Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Halloween & Sex Offenders. *Edit

Poll

Question: Is this ordinance a good idea?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Other. (Please explain.)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 177

View Results

This is in Simi Valley, California. 
Full article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/03/14202253-no-halloween-for-sex-offenders-they-challenge-california-citys-restrictions?lite

"The ordinance, adopted Sept. 10, prohibits registered sex offenders in the Ventura County city of about 125,000 from displaying Halloween decorations, answering the door to trick-or-treaters or having outside lighting after dark on Oct. 31"

"Registered sex offenders are also required to post signs with on their front doors reading, in 1-inch letters, "No candy or treats at this residence." Those offenders visible to the public on the state's Megan's Law website and convicted of a crime against a child are required to post the sign."

This is something that we ALL have similar views about; sex offenders. What's your opinion on this? I think that it should be enforced everywhere, not just in Simi Valley.

EDIT: I completely agree with you all that are saying that it should be based on a scale of 1-5. Not everyone registered is a sex offender - they may have been streaking, or peeing in the alley.. I also agree with the others that are saying: regardless, you need to watch your kids, and be with them when they go out. 
(Obviously, older children would have a different set of rules; whatever they may be.)

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
Playitagain
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM

If its a guy who got arrested for streaking in college, then no I dont agree with it. I knew several people arrested and deemed sex offenders for that (and its a tradition at the univsersity I attended) or somebody who stupidly peed on a building. 

Now if its something like a rapist, or commited a crime against a child Im all about it. Im not sure about the decorations thing, I have skull planters outside year round would that court if I was a sex offender? 

They have a similar law here, but as it is nobody really trick or treats, parents are too concerned about things where we live, we are just outside a big city. The kids from the inner city would come to our neighbor, which was fine till a couple years ago there was shooting between a 14 year old and a 16 year old from the city. 

I guess in the end at this point you can never be too safe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Very bad idea.  To single any group out for discrimination and hatred, including those who have committed a crime, paid their debt, and are now living back in society, is simply wrong.  

And the measurement of "mommies" who think this is a good idea is NOT a reflection of anything more than just that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I agree with this.  The registry doesn't keep anyone safer, anyway.  For every pedophile on the list, there are many more that aren't.

My neighbor's son is a convicted rapist on the registry.  Should my sweet, little old lady neighbor not be allowed to give out candy or decorate because of her son's past?  

Quoting Anonymous:

Absolutely not.  There are a wide variety of acts that can get one placed on the sex offenders registry, including things like public urination and consensual sexual acts with one's own barely underage girlfriend (and virtually no age difference between the two participants).  This is not going to protect children, it merely allows parents to feel the illusion of safety and at the same time it is intrusive on those persons who may want celebrate a holiday with simple yard decorations the same as everyone else in the neighborhood.  It is degrading, demeaning, and hateful, and it is not the solution to this problem.

Playitagain
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I fully agree, a couple friends in college got arrested during a crackdown on a streaking tradition (like 35 years at that time) at our university. They are both on the registery and they are great people who did something with 10,000 other people, and happend to be 2 of 50 people who got arrested in hopes of stopping it.  Everybody knew it happend, where it happend, and if they didnt want to see it not to go...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I agree.  This will only serve to make stupid and lazy parents more inclined to feel safe.  

People - if you want your children to be safe, then supervise your children! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Absolutely not.  There are a wide variety of acts that can get one placed on the sex offenders registry, including things like public urination and consensual sexual acts with one's own barely underage girlfriend (and virtually no age difference between the two participants).  This is not going to protect children, it merely allows parents to feel the illusion of safety and at the same time it is intrusive on those persons who may want celebrate a holiday with simple yard decorations the same as everyone else in the neighborhood.  It is degrading, demeaning, and hateful, and it is not the solution to this problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM

THIS.  

Quoting Anonymous:

LittleBirdFly
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I agree. I dont understad who would let their little kids out alone in the dark.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

While I dont agree with what sex offenders have done obviously. I think if parents where with an watching thier children like they should be then there shouldnt be a problem. But in reality there are paretns out there who do none of those things an It could be a good idea but doesnt mean it would work.

pampire
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM

In general I oppose anything that coems out of Simi Valley, but this isn't a bad idea.

jones_danielle
by Coheedgirl on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:59 PM

If my city doesn't have it, I hope they will soon.

TurtleSquish
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I don't think a blanket 'sex offender' law is good. A sex offender can be someone who was having sex in their car, for god's sake.

child offenders, yes, but not ALL sex offenders.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN