Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just because you're poor... Edits in red.

Posted by   + Show Post

Just because you're poor does not mean you have to live like trash! Be grateful for what you have, and respect yourself and your property. I don't understand how some people can just not take care of the appearance of their home. Seriosly, people! Have a little pride!

Here I was thinking we had a great deal on a nice, clean apartment that could help us save money when we signed the lease. Yesterday I forgot my phone when I was pulling out of the parking lot, and I figured rather than doing a U-turn, I'd just circle around the complex. WOW! I thought we got lucky and were living really nice! The other side of the complex was so trashy! People had beer bottles and cigarette butts accumulating outside, trash outside their door when the dumpster is a short walk away, busted up furniture sitting outside the dumpster, blinds falling and window screens falling off of the windows and then covered up with sheets and blankets (maintenance had no problem replacing mine when ds knocked them down), and kids running around outside in diapers during a coldfront. For the past couple of months we've been having problems with people stealing RANDOM things that aren't worth shit off of our patio. When we signed the lease 5 months ago, the area was NOTHING like this.

I haven't felt poor in a long time, but after driving around I felt like trash. I've been really proud of the home we've made for ourselves until now. I'm pretty certain we'll be moving when this lease is up.

I'm not trying to say that this is strictly an issue of being low income. I know that, I understand what everyone is saying, and I'm not trying to make one big sweeping generalization. That being said, I know of many people who will use it as an excuse to live like this.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Replies (31-40):
mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM
2 moms liked this

*note to self, never let any of the  children run outside during the summer with just a diaper on, someone may think we are poor.

Ethansmommy1987
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Its not just poor. We used live in brand new expensive townhouses, and there was a lot of what you just described.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Sorry to hear that about your neighborhood. I wish people would take more pride in their things and spaces.

Chin up, make your place shine. Don't let them get to you.

Hope you bust the thief stealing off your patio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this
My favorite saying- clean doesn't cost!
Mommy052012
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Thats why I am glad we own our own home!

Risley_Six
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm in housing (blah blah blah, bash bash bash) because my husband is a disabled veteran, and we pay the maximum rent, 475, which is high for our area even for non-housing. But I have a four bedroom home we take very good care of. Other people here, not so much. Our house sits alone next to two adjacent apartments and both families over there are just trash! I don't judge people, cuz idgaf really, but, if you can spend so much money on getting drunk, 5 nights a week, why don't your children have clothes that fit?!?! We live off of 10p a month after bills and groceries, and gas and our children / home / selves are always presentable. Being poor is no excuse to not clean your damn house or shower.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yellowlily333
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

wow..not to sound snobby but I would move too. I would rather pay a little more nt to deal with that!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

lol, don't you hate that? Its like that here, but the manager is pretty good about getting on peoples asses about

trash, now, i let my son run around in a diaper, and on the back patio its fenced in, he'll be out with no diaper.

And i must say he likes his nakey time. We had a kid get in our yard once, my hubby caught him and told him he needed to knock it off, he got home said the kid did not look more than 10. Later we realized he thieved some bubbles

Nerdy_Mama
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

You must live in the same apartment complex that my husband and I lived in right after we got married.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Well, that was a predictable reply. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting cupomeow:

That is the difference between 'poor' and 'poor white trash'.

this could be poor black or poor Mexican trash too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN