Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

11 month old knocked tooth totally forward-- UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:10 AM
  • 37 Replies

Okay full story:

My 11 month old son decided to bite down on a wood table and fell backwards yanking the right front tooth straight forward. I immediately took him to the hospital where we waited. For hours. Then finally an on call dental trauma chick came in, wiggled it, and said to come in in the morning and she would pull it. She wants to strap him down, give him a shot, then yank it out with the medical equivalent of pliers. I've done a lot of research on this tonight (notice it's 4am) and I am not sure that pulling it out is the right thing to do with him being so young. In most cases it seems to be okay around 2 or so, but he's not even a year. And I'm REALLY not comfortable with a papoose board. My biggest problem here is that it needs to be taken care of immediately- it hurts him and it's severely out of place. It hardened into the straight forward position. Can they not just put it back into place and see if it will heal? Has anyone been through this with a child this young?

UPDATE:  We just got back from the dentist. They did have to pull it, they took an x-ray but could tell it was only barely hanging on. They let us hold him instead of strapping him down, thank God... and instead of a shot she used a topical anesthetic. He cried but he didn't fight us which I think he might havce if he had been held down tightly (hands or board either way he doesn't like being held tight.. he's a soft snuggle kind of kid). My husband says the tooth just popped right out. I didn't watch. He's home and cruisin around again. A little cranky but not much. He barfed all over me a few minutes ago -I think it was just a reaction to the pain, meds, and a bottle and a half all too close together because he's happy as can be at the moment. He keeps playing with the hole, lol.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MajorsMom8215
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:11 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:11 AM
1 mom liked this
You need an emergency dentist not some idiot with pliers.
aidyns_mommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:13 AM
Take him to a dentist office/ oral surgeon not the ER in the morning...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I would take him to a pediatric dentist in the morning. A papoose is really not that big a deal. I've allowed both of my kids to be in one. It's really for their best interest. Fighting and struggling against the doctor will hurt him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MajorsMom8215
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

You need an emergency dentist not some idiot with pliers.

Yeah, the emergency dentist is the one who wants to use "pliers"....

sadeyez11
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:15 AM
take him to a pediatric dentist. my son fell when he was 1 1/2 and the nerve in his tooth died. his tooth got infected and grey and he couldnt eat. the dr sent him to the dentist immediately. the dentist got some plier things and pulled it out. he didnt.numb him or hold him down. ds was in so much pain so he wanted to feel better. tons of pus came out and then he was fine. goodluck and hope your baby feels better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MajorsMom8215
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:16 AM

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

I would take him to a pediatric dentist in the morning. A papoose is really not that big a deal. I've allowed both of my kids to be in one. It's really for their best interest. Fighting and struggling against the doctor will hurt him.

Right, I realize struggling wouldn't be good... I was thinking conscious sedation might be a better route, though. Were your kids able to relax in it?

krunchykorn
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:16 AM
umm push it back if you can and let it die off itself. thats what my mum did with my sister at 8months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MajorsMom8215
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Quoting sadeyez11:

take him to a pediatric dentist. my son fell when he was 1 1/2 and the nerve in his tooth died. his tooth got infected and grey and he couldnt eat. the dr sent him to the dentist immediately. the dentist got some plier things and pulled it out. he didnt.numb him or hold him down. ds was in so much pain so he wanted to feel better. tons of pus came out and then he was fine. goodluck and hope your baby feels better soon.

So far his is still attached and seems to be in "working" order... but it's in a really grotesque position. How long did it take from when he hurt it to when you knew there was something wrong with it?

MumsTheWord571
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:19 AM
My DS was nearly 3.5 when he had to get blood drawn. Eventually he just submitted to it and let it happen. With DD She was 10 mo and cried, but no struggling while in it. Just soothe him as best you can. Rub his head and coo at him, or his feet (wherever you're at) let him know it is okay and it'll be over soon.

Quoting MajorsMom8215:

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Right, I realize struggling wouldn't be good... I was thinking conscious sedation might be a better route, though. Were your kids able to relax in it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured