Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just because you're poor... Edits in red.

Posted by   + Show Post

Just because you're poor does not mean you have to live like trash! Be grateful for what you have, and respect yourself and your property. I don't understand how some people can just not take care of the appearance of their home. Seriosly, people! Have a little pride!

Here I was thinking we had a great deal on a nice, clean apartment that could help us save money when we signed the lease. Yesterday I forgot my phone when I was pulling out of the parking lot, and I figured rather than doing a U-turn, I'd just circle around the complex. WOW! I thought we got lucky and were living really nice! The other side of the complex was so trashy! People had beer bottles and cigarette butts accumulating outside, trash outside their door when the dumpster is a short walk away, busted up furniture sitting outside the dumpster, blinds falling and window screens falling off of the windows and then covered up with sheets and blankets (maintenance had no problem replacing mine when ds knocked them down), and kids running around outside in diapers during a coldfront. For the past couple of months we've been having problems with people stealing RANDOM things that aren't worth shit off of our patio. When we signed the lease 5 months ago, the area was NOTHING like this.

I haven't felt poor in a long time, but after driving around I felt like trash. I've been really proud of the home we've made for ourselves until now. I'm pretty certain we'll be moving when this lease is up.

I'm not trying to say that this is strictly an issue of being low income. I know that, I understand what everyone is saying, and I'm not trying to make one big sweeping generalization. That being said, I know of many people who will use it as an excuse to live like this.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Replies (21-30):
NeverABreak
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM

It was a trailor. That was home enough for me at the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you own a home and not have insurance? My mortgage holder insisted on it-if you didn't have any-they would buy it FOR you (and they would be the benificiaries)

kidlover2
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm happy that you were able to get out of your situation. I was in a parallel one. My husband left me for another woman, I lost my job, had to find my dog a new home, I racked up thousands of dollars in medical bills due to a staph infection, and then to top it off, my house got flooded out in Hurricane Irene. My story always gets the "who could ever be that unlucky" look. :) I chalk it up to experience and a whole new outlook on the welfare system and empathy for people. I never judge anymore. You never know what someone is going through. Oh... and I should mention all of those things happened to me between April-September of 2011.
Quoting NeverABreak:

I'm happy for you that you were able to take that experience and let it motivate you to better yourself! It's a hard hole to get out of. Dh and I lost everything we owned in a house fire a little over a year and a half ago, and have been slowly crawling out of this hole. We weren't exactly well off before the fire hit, but we weren't struggling (just stupid for not getting insurance on our home). Things have finally started looking up since we moved here, and we've gotten a handle on our finances. We still live paycheck to paycheck, but I'm never worried about paying the bills or buying things we need. I think no matter what stage you are in life, you should always look for ways to better yourself.

Quoting kidlover2:

I understand what you are saying... really. Most people were shocked to know that I was so poor because I was born in a upper middle class family and had a decent education. I look at my nieces who have screwups as parents, live in the grandmother's garage and previously in a foul abject trailer. They will most likely grow up and follow the same patterns of nastiness and "trashiness" because that is normal to them. Why should they do anything different? Their lifestyle is comfortable and familiar. I was able to escape from the poverty lifestyle because it was NOT familiar. It was NOT comfortable. I worked my bum off to move beyond that. I sympathize with the people who have no desire to better themselves, they just don't know any different.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM

gardening is such a wonderful skill. 

we're not rollin in it, but my beautifully landscaped front yard looks like we are.  ;)

that is all. 

AccidentalAdult
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Some "rich" people don't take care of their shit. *shrug*

NeverABreak
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I wish I had a green thumb. Even my ivy plant isn't looking too good, and I heard those were hard to kill.

Quoting sugareemommee:

we're not rollin in it, but my beautifully landscaped front yard looks like we are.  ;)

that is all. 

NeverABreak
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Good point... but there sure as hell aren't any rich people living in my neck of the woods.

Quoting AccidentalAdult:

Some "rich" people don't take care of their shit. *shrug*

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I agree with you... I have a neighbor and God knows I love her but she has 6 kids... They have been here for 3 months and still have boxes and junk piled in their house, their basement is a train wreck, and their back room/laundry room is so full of junk you can hardly open the door. 

I also used their rest room the other day, they ony have 1 bathroom and I almost threw up when I went in... Shes a SAHM and I have no idea what she does all day, but she obviously doesnt clean.

Like I said God knows I love her and her kids, but man her house and cleanliness makes me want to throw up. 

sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

haha if they don't get enough light in the colder weeks it will start to brown.

how is it's pot, could it be re-potted? 

make sure he's in a window with a ton of light and water 1-2x a week! 

I can't kill houseplants.  my friend came over the other day and counted them because she says I'm a nut. 

I had 46. 

Quoting NeverABreak:

I wish I had a green thumb. Even my ivy plant isn't looking too good, and I heard those were hard to kill.

Quoting sugareemommee:

that is all. 

NeverABreak
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Man, when it rains it pours!

Quoting kidlover2:

I'm happy that you were able to get out of your situation. I was in a parallel one. My husband left me for another woman, I lost my job, had to find my dog a new home, I racked up thousands of dollars in medical bills due to a staph infection, and then to top it off, my house got flooded out in Hurricane Irene. My story always gets the "who could ever be that unlucky" look. :) I chalk it up to experience and a whole new outlook on the welfare system and empathy for people. I never judge anymore. You never know what someone is going through. Oh... and I should mention all of those things happened to me between April-September of 2011.
Quoting NeverABreak:

I'm happy for you that you were able to take that experience and let it motivate you to better yourself! It's a hard hole to get out of. Dh and I lost everything we owned in a house fire a little over a year and a half ago, and have been slowly crawling out of this hole. We weren't exactly well off before the fire hit, but we weren't struggling (just stupid for not getting insurance on our home). Things have finally started looking up since we moved here, and we've gotten a handle on our finances. We still live paycheck to paycheck, but I'm never worried about paying the bills or buying things we need. I think no matter what stage you are in life, you should always look for ways to better yourself.

Quoting kidlover2:

I understand what you are saying... really. Most people were shocked to know that I was so poor because I was born in a upper middle class family and had a decent education. I look at my nieces who have screwups as parents, live in the grandmother's garage and previously in a foul abject trailer. They will most likely grow up and follow the same patterns of nastiness and "trashiness" because that is normal to them. Why should they do anything different? Their lifestyle is comfortable and familiar. I was able to escape from the poverty lifestyle because it was NOT familiar. It was NOT comfortable. I worked my bum off to move beyond that. I sympathize with the people who have no desire to better themselves, they just don't know any different.

NeverABreak
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Oh hell, I've been watering it every day because I thought it was dying. I guess I could cut back a little lol.

Quoting sugareemommee:

haha if they don't get enough light in the colder weeks it will start to brown.

how is it's pot, could it be re-potted? 

make sure he's in a window with a ton of light and water 1-2x a week! 

I can't kill houseplants.  my friend came over the other day and counted them because she says I'm a nut. 

I had 46. 

Quoting NeverABreak:

Quoting sugareemommee:

that is all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN