Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Obama has my vote just on this alone:

No, you can’t deny women their basic rights and pretend it’s about your ‘religious freedom.’ If you don’t like birth control, don’t use it. Religious freedom doesn’t mean you can force others to live by your own beliefs.

- President Barack Obama

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Replies (431-440):
a_brown23
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I agree. I mailed out my absentee ballot today. 

tazz67mom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting tazz67mom:

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

For that reason alone I won't vote for him. Not that I think it's about religious freedom, but that I dont think anyone has the right to take a life.

maybe not but people should quit sweating other people for how they live theirs. If someone really wants an abortion they have tons of methods. The Philippines have pills you can take. if abortion isn't legal it will be just like drugs. Just bc it's illegal doesn't mean it will stop people from getting them. If you wanna do something you're gonna find a way. Just like if there is no PA people are gonna need to steal to survive. Courts will be flooded and so will prisons and jails. And those are expensive to run.

That's terrible logic. In that case, NOTHING should be illegal because it's just how ''other people live their lives''.

No certain things should be illegal, but not abortion.  Though I don't believe weed or prostitution should be illegal either.

That's your opinion. Still doesn't change the fact that her logic fails.

What give you or the government the right to tell me what to do w/my body?

Anyway, abortion has been going on forever.  It will not go away.  What happens when you make it illegal is you put mothers & the unborn child more in harms way.  Ever see a child born to a botched backyard abortion? And don't go freaking out calling the mother names, people do stupid things when they are desperate.

More women will die, more women will be harmed.  And yes it is the woman's body.  The baby she is carrying is a "what might be."  I know it sounds cold & heartless but you can't make laws on something that may never be & laws shouldn't be made on that or religious beliefs either.

And these drug laws, what good have they done?  Tell me.  We have more crime, now we have drug cartels & our jails filled up.  We have mom's getting more time for being caught w/a small amount of weed than a rapist, pedophile & sometimes a murderer.  Pretty sad & backwards if you ask me.  Legalize some drugs, will help make the streets safer, tax it & bring in more money for this country instead of bleeding it dry.

And why is prostitution illegal?  A person can sleep w/every tom, dick & harry & it is legal until money is exchanged.  Seems backwards to me.  If someone wants to sell their body they should be able to, it is their body.  Legalize it, make it safer & tax it.

I am tired of religion being able to make laws, I'm tired of people & the government telling me what I can & can't do w/MY body.

I find it so scary that people can't look at the big picture when looking at abortion.  Opens up so many doors to further control us & to take rights away from women, rights that were fought for.  Something tells me some day our daughters, granddaughters, great granddaughters will have to fight for those rights back again some day bc so many can't see the bigger picture.

Women's rights? Are you serious? How about the rights of that baby, the mother and father got into a mess so the baby should die, really, that is your answer. Abortion is not a form of bith control. It is not just about your body, if you are killing the little body inside you. Making killing legal is not the answer, nor it is a way for government to control you, it is to save that little life you created. 

Why should something that has not been born yet have more rights than the woman carrying it; hosting it? 

Most do not use it as a form of birth control, you are acting like the majority of women are out there getting multiple abortions & you would be very wrong.

You can not kill something that hasn't been born yet, that may never be born.

So keeping abortion legal doe not legalize killing/murder.

To save a life that can not survive outside the host, that can not breath on it's own, that may never become a life.

Don't know about you but the moment I found out I was pregnant I loved and wanted my child. Women who loose a child while pregnant still lost a child even if it had not been born yet. I said nothing about people having more that one abortions. But getting pregnant then killing that child is a form of birth control. Does it not prevent the child from being born. I would give my life for any of my children, not the other way around! It is murder, you just don't like the ugly truth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 86 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM
I totally agree. You cant stop people from doing the things that makes baby. Now a days people are starting younger and younger. Unless you can abolish sex all together, no amount of birth control. Banning abortions, or any other law is going to control it. Im just sayin.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right because getting rid of access to birth control and even abortions is totally going to help women stop having kids they can't afford.

Quoting LovelyJay512:

Yeah, but don't continue to make babies you can't afford.

VOTE FOR PEDRO.

Dontchawishuknu
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM
LOVE!! LOVE!! LOVE!!

Quoting Anonymous:

*SMDH*

He didn't say that. Research, rather than look at memes it will help you make an informed decision. 

Anatomy of a Wishful Viral Rumor

The 2012 campaign isn’t the first to be marked by rumors and distortions. But it’s already setting new land-speed records for the time it takes a tossed-off comment or flat-out falsehood to develop into a “fact” accepted by half the political world. The “report” that Obama would be traveling to Paris tohold a European fundraiser on the Fourth of July was just the latest example of partisan lying. 

Every time it happens, supporters of the rumor’s target bemoan the gullibility of their partisan counterparts. How could anyone think Obama was born in Kenya?! Does anyone really believe Romney doesn’t know what a doughnut is?!

The reason distorted or fabricated tales about political candidates spread so quickly, of course, is because people want to believe the very worst about their opponents. They also want to believe the very best about their own candidates. That appears to be why a lie about Obama became a viral sensation among his own supporters this year.

The lie is a quote, attributed to Obama: 

No, you can’t deny women their basic rights and pretend it’s about your “religious freedom.” If you don’t like birth control, don’t use it. Religious freedom doesn’t mean you can force others to live by your own beliefs.

I ran across this a few weeks ago when a Facebook friend approvingly posted one of several images that have been created with this quote and are circling the internet. Immediately, I had two thoughts: 1) Obama can be a straight-talker—recently referring to insurance companies who “jack up” rates—but that doesn’t sound like something he’d say; and 2) if he did say this, wouldn’t it have dominated news coverage for several days, if not weeks?

I did some digging to figure out how this fake Obama quote became a liberal meme with more than 127,000 hits on Google. It goes something like this:

February 10, 2012. Obama appears in the White House press room to announce some proposed changes to the HHS mandate that requires employer-based insurance to include free coverage of contraception after fielding complaints from a diverse group of religious individuals who felt the exception for “religious employers” was too narrow. 

February 15, 2012. On a forum discussing Rick Santorum at Topix, someone posts this observation: “You can’t deny women their basic rights and pretend it’s about your ‘religious freedom’. If you don’t like birth control, don’t use it. Religious freedom doesn’t mean you can force others to live by your beliefs.”

February 16, 2012. The above statement, now attributed to Obama and plastered over an image of Obama forcefully making a point, is posted on a tumblr called Atheist Stardust. It’s unclear if this was the first site to link Obama with the quote about religious freedom, but the post was either “liked” or re-blogged by more than 28,000 other sites, which makes it a likely suspect.

From there, the image and quote took off, becoming particularly popular with Pinterest and Tumblr users. While it was eventually picked up some conservative sites as evidence of Obama’s “war on religion,” the vast majority of those posting the quote seem to be liberals who express relief and pride at Obama’s supposed willingness to stick it to religious conservatives.

The quote has taken on second, third, fourth lives since the winter, getting re-circulated on Facebook in May and again in June. And it will no doubt continue to live on. Because although some of those who initially helped to spread the word have since posted disclaimers warning readers that they can’t verify the quote, tens of thousands more have left their posts intact.

And Obama supporters will continue to pass around the quote because many of them want to believe it is real, and want to believe that Obama not only shares their views about conservative Catholics but is willing to say so in very blunt terms. That desire is natural and understandable, but I wish people would employ a little critical thinking as they follow the campaign. Lying about your own candidate isn’t any better than lying about his opponent.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
salamandersmom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Ah, that would be FINE, except you are asking TAXPAYERS to give up their money so that someone else can have the "religious freedom" to screw around all over the place, and asking TAXPAYERS to give them money to get an abortion or to pay for their STD or whatever.  And that's not right or fair.  If you wanna donate to an organization that supports that, you can do that with your charitable donation, but don't force someone else to screw up their religious beliefs and enable someone else to behave irresponsibly.  By doing that, you are taking away MY religious freedom.  And, hello, isn't that just a wee tiny bit hypocritical?

