Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just because you're poor... Edits in red.

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM
  • 153 Replies
6 moms liked this

Just because you're poor does not mean you have to live like trash! Be grateful for what you have, and respect yourself and your property. I don't understand how some people can just not take care of the appearance of their home. Seriosly, people! Have a little pride!

Here I was thinking we had a great deal on a nice, clean apartment that could help us save money when we signed the lease. Yesterday I forgot my phone when I was pulling out of the parking lot, and I figured rather than doing a U-turn, I'd just circle around the complex. WOW! I thought we got lucky and were living really nice! The other side of the complex was so trashy! People had beer bottles and cigarette butts accumulating outside, trash outside their door when the dumpster is a short walk away, busted up furniture sitting outside the dumpster, blinds falling and window screens falling off of the windows and then covered up with sheets and blankets (maintenance had no problem replacing mine when ds knocked them down), and kids running around outside in diapers during a coldfront. For the past couple of months we've been having problems with people stealing RANDOM things that aren't worth shit off of our patio. When we signed the lease 5 months ago, the area was NOTHING like this.

I haven't felt poor in a long time, but after driving around I felt like trash. I've been really proud of the home we've made for ourselves until now. I'm pretty certain we'll be moving when this lease is up.

I'm not trying to say that this is strictly an issue of being low income. I know that, I understand what everyone is saying, and I'm not trying to make one big sweeping generalization. That being said, I know of many people who will use it as an excuse to live like this.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry to hear that about your neighborhood. I wish people would take more pride in their things and spaces.

Chin up, make your place shine. Don't let them get to you.

Hope you bust the thief stealing off your patio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM
6 moms liked this

The way they keep their homes is no reflection on you. Just do your part and live proud.

eastcoastmama11
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:41 AM
4 moms liked this

You never know the situation of others. It's better not to judge or make generalizations purely off appearance.

Anyway.. you are not where you live, so don't let that make you feel bad about yourself.

DazeDelights
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:44 AM
6 moms liked this
Why didn't you check the area out before moving in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:44 AM
8 moms liked this
See you need to understand that their situation and their enviroment go hand in hand. Some people are poor because of a bad turn, and some people are poor because they are lazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NeverABreak
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Maybe I'm judging a little. I was raised to take pride in whatever I have, even if it doesn't seem like much. I just don't understand why people wouldn't care about the image they're portraying. I guess I'm coming off a little snobby, but it really was a shock for me to see my neighborhood like this.

Quoting eastcoastmama11:

You never know the situation of others. It's better not to judge or make generalizations purely off appearance.

Anyway.. you are not where you live, so don't let that make you feel bad about yourself.

NeverABreak
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:47 AM

I did! It was clean and well kept! Management enforced really strict rules on the appearance and cleanliness of the apartments. It seems like the past 3 months it's completely turned around.

Quoting DazeDelights:

Why didn't you check the area out before moving in?

mommybug77
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe they don't care what you think. Not everyone lives to please others.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:48 AM
5 moms liked this

Damnnnnnnnnnn girl!   This problem is easy to solve.Just NEVER drive around to "the other side" of the complex.Yeah, stay in OZ, where apparently life looks better. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Quoting NeverABreak:

we have more money than most around us. We don't care to dress like it. I'm on my way to the store in sweats with my youngest in her footie PJs. Its chilly out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN