Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are YOU Better Off Now than Four Years Ago?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am not....nothing as changed at all.  

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:16 AM
Replies (641-650):
AnAngelsKiss
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Did you try an antibiotic? Any dr not just a dentist could have given you an antibiotic.

Quoting lipsis:

Vision and hearing screenings are required to be provided to you by the federal government. And yes, I know the sadness of emergency dental. I have migraines because of an impacted, infected wisdom tooth that grows sideways and has turned gray. I have health insurance, but it won't do anything until a whole side of my face blows up. Then it'll cost Blue Cross and Blue Shield a lot more than if they had just paid for my to have it pulled when I learned about the problem.

Quoting AnAngelsKiss: The emergency dental is yank the tooth no matter the problem doesn't matter if it is your front tooth. The vision screening is still available too. As far as getting glasses that is out of pocket and everyone I know on state med can't afford $200 out of pocket so the government will pay more in disability monthly when that person goes blind then they could have paid for the pair of glasses every couple years.

Quoting lipsis: That a state-level thing, so who you vote for president won't affect that. :( The federal government requires that states provide dental and vision services to children who are covered by Medicaid. However, states have the option to provide those services to their adult Medicaid-eligible population. While most states provide at least emergency dental services for Medicaid-eligible adults, less than half of the states provide comprehensive dental care. There are no minimum requirements for adult dental coverage. Your state still offers dental and vision to children. And they still offer dental for pregnant women and adults living in nursing homes.

Quoting AnAngelsKiss: Jan of 2011 the state of Washington cut off access to dental and vision with state medical.

Quoting lipsis: The Federal minimum elgibility for Medicaid was living at or below the Federal Poverty Line. It has been expanded to include individuals between the ages of 19 up to 65 (children, pregnant women, parents, and adults without dependent children) with incomes up to 133% FPL based on modified adjusted gross income. As before, the state can include people making more than that if they so choose.

Quoting AnAngelsKiss: How was medicade expanded when dental and vision was removed.

Quoting lipsis: I figure she was talking about how Medicaid was expanded so more families could use its benefits.

Quoting AnAngelsKiss: I have a low income family and I have not benefited in the past 4 at all. I am actually worse much worse off.

Quoting Anonymous: No.  Low income families are they only ones that have benefited financially from the past 4 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pj2becca21
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:00 PM

No we are not. It got worse for us. 

Yogamom08
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM
It's amazing how different all kids on the spectrum are! My son is very emotional and affectionate...however he can be a bit rough lol but he asks for hugs and tells me he loves me. He is very observant....he always notices when I am wearing something he has never seen before and will say, "mom, I like your new shirt!" Haha and he notices when I get dressed up and will tell me I look beautiful :) so I think he will make an amazing partner some day! I am so glad I have at least 10-15 years before he starts dating lol

Quoting lipsis:

It wasn't as scary as it might sound. They have a lot of technology now. But that technology comes at a price, so I was so glad we could afford it.

As a mom that's never dealt with that, but knows from being family that he's not really responsive/touchy-feely, I was more wondering how they'd teach him to be a good boyfriend. But I think you and my cousin hit the nail on the head by first worrying about protecting your child. Of course the first impulse, and the right one, is to make sure no one takes advantage of your son. I hope she can help him identify a good girlfriend from a bad one. (He's not getting it yet. He insists that even if a girl is crazy, she would be a good girlfriend because he could just be such a good boyfriend that she wouldn't have to act crazy.) It sounds like your son's doing well. My cousin has mourned how "invisible" it is at times though. She watched the Glee Project, and I guess they had someone with Aspergers as a contestant. And they didn't give him clear direction, or correct his inappropriate behavior, but at the end of each week would tell him that he had been unprofessional. My cousin would get so mad and talk to me about it, and say they had a blind contestant and a contestant with a wheelchair , and they were happy to accomodate their needs with choreography, but they weren't willing to speak a couple words to him that would help him understand his boundaries. I didn't watch, but i guess he asked why they didn't say something if something he was doing was unprofessional, and they said "We're going to give you enough rope to hang yourself. This is a competition." But my cousin's son hates when anyone treats him differently or makes accomodations for him, so maybe it's good this an "invisble" thing, too. :)

Quoting Yogamom08:

Wow, sounds like a scary experience, but I am so glad your son is doing well! What a miracle!

As DS has gotten older, he definitely fits the Aspergers criteria more than Autism, but I don't see the point in having him reevaluated at this time. I imagine when he is in elementary school, that might change. Your cousin's son's situation definitely hits close to home as far as my fears for the future. I am so protective, I don't want anyone to take advantage of him! But he is doing so well, if you didn't know any better you wouldn't know he was "different" than any other 4 year old.

Quoting lipsis:

My water broke at 25 weeks. He had acid reflux, apnea of prematurity, chronic lung disease, and he couldn't pass his ROP test... retna something or other of prematurity. Basically his eyes weren't reacting to their test. Really, he just needed to cook a little longer. The NICU staff was really good, and did a great job fooling his body into thinking he was still inside a mommy and not outside in such a scary, overstimulating place. He hasn't quite "closed the gap" by reaching the same milestones as babies born at the same time as him, but he's fast approaching it. Preemies do a lot of "catch up growth." So he went a long time with not being able to sit up. Then in about two weeks, he sat up, sat up unassisted, started crawling, stood up, and started cruising (walking while holding on to stationary objects, like walking a round a table). I went from feeling almost panicked about how late he was in developing to running around to all the light sockets to babyproof them.

Autism is verrrry challenging. My cousin's son was considered autistic when he was really young (about two), and they worked hard to do everything for him that was recommended. Now he's considered to have Aspergers. I don't know where and when they changed that diagnosis. But he's a teenager now. He does really well in math and science. He's a pretty good looking kid. He's not the most emotionally responsive/demonstratively loving child, but he's 17. I think our big concern (since we see the working of his inner mind through his frequent FB posts) is that his social development is a bit late and all of a sudden he really, really wants to have a girlfriend and have sex. He talks about it all the time, and has trouble understanding when talking about this would be appropriate or would not. This kind of jumped out at my cousin, because she'd been so focused on guiding him toward careers where he wouldn't have to deal with people, but his way of thinking would be rewarded (like programming). But now, with less than ten months left before he goes to college, they have to make sure he understands relationship subtleties, help him identify when he's being used, and especially understands that it is important to avoid getting a girl pregnant. I'm so glad my children are little!

Quoting Yogamom08: I am glad things are looking up for you and that you found an awesome man!

If you don't mind my asking, what special needs does your child have?

DS is autistic (he was diagnosed at 2.5), and he is doing so awesome compared to a few years ago! So that is one more detail to add to my list of reasons we are better off today :)

Quoting lipsis: Yeah, four years ago, I was a single mom, too. I'd been divorced for about seven months, my ex-husband had just stopped paying his child support at that point. I think he was three months behind. And I had just started dating my husband during that time. I used the MomCare division of Medicaid when pregnant in 2002-2003. And I used WIC from 2003 to 2005. And a program that allowed me to get my birth control for free. But after that, my then-husband and I separated and started divorcing. (It took three years to get divorced.) After we separated, I never used PA again. Unless you could qualifying for the Earned Income Tax Credit as PA. I tried to apply for Legal Aid, but I made almost $20k a year at the time, so I made too much money to qualify. So, the attorney fees and expenses of my divorce ($13,000) were on me. In the past four years, my husband's married me, he's gotten a job making almost four times as much money as he ever made before, he encouraged me to stay at home with my daughter if that was what I wanted, and we had a baby who was born with special needs. (His birth cost us about $10,000 out of pocket.) Now our baby is doing much better, and we're anticipating that he'll be discharged from Occupational Therapy by January. He's already been discharged from Speech Therapy. And none of this meant we had to go into debt. We afforded it all. (Being able to pay a large, unexpected bill feels like being rich. And having a generous food budget when I walk in the grocery store. Those are the two things that make me walk around feeling like I'm wealthy.)

So, I'm doing way better, too. Good men rock!

Quoting Yogamom08: I don't know what she was thinking because she never responded! All I know is 4 years ago, I was in an emotionally abusive relationship with an alcoholic and had just given birth to a baby boy. I got out of my relationship and raised my son alone with zero help from bio dad. Today, I am married to a wonderful man who treats me the way I have always wanted to be treated. He has adopted my DS and loves/treats him like his own. He financially supports us so I can be a stay at home mom, and I am 4 months pregnant with his only natural child. So....I am absolutely 100% better off physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially than I was 4 years ago regardless of the state of the economy or who is president LOL I don't know what made that girl think that just because I answered "yes" it means I am on welfare. I have never been on any kind of assistance, even as a single mom.

Quoting lipsis: Hahaha! Good catch. I assume she thinks everyone is doing worse or on Welfare, even Barack Obama, Mitt Romney and the supporters who have donated to their campaigns (which have raised more than any other previous campaigns).

Quoting Yogamom08: Please correct me if I am misunderstanding, but are you implying that I am on welfare?

Quoting Anonymous: Only for people on welfare, those of us who provide for ourselves and our families are different stories

Quoting Yogamom08: Hell yea! A thousand times better!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Yes. I was in an abusive relationship and coming off drugs. Now I'm in a healthy relationship, I'm drug free, we have an amazing 7 month old and I am happy.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
This!!! Finished college(thanks to fed aid) got married finished grad school. Had a few babies lol bought two houses and two cars. Went from divorce + foodstamps to well over 100k a year :)

Quoting Yogamom08:

Hell yea! A thousand times better!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopefulmommy22
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM
No
lipsis
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM

My dentist has told me that nothing can be done except extract the tooth, which he'd need to refer me to an oral surgeon for.

Quoting AnAngelsKiss:

Did you try an antibiotic? Any dr not just a dentist could have given you an antibiotic.

Quoting lipsis:

Vision and hearing screenings are required to be provided to you by the federal government. And yes, I know the sadness of emergency dental. I have migraines because of an impacted, infected wisdom tooth that grows sideways and has turned gray. I have health insurance, but it won't do anything until a whole side of my face blows up. Then it'll cost Blue Cross and Blue Shield a lot more than if they had just paid for my to have it pulled when I learned about the problem.

Quoting AnAngelsKiss: The emergency dental is yank the tooth no matter the problem doesn't matter if it is your front tooth. The vision screening is still available too. As far as getting glasses that is out of pocket and everyone I know on state med can't afford $200 out of pocket so the government will pay more in disability monthly when that person goes blind then they could have paid for the pair of glasses every couple years.

Quoting lipsis: That a state-level thing, so who you vote for president won't affect that. :( The federal government requires that states provide dental and vision services to children who are covered by Medicaid. However, states have the option to provide those services to their adult Medicaid-eligible population. While most states provide at least emergency dental services for Medicaid-eligible adults, less than half of the states provide comprehensive dental care. There are no minimum requirements for adult dental coverage. Your state still offers dental and vision to children. And they still offer dental for pregnant women and adults living in nursing homes.

Quoting AnAngelsKiss: Jan of 2011 the state of Washington cut off access to dental and vision with state medical.

Quoting lipsis: The Federal minimum elgibility for Medicaid was living at or below the Federal Poverty Line. It has been expanded to include individuals between the ages of 19 up to 65 (children, pregnant women, parents, and adults without dependent children) with incomes up to 133% FPL based on modified adjusted gross income. As before, the state can include people making more than that if they so choose.

Quoting AnAngelsKiss: How was medicade expanded when dental and vision was removed.

Quoting lipsis: I figure she was talking about how Medicaid was expanded so more families could use its benefits.

Quoting AnAngelsKiss: I have a low income family and I have not benefited in the past 4 at all. I am actually worse much worse off.

Quoting Anonymous: No.  Low income families are they only ones that have benefited financially from the past 4 years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Nope. 

jmama0307
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Yup we are
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lipsis
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM

But, don't you realize that by using the word "continue" you're illustrating that benefits have not improved. It's just that more people qualify for them. I don't think people enjoy being on PA any more than they did previously. They just have become more hated for using it. Just over 24%-- almost a quarter-- of the people who are in that vilified "47%" identify themselves as conservatives. And will vote for any GOP Presidential candidate, wether it's Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, or Herman Caine.

But sure, they are awful, terrible people.

Almost 15% of the population is on food stamps. I'm sure they cackle with evil laughs as they buy their government cheese, living high off the government tit. Please.

Quoting luckystars2012: Because low income families have been able to continue to obtain large amounts of welfare benefits, and in fact those benefits have increased and more programs are now availible.

IMO living off the govt tit is a pretty big benefit.
Quoting Anonymous: Really? Funny, I'm in a low income family and we can't find housing that will accept us, no childcare that isn't outrageously priced, and we can barely afford the food we eat and rent in the one place that grudgingly accepted us. Tell me how low income families have benefitted.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured