Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Employers are taking advantage of this economy!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So frustrating. I'm trying to find a new job.  I keep seeing these ads, they are a mile long, with a lot of responsibilities, no problem, asking for a degree, again, no problem for me, I have a BS.  Get to the compensation portion, $14.00-$16.00 an hour!  WTF?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Replies (161-169):
littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I have been offered even lower than that, and I have an MA.  I also live on Long Island, one of the most expensive places to live.  It is disgusting what they are offering.  No one could live on that here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

the economy is in the toliet.........  you might need to swallow your pride and take somthing below your expectations and try to work your way up from there.

best of luck

hang in there

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:01 AM

also really messed up how companies/employers will purpously be understaffed, put tons more on few employees and work their hrs so they are just under considered full time, that way they can deny  benifits as well. dh finally got full time only makes $8.50 an hr........ his work area requires a 6 person crew... its only him and a really old lady who really cant do much. thye gave him tons of crap for him calling in sick for the 1st time ever and he was bad sick, told him if he didnt come in the next day he was fired (hes never taken off work before at all) umm yeah fearing for his job, he went in  ended up passing out at work... oh and then everyone else got sick and the one who threatened to fire him took a week off for being so sick... dh has degrees ect but well was only work he could find around here. hes used to being paid alot. oh and despite our town being smaller we have the highest unemployment rate in the state.... this town has always sucked for jobs despite  new stores or companies  things moving in, most major big corporations bend their employees over big time. not common to be searching for a job here for 3-6 months before really getting one. its like the help wanted adds are just a joke or for show i swear.

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:08 AM

I would say you need to relocate to an area that offers much better pay for the degree you hold.

Mrs_Nelson
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Yup!  I am in the same boat but I have a job that I love and that is really cool so I am not complaining too much at the moment but my dh has had a terrible time finding a job to pay him even half what he is worth!

ms-superwoman
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:14 AM
I'd rather have $14/hr than nothing at all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Sure, but by refusing the job offers, you then face potential disqualification from the UI program, additionally you would be questioned to see if you truly are available for full time work. Your scenario that you just pointed out is one of the leading causes of UI program abuse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

That's why you get a second job. You work harder when the situation demands it. PERIOD. With the economy the way it is. You take the damn 14$ an hour job, get OFF of unemployment and work your ass off until you find something better.

Being "too good" for that rate, is just plain LAZY.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most people can't even pay off their student loans on $14 an hour. You do realize $16 an hour is roughly 30k a year, right?

Quoting Anonymous:

why does it matter what she does? the point is there are people who did graduate from college  and would be trilled at 14 a hour some have no job AT ALL

Quoting Anonymous:

Cool story. What do you do for a living? Did you graduate from college?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

It's better than no dollars an hour.

Some states have unemployment that maxes out in the $600 range....kind of stupid to take a job that pays LESS and then have to pay for daycare.

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Hold up, you're 44, make $20 an hour,used make $32 and still haven't paid off your student loans? I think you have a money management problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Quoting ColieO:

Hold up, you're 44, make $20 an hour,used make $32 and still haven't paid off your student loans? I think you have a money management problem.

Someone else posted about student loans.  I do not have any student loans.  The GI bill paid for my education and it is paying for my children's education right now. (seperate GI Bills).   I actually do not have money management problems.  As it stands right now, provided I can keep gainful employment, my husband and I will be able to retire at 55, with 4000 a month to live on.  THAT is why its so important to me to work hard now and make as much as possible.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)