Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Halloween & Sex Offenders. *Edit

Poll

Question: Is this ordinance a good idea?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Other. (Please explain.)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 177

View Results

This is in Simi Valley, California. 
Full article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/03/14202253-no-halloween-for-sex-offenders-they-challenge-california-citys-restrictions?lite

"The ordinance, adopted Sept. 10, prohibits registered sex offenders in the Ventura County city of about 125,000 from displaying Halloween decorations, answering the door to trick-or-treaters or having outside lighting after dark on Oct. 31"

"Registered sex offenders are also required to post signs with on their front doors reading, in 1-inch letters, "No candy or treats at this residence." Those offenders visible to the public on the state's Megan's Law website and convicted of a crime against a child are required to post the sign."

This is something that we ALL have similar views about; sex offenders. What's your opinion on this? I think that it should be enforced everywhere, not just in Simi Valley.

EDIT: I completely agree with you all that are saying that it should be based on a scale of 1-5. Not everyone registered is a sex offender - they may have been streaking, or peeing in the alley.. I also agree with the others that are saying: regardless, you need to watch your kids, and be with them when they go out. 
(Obviously, older children would have a different set of rules; whatever they may be.)

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Replies (71-78):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM
The list of the people most likely to sexually offend a child, I believe these are in the right sequence but forgive me if they are not
1. Father
2. Step Father
3. Mother's boyfriend
4. Grandfather
5. Uncle
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I thought this was a law every where. 

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I am with my kids trick or treating, so I wouldn't really care if they had to do that or not. I think it might be a good idea though for the young children, who are too young to know better than going into someone elses home, who are trick or treating alone. But they don't have to in my town and its never been a problem. 

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Exactly, people freak out about kidnappers and child molestors when most are found right in the home. My husband was told he was lying about his greatgrandmother because "grandmas don't do that" and yet they preached to him about not talking to his friendly neighbor because he "could be a pedophile"

Quoting Anonymous:

The list of the people most likely to sexually offend a child, I believe these are in the right sequence but forgive me if they are not
1. Father
2. Step Father
3. Mother's boyfriend
4. Grandfather
5. Uncle

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I think it started as a good idea with good intentions taken too far...

They can't have any decorations? Must post a sign but yet their porch light is not on ( which normally signals no treats here)

I truely understand saying they are not allowed to interact with the children, and not allowed to pass out candy, but what does a pumpkin on the porch hurt? And what about their spouse? Why are they being punished for a crime they didn't commit? Next they are going to say they can't have a Christmas tree?

You have to remember that some of these offenders are not child sex offenders and may have committed a crime like peeing outside, an 20 year old having sex with his teen girlfriend, ect... Though their crime was wrong, they have served their time-- There is a very thin line between protecting the kids and infringing on civil rights of another person... If its really an issue-- do away with trick or treating door to door..

NeverABreak
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I thought it was like this everywhere...

I'm taking my children to my church to trick-or-treat because I know and trust members of the congregation. It just doesn't seem right showing up on a stranger's doorstep asking for candy. I have no idea what kind of people they are.

liquidvelvet
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:26 AM

They have that ordinance where I live, I've always thought it was a good idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Given that a sex offender is likely to be someone related to a child or someone who grooms the child into trusting them I think it's ridiculous. I wonder if this is even constitutional. I guess Americans are too dumb to care about giving up freedoms as we've seen in the past twenty years. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured