Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Employers are taking advantage of this economy!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So frustrating. I'm trying to find a new job.  I keep seeing these ads, they are a mile long, with a lot of responsibilities, no problem, asking for a degree, again, no problem for me, I have a BS.  Get to the compensation portion, $14.00-$16.00 an hour!  WTF?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
BluePandaDreams
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I would work for that much.  I'm not that choosy when it comes to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh? Maybe in the Podunk Midwest. A 30k a year job here will barely cover the rent where I'm from.

Quoting ColieO:

Yup. You can live off that wage at least.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

It's better than no dollars an hour.

Exactly!  Our rent is 2000 a month.  Where we live, finding something large enough to accomodate our large family and the amount of parking we need, this was affordable.  

singlemom1208
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM
It's better then no job if you're unemployed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Don't have a bigger family them you can afford and then bitch about the costs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh? Maybe in the Podunk Midwest. A 30k a year job here will barely cover the rent where I'm from.

Quoting ColieO:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Exactly!  Our rent is 2000 a month.  Where we live, finding something large enough to accomodate our large family and the amount of parking we need, this was affordable.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Seems to me that $14 or $16 per hour would be welcome if you are searching for a job.

I am currently employed, making $20 an hour, but the business will be closing in December.  If need be, I can take a pay cut, we will adjust our budget, but it would be tight.

areles
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM
yeah, it's ridiculous. i ran into that shit over and over when i was job-hunting. job descriptions as long as my arm, involving responsibilities for which i was previously paid $70K a year, with hourly rates of $17 an hour or less. AND requiring degrees, which my position typically does not.

who the fuck goes to college to be a c-level executive assistant in the first place, much less for $30K a year? it was infuriating. i wanted to respond nastily to every ad like that i saw.
sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM
I took a job because I needed money desperately well I've been here for 6 months and just yesterday I got my paycheck and its missing $60!!! I am so pist. Its not fair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM
it wouldnt be for me...childcare for 3 kids would kill me. it wouldnt even be worth it. each persons circumstances are different budgeting or not.

Quoting ColieO:

It's still a livable wage if you budget.

Quoting conweis:

Depends on location, the cost of gas and childcare.

Quoting ColieO:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM

It's frusterating, but it's not that the employers are taking advantage of the economy. It's not their fault that consumers are spending less & they have to cut back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

So you want to START off at a job at $30+ an hour? It's called working up to your salary. $14-$16 is good start off pay.

I currently make $20 an hour.  This is a downsize from a job last year the closed its doors, where I was making $32 an hour.  Now this business is going out of business due to the doctor retiring.  I had no idea, in the interview last year he said he was planning on staying for another 5 years and giving the practice to his son.

Im 44 years old, I've paid my dues and started at the bottom a long time ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured