant to do it now.
opal10161973
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I wonder if it's just a racket.  Think how much money they make off of scaring the public every year.  SMH  I think it's up to five strains now that they say it prevents? 

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

That and everyone seems to think that just because they get the vaccine they won't get the flu. No, that isn't the case at all! You can still get it , and you can still become deathly ill from it. The flu vaccine does not cover ALL strains of the flu.

Quoting opal10161973:

I got the flu shot twice.  The first time, I was fine, no problems.  The second time, I was so sick.  I have not had one since then.  Even though every year someone tells me how I need to get one.  No thanks.  I am a nurse, BTW. 

Flu shots are really only good for people with lung disease, the elderly, or people who have poor immune systems.  I doubt they even do much good for the rest of us.  At least in my opinion.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM

After 14 weeks, you can get the flu shot. If you don't want it then don't get the shot

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM

nope.
i have a great doctor. i told him he can forget about any sort of immunizations, i don't do needles. and i don't do pharmaceuticals.

i also told him he can forget about making me drink that nasty orange stuff, not going to happen!!! i said i would let him know if i felt like something was wrong.

i also told him there was no way in hell he was going to give me pharmaceuticals for morning sickness, if i feel that bad, i will have A puff of weed.

he said i was a perfect patient:) lmao

AMDS0304
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:21 PM
We don't do flu shots period.. The one time we did we got the flu. No thanks! Plus after that lady got a flu shot and it messed her all up for a while. Again no thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:22 PM

My ob with my last pregnacy got pissed at me about getting the flu shot because she doesnt believe in introducing a live virus to a baby o and I got the flu within a week of getting the freakin shot anyway so it was pointless. I told them no this time also.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Quoting mom2bell:

Your attitude is pretty defensive too. It is a smart thing to get. Your fear of needles as the reason to prevent you from getting the shot is stupid...seeing as you are about to squeeze out a human and all...

I was defensive cuz he was. he immediately started attacking me. I gave my reasons calmly and he went on to call me selfish and petty. so ya I am gonna get pretty defensive about that. I have done my research on the flu shot many times and its just not something I agree with or feel is necessary. I think what really ticked me off is when he straight out said next appt I getting a flu shot instead of asking me if I wanted 1. like I didn't have an option. this is my 2nd baby. I didn't get the flu shot the 1st time around and didn't get sick. I have a good immune system and I just don't get sick. so I feel its pointless. and why do people keep saying a fear of needles is stupid when you are about to give birth? I have done this before. I have birth to my son without the use of a single needle. I didn't get an epidural and didn't have any other intervention. I gave birth completely med free. if a emergency situation arises where I need a c-section or something, obviously I am not gonna fight that. but I avoid them if I can.

BabyBrooke13
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I get the flu shot annually pregnant or not . . . I have pretty severe asthma and getting any respiratory virus could be devistating . . . since the vax is not a live vax (the spray is the live version) I know getting the shot wont give me the virus, but it will help my body prepare should I come into contact with one of those strains . . . the only one in my house who doesn't get the vax is dh (hes to tough and manly to get his) and he's also the only one who's had the flu in recent years . . . I think the dr was a bit pushy, but you've said yourself he's a good dr and you know he has you and your childs best intrest at heart so at your nxt appointment when he brings up the shot again just tell him no and ask him to not bring it up again (remeber you are allowed to be just as blunt with him) . . . now that fear of needles you may just have to attempt to get over in the next few weeks . . .

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM

no I agree. it really pissed me off and ticked me off at the time. but I understand as a dr he is just doing his job and he was just being concerned. I am not gonna get a new dr or write him off or anything. he very well could have had a bad day or something. I am letting it go. I just was pissed cuz he said next appt I am getting it and didn't ask so it felt like I had no option which I why I got mad and was defensive. I sure he didn't mean it the way it came out. I just hope the next visit goes better and he doesn't try and pressure me again.

Quoting Anonymous:

You know what,...doctors are allowed to have bad days too.  Maybe he just had to tell a patient they have cancer or maybe someone has a baby with a problem.  You just never know.  Give the guy a break this time and if he's always been decent in the past and is good in the future, just let it go.  Maybe he's seen major complications with pregnant women and their babies and the influenza virus and this is something he feels strongly about?  It's hard to tell.  But the man is a human, just like you and I and people make mistakes or feel strongly about issues that are important to them.

Quoting Anonymous:

again his job is to inform me and give me options. not intimate me, scare me, and bully me. I will continue to see him as a dr, at least till the end of my pregnancy. overall he is a good dr and I do like him and respect him. but I feel he went too far today by straight out attacking me and calling me selfish. as a patient I shouldn't feel pressured to do something I am uncomfortable with. he should have respected that and just left it at that. I am trying not to make a big deal about it. just wondering if other people had the same issue with their dr and how they handled it.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you don't like the doctor and his behaviors, don't go back. 

He was just doing his job.  You can either get over it or move on.

I and my kids all had our shots last week .  No big deal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

His job is to make sure your baby makes it, so he's doing his job!

but by intimidating me, scaring me, and straight out attacking me? I mean I understand as a dr his concern. but he could have gone about it a different way. his approach is what pissed me off. he could have calmly asked me why I was against it or what my concerns were or whatever. not straight out attack me and tell me I am selfish. that is totally not professional at all. he could have respectfully disagreed and just left it at that. I didn't feel like debating with him and feeling like the need to defend myself and my decision. totally uncalled for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)