Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Halloween & Sex Offenders. *Edit

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM
  • 78 Replies

Poll

Question: Is this ordinance a good idea?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Other. (Please explain.)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 177

View Results

This is in Simi Valley, California. 
Full article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/03/14202253-no-halloween-for-sex-offenders-they-challenge-california-citys-restrictions?lite

"The ordinance, adopted Sept. 10, prohibits registered sex offenders in the Ventura County city of about 125,000 from displaying Halloween decorations, answering the door to trick-or-treaters or having outside lighting after dark on Oct. 31"

"Registered sex offenders are also required to post signs with on their front doors reading, in 1-inch letters, "No candy or treats at this residence." Those offenders visible to the public on the state's Megan's Law website and convicted of a crime against a child are required to post the sign."

This is something that we ALL have similar views about; sex offenders. What's your opinion on this? I think that it should be enforced everywhere, not just in Simi Valley.

EDIT: I completely agree with you all that are saying that it should be based on a scale of 1-5. Not everyone registered is a sex offender - they may have been streaking, or peeing in the alley.. I also agree with the others that are saying: regardless, you need to watch your kids, and be with them when they go out. 
(Obviously, older children would have a different set of rules; whatever they may be.)

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I like the idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissLeanna
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM
My county started this last year. It's a good idea. Except trick or treating here is dead anyway. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

While I dont agree with what sex offenders have done obviously. I think if parents where with an watching thier children like they should be then there shouldnt be a problem. But in reality there are paretns out there who do none of those things an It could be a good idea but doesnt mean it would work.

LaMerica
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE this and hope that it gets adopted everywhere!

ilovecandy
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

i think they have that law already here....but im not entirely sure. and yes i think its a good idea.

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM
In my city if you're a registered sex oftener you are not allowed to have the porch light on and typically cops are parked in the area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Quoting LaMerica:

I LOVE this and hope that it gets adopted everywhere!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, I am with my kids when they are trick or treating so I'm always watching them anyway.
mommycrissa
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I have heard of this and I think it's wonderful. Great way to protect the public

DuchessScrat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM
5 moms liked this

It's a good idea.  But, I still feel that some crimes shouldn't be considered a "sexual offense" such as being caught peeing in an alley.  They really should reserve that list for violent and child related crimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)