Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Halloween & Sex Offenders. *Edit

Poll

Question: Is this ordinance a good idea?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Other. (Please explain.)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 177

View Results

This is in Simi Valley, California. 
Full article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/03/14202253-no-halloween-for-sex-offenders-they-challenge-california-citys-restrictions?lite

"The ordinance, adopted Sept. 10, prohibits registered sex offenders in the Ventura County city of about 125,000 from displaying Halloween decorations, answering the door to trick-or-treaters or having outside lighting after dark on Oct. 31"

"Registered sex offenders are also required to post signs with on their front doors reading, in 1-inch letters, "No candy or treats at this residence." Those offenders visible to the public on the state's Megan's Law website and convicted of a crime against a child are required to post the sign."

This is something that we ALL have similar views about; sex offenders. What's your opinion on this? I think that it should be enforced everywhere, not just in Simi Valley.

EDIT: I completely agree with you all that are saying that it should be based on a scale of 1-5. Not everyone registered is a sex offender - they may have been streaking, or peeing in the alley.. I also agree with the others that are saying: regardless, you need to watch your kids, and be with them when they go out. 
(Obviously, older children would have a different set of rules; whatever they may be.)

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I agree. We don't take ours to unknown houses, though. We go to our families.

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I agree with the premise, not the execution.

My daughters father is a convicted sex offender for crimes against a minor, and he does NOT appear on the states megans law online list.

They classified him as level 1 or low risk of reoffense. Trust me when I say I know for a fact thats pure BULLSHIT.

The danger remains, i think this will give parents a false sense of security.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM
From the time I was 13 on I went trick or treating without my parents. Not all sex offenders go after little kids so if 3 teen girls are out then yes I think the offenders should have a sign on their door. They're the ones that screwed up

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

I agree. I dont understad who would let their little kids out alone in the dark.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

While I dont agree with what sex offenders have done obviously. I think if parents where with an watching thier children like they should be then there shouldnt be a problem. But in reality there are paretns out there who do none of those things an It could be a good idea but doesnt mean it would work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Bad idea.  Sets those people up to be victimized themselves, by vigilante acts of aggression, bullying, and persecution. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Walking all over people's rights in the interest of creating a false sense of public safety .... how totally stupid. 

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:34 PM
Sorry, can't make it clicky. This was the argument from the offenders.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/144398/sex_offenders_fighting_to_give? utm_medium=sm&utm_source=faceb ook&utm_content=fanpage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Its the ones that havent been caught that are the ones to be worried about. I will stay with my kids when they tot, by the time I feel they are old enough to be without adult supervision they will be old enough to not tot anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM
It does. And the man is now married and had children. And he hasti go door to door when he moves somewhere and explain being a sex offender. I understand the need for true sex offenders but it goes too far.

Quoting DuchessScrat:

That's not right.  Especially since they consented to him dating her :-(  Poor guy.  That really limits a mans ability to make and provide for a family.

Quoting paknari:

Ior ally agree. I knew a guy who got a statutory rape charge for sleeping with his 16 year old girlfriend when he was 19. They met and dated in high school but her parents decide to press charges on him when they found out they were having sex. Now the poor guy has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life

Quoting DuchessScrat:

It's a good idea.  But, I still feel that some crimes shouldn't be considered a "sexual offense" such as being caught peeing in an alley.  They really should reserve that list for violent and child related crimes.

krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM
This

Quoting Mazie0723:

In my city if you're a registered sex oftener you are not allowed to have the porch light on and typically cops are parked in the area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM

It depends on the offense. Pedophiles and baby rapers yeah they should have to do it, but if it's something like a guy got drunk and was peeing outside or got drunk and went streaking then I don't think they should have to. I have a friend that was a registered sex offender because when he was a teenager him and a girl the same age had sex. Her parents freaked out and accused him of raping their daughter. The judge ruled it as children experimenting, but the the county put his picture in the paper anyway under registered sex offenders. He went to court and fought it and his picture was removed. Everyone looked at him like he was some kind of creep for a long time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)