Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is so hard to understand about washing poopy cloth diapers?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you do when your potty training child poops in their underwear? Some probably throw them away, but I bet most people toss the poop in the toilet and wash the underwear. What the HELL is the difference?!?!

Or vomit on clothes??? You rinse what you can off and then toss it in the washer.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Replies (91-100):
flcowgrl23
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM
I actually use a tiny amount of winndixie free and clear. My secret is soaking before washing. The flour sacks soften after you wash them a few times. They're bigger and more durable as well as more absorbent than a typical prefold. I've strictly cd for over a year, and have had a stain once. I hang mine on the clothesline to preserve the pul and the sun is a natural bleach that doesn't weaken the structure of the pul.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Not really, just that cloth diapers do stain but it seems like everyone on here has magical laundry soap to get sparkly, white, shiny diapers. Are the flour sacks soft?

Quoting flc whiowgrl23:

Rude.

Quoting batmansgirl:

well bully for you

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Every one of my diapers come out white. I just did a load today, and my son has a nasty little butt. They never stink, never stain, and I use not just fleece pockets but flour sacks as liners. The flour sacks aren't even diapers and come out sparkly white.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Yes I know how to wash clothes correctly, probably been doing that longer than you've been breathing. In other words I'm over the hill. Disposables are the way to go.

Quoting PEEK05:

I've been cloth diapering for a while.  My diapers come out bright white! The colors on the outside stay just as vibrant too.  Maybe you were not washing them correctly.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Huh their gross?? Not to mention highly unsanitary. It smells, stains won't come out. I've used cloth diapers and disposable is the only way to go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flcowgrl23
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM
I also use baking soda and vinegar, and do a classic blue dawn soak once a month or so to prevent having to strip. When they stink is when you're getting build up.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Not really, just that cloth diapers do stain but it seems like everyone on here has magical laundry soap to get sparkly, white, shiny diapers. Are the flour sacks soft?

Quoting flc whiowgrl23:

Rude.

Quoting batmansgirl:

well bully for you

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Every one of my diapers come out white. I just did a load today, and my son has a nasty little butt. They never stink, never stain, and I use not just fleece pockets but flour sacks as liners. The flour sacks aren't even diapers and come out sparkly white.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Yes I know how to wash clothes correctly, probably been doing that longer than you've been breathing. In other words I'm over the hill. Disposables are the way to go.

Quoting PEEK05:

I've been cloth diapering for a while.  My diapers come out bright white! The colors on the outside stay just as vibrant too.  Maybe you were not washing them correctly.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Huh their gross?? Not to mention highly unsanitary. It smells, stains won't come out. I've used cloth diapers and disposable is the only way to go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

So do you prefer the cd over disposable or is it because of economics? I know that cloth would be cheaper but when I think of the mess and smell and "laundry" there must be something in it to tolerate all of that. Do they even make plastic pants anymore?

Quoting flcowgrl23:

I actually use a tiny amount of winndixie free and clear. My secret is soaking before washing. The flour sacks soften after you wash them a few times. They're bigger and more durable as well as more absorbent than a typical prefold. I've strictly cd for over a year, and have had a stain once. I hang mine on the clothesline to preserve the pul and the sun is a natural bleach that doesn't weaken the structure of the pul.

Quoting batmansgirl:

Quoting flc whiowgrl23:

Rude.

Quoting batmansgirl:

well bully for you

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Quoting batmansgirl:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting batmansgirl:

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I can't recall my daughter ever pooping in her underwear.  I don't even like to wash undies that have skid marks in them in my washer!  Sorry, it grosses me out to put poop into my washer.

flcowgrl23
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM
I use them to save money (two boys under two), be kinder to my babies skin, save waste, and I just am so accustomed to it that I don't even like to have any disposables around. I have a small package for certain things, "just in case" but really never use them.

I always rinse my dirty diapers before putting them in the pail (which has a lid and doesn't have a chance to stink), wash my washer every three months (everyone should regardless!), and yes they do make plastic pants! I have a stash of old school pins and plastic pants for those days that the diaper wash is taking too long lol. I keep a set in my car for emergencies. I actually use the plastic pants now for trying to potty train ds. He wore them today :)

Quoting batmansgirl:

So do you prefer the cd over disposable or is it because of economics? I know that cloth would be cheaper but when I think of the mess and smell and "laundry" there must be something in it to tolerate all of that. Do they even make plastic pants anymore?

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Quoting batmansgirl:

Quoting flc whiowgrl23:

Rude.

Quoting batmansgirl:

well bully for you

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Quoting batmansgirl:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting batmansgirl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vwd_johnson
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM
I don't want to do it everyday though. Its nasty! My son is 25 months and potty trained. I've had 3 poop accidents and cleaning the pants was disgusting, I can't even imagine doing that everyday when I could just use disposable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulJ
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

i have ALWAYS thrown away poopy clothes and clothes or items that were vomited on... 

Wow, glad you have the money for that...my first child had at least 1 exploding diaper a day for 8 months...not exaggerating. Often he had 2. Even when my husband had a great job i had better uses for my money!!
littlewonders
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM
I love cloth! It saves money and my 3 kids have cute fluffy booties!!! There is the occasional stain but dry them in the sun and they almost always come out :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I worked in a nursiing home that used CD.  That was a lot of poopy diapers to clean out every night lol

alwayskk
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I'm washing poopy underwear out the wazoo in this house. I'm laughing at the notion that cloth diapers ever grossed me out (once upon a time, long long ago...).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured