Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Employers are taking advantage of this economy!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So frustrating. I'm trying to find a new job.  I keep seeing these ads, they are a mile long, with a lot of responsibilities, no problem, asking for a degree, again, no problem for me, I have a BS.  Get to the compensation portion, $14.00-$16.00 an hour!  WTF?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM
It's the employers problem when they need educated people. I can make $14 an hour at Walmart being a shift manager. No education needed.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

And how is this an employers problem? He didn't tell you to go take out loans to pay for your school.

Do you think Employers have magic tree's with money that you dont have?

Quoting Anonymous:

Most people can't even pay off their student loans on $14 an hour. You do realize $16 an hour is roughly 30k a year, right?

Quoting Anonymous:

why does it matter what she does? the point is there are people who did graduate from college  and would be trilled at 14 a hour some have no job AT ALL

Quoting Anonymous:

Cool story. What do you do for a living? Did you graduate from college?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

It's better than no dollars an hour.

FooLynRoo
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Obviously they can get educated people at 14 dollars an hour - or they would offer more.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's the employers problem when they need educated people. I can make $14 an hour at Walmart being a shift manager. No education needed.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

And how is this an employers problem? He didn't tell you to go take out loans to pay for your school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most people can't even pay off their student loans on $14 an hour. You do realize $16 an hour is roughly 30k a year, right?

Quoting Anonymous:

why does it matter what she does? the point is there are people who did graduate from college  and would be trilled at 14 a hour some have no job AT ALL

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM

So you want to START off at a job at $30+ an hour? It's called working up to your salary. $14-$16 is good start off pay.

BabyBrooke13
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM

beats a blank . . . I know people who would be thrilled to make 14-16 an hour . . . I got terribly lucky where I'm at and don't take any of it for granted; however, during my pregnancy with my second I had to find a sit down job . . . I went from making awesome money waiting tables to $8.25/hour, but I knew my body couldn't handle being on my feet anymore and that was better than zero . . . they my be shooting low because they know people are desperate, but the company may have also taken a hit in the economy too and though they still need a quality employee, they can't pay as much anymore (sometime perks they don't tell you about up front are worth it)

Mrs.Miller11
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM

It may not be what you want, or even what you are worth, but some income is better than none.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I know people who make $10 an hour and are paying off student loans. It's called not living beyond their means.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
$0 an hour isn't paying them off any faster.

Quoting Anonymous:

I took nothing but what I needed and still walked away $20k in debt. That's a $250 a month loan repayment. $14 an hour isn't gonna do it for me.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is true..which is why people should only take out what they need minus any grants and scholarships. As a financial aid advisor on a college campus, so many "kids" take out the full amounts offered of both unsub and sub simply because its a lot of money.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Quoting LamiavitaDivina:

Wow.. $14-$16 an hour isn't much! Specially having earned your bachelors. What field are you in?

Healthcare Admin/Bookkeeping

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep. I had a job offer me $14 an hour. They expected me to relocate with no financial assistance from the company. I am a biologist. I hold a Master's. I passed.

I hired a women with a Masters in Economic Science, as a receptionist, making $12.00 an hour, she was just happy to have a job.  I hated having to offer her so little.  

MrsRinehart2010
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM

im ssorry but thats alot more then most people are getting paid now an days, I would take what i get. Here jobs are extremly hard to come by. We lost quite a few big name companys here an its jst been bad. My husband lost his job an 2010 an lluckly we knew some one who had a private company an need an employe. MY husband is the only employe at his work lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)