Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Halloween & Sex Offenders. *Edit

Poll

Question: Is this ordinance a good idea?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Other. (Please explain.)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 177

View Results

This is in Simi Valley, California. 
Full article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/03/14202253-no-halloween-for-sex-offenders-they-challenge-california-citys-restrictions?lite

"The ordinance, adopted Sept. 10, prohibits registered sex offenders in the Ventura County city of about 125,000 from displaying Halloween decorations, answering the door to trick-or-treaters or having outside lighting after dark on Oct. 31"

"Registered sex offenders are also required to post signs with on their front doors reading, in 1-inch letters, "No candy or treats at this residence." Those offenders visible to the public on the state's Megan's Law website and convicted of a crime against a child are required to post the sign."

This is something that we ALL have similar views about; sex offenders. What's your opinion on this? I think that it should be enforced everywhere, not just in Simi Valley.

EDIT: I completely agree with you all that are saying that it should be based on a scale of 1-5. Not everyone registered is a sex offender - they may have been streaking, or peeing in the alley.. I also agree with the others that are saying: regardless, you need to watch your kids, and be with them when they go out. 
(Obviously, older children would have a different set of rules; whatever they may be.)

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
MrsRinehart2010
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM

right my girls are almost 5 an almost 2 but even when they are older no way thye will go tricker treating by there self . If they are still young enough to want to go trick or treating then they are young enough for mom to go with them expecially since this involves knocking on random peoples doors .

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

I agree. I dont understad who would let their little kids out alone in the dark.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

While I dont agree with what sex offenders have done obviously. I think if parents where with an watching thier children like they should be then there shouldnt be a problem. But in reality there are paretns out there who do none of those things an It could be a good idea but doesnt mean it would work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM
it says violators under megans law, which is a sexual offense of a child under the age of 12 i believe

Quoting DuchessScrat:

It's a good idea.  But, I still feel that some crimes shouldn't be considered a "sexual offense" such as being caught peeing in an alley.  They really should reserve that list for violent and child related crimes.

Alison_C
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM
No one trick or treats in Ventura County anyway. They all go to the mall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DuchessScrat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Ah, so not just everyone on the sex offender list.  Gotcha.

Quoting Anonymous:

it says violators under megans law, which is a sexual offense of a child under the age of 12 i believe

Quoting DuchessScrat:

It's a good idea.  But, I still feel that some crimes shouldn't be considered a "sexual offense" such as being caught peeing in an alley.  They really should reserve that list for violent and child related crimes.

rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM

We always check the watch dog site before we go trick or treating. Make sure the area we're going has none. I think its partly parental responsibliity too. 

I answered other however. When people think of pediphiles they think dirty old men who touched little children or raped someone against their will. There are gray lines. Men who were 18 and had sex with someone under age who was more than willing. Situations where girls turned on the men because they broke up. Situations where parents pressed charges even when their children didn't want them to. Etc. THOSE "pediphiles" should not be 1. called pediphiles 2. be treated like the real type 3. be subject to these rules or any of the other ones.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Other-

I think it would depend in the level of the offense. If a 20 yr old boy urinated in public drunk(still wrong obviously). I don't think it's fair that he would have the same sign as a child molester rapist ect. Does that make any sense?
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:04 PM
I agree with you.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

While I dont agree with what sex offenders have done obviously. I think if parents where with an watching thier children like they should be then there shouldnt be a problem. But in reality there are paretns out there who do none of those things an It could be a good idea but doesnt mean it would work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Ior ally agree. I knew a guy who got a statutory rape charge for sleeping with his 16 year old girlfriend when he was 19. They met and dated in high school but her parents decide to press charges on him when they found out they were having sex. Now the poor guy has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life

Quoting DuchessScrat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DuchessScrat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM

That's not right.  Especially since they consented to him dating her :-(  Poor guy.  That really limits a mans ability to make and provide for a family.

Quoting paknari:

Ior ally agree. I knew a guy who got a statutory rape charge for sleeping with his 16 year old girlfriend when he was 19. They met and dated in high school but her parents decide to press charges on him when they found out they were having sex. Now the poor guy has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life

Quoting DuchessScrat:

birthymom4
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I think it should be extended only to those who have Violent sexual crimes or crimes against children.

I know a "sex offender" who was 18 and his GF was 17...I do not think he should be banned from trick or treat activities he is a good father.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)