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I've looked last nite and today, and still am not sure what you are referring to.  People can donate to charities, churches, foundations and claim that on taxes.  Some places give vouchers for private schools.  Are these the things you are referrring to?

Non-profits, religious or secular, do not pay taxes.  Many people don't pay taxes.  (Some might say 47%)

If everyone was responsible, they could even buy their own bc, and not force others to violate their conscience by being forced by the govt to purchase services that go against their beliefs.

Quoting Kaya529:

I would do it for you but I have to get the baby to bed and homework.

Look up the tax credits for schools and the extra money people pay in taxes to cover what they don't.

Quoting JTROX:

Yes, religious institutions do not pay taxes.  But how is other people's money being given to the religious entities?  You said to give them back their taxes. 

Quoting Kaya529:

Look up tax credits. That is the round about way religious schools get tax payer money.

Do you realize that chitchat are exempt from paying taxes which means that everyone else has to pick up the slack. Which means people are not religious are paying extra so they don't have to. It's kind of like PA for an institution rather then an individual. If we started taxing them

like everyone else then it would pull in a lot more revenue. Which then would mean it would lower the amount an individual would have to pay thus freeing up funds to pay for their own birth control.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting Kaya529:

Again, give them back their taxes that paid for religious schools through tax credits and exemptions for churches so they can use it to pay for their birth control.

Quoting JTROX:

People are having their religious freedoms infringed on by being forced to financially support other's beliefs on the use of birth control.  Those people are not trying to stop women from their right to bc, they just don't want to provide it to them.  

I don't know what you are referring to.  Could you be more specific?  How are the religious schools and churches be funded through taxes?

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Since when did free birth control become a basic right?

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Quoting tazz67mom:

Quoting CABZS:

Why should something that has not been born yet have more rights than the woman carrying it; hosting it? 

Most do not use it as a form of birth control, you are acting like the majority of women are out there getting multiple abortions & you would be very wrong.

You can not kill something that hasn't been born yet, that may never be born.

So keeping abortion legal doe not legalize killing/murder.

To save a life that can not survive outside the host, that can not breath on it's own, that may never become a life.

Don't know about you but the moment I found out I was pregnant I loved and wanted my child. Women who loose a child while pregnant still lost a child even if it had not been born yet. I said nothing about people having more that one abortions. But getting pregnant then killing that child is a form of birth control. Does it not prevent the child from being born. I would give my life for any of my children, not the other way around! It is murder, you just don't like the ugly truth.

I never said I didn't think of my child as a "baby" the moment I found out I was pregnant.  But something you & many others fail to realize.....we are not all the same!

My sister NEVER EVER EVER wanted children.  Her & her DH did everything to make sure it couldn't happen, except from abstinence & she got pregnant.  She had my niece who is loved by everyone but my sister.  She didn't get an abortion bc everyone said "you will love your baby, maternal instincts will kick in, you'll see."  She was talked into having a child she didn't & doesn't want.

She hated pregnanc, everything little thing about it.

Not everyone wants kids, not everyone likes kids & no they should not have to stop having sex w/their husband!

You should not be forcing YOUR beliefs on everyone.  But go ahead, take away rights, have more unwanted children, more foster kids, more deaths due to backyard abortions.  That may be what you want but not what I want.

Contrary to popular belief being pro-choice doesn't mean we "like" abortion or want it to happen it means we know it will open up doors to take more rights away from women & we know it won't end abortion & that it will create more problems.  It is a matter of safety as well.  I would hate to see women die horrible deaths, diseases that will come up from unsterilized intruments & rooms & then children being born w/missing limbs or worse due to botched abortions.  We also know that more children will be abused & foster care will be more filled than it is now.

gamermom81
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I still do not see why any company or the people of the us should be paying for women's birth control method..how about dont have sex there is a 100% fail proof form of birth control..if you want to have sex be responsible and pay for your own birth control..and no I am not an abstinence pusher I love sex..I got a job and paid for my own birth control when I was a teenager.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:50 AM

The most important issue is the debt,and Obama lost my trust a long time ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN