Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just because you're poor... Edits in red.

Posted by   + Show Post

Just because you're poor does not mean you have to live like trash! Be grateful for what you have, and respect yourself and your property. I don't understand how some people can just not take care of the appearance of their home. Seriosly, people! Have a little pride!

Here I was thinking we had a great deal on a nice, clean apartment that could help us save money when we signed the lease. Yesterday I forgot my phone when I was pulling out of the parking lot, and I figured rather than doing a U-turn, I'd just circle around the complex. WOW! I thought we got lucky and were living really nice! The other side of the complex was so trashy! People had beer bottles and cigarette butts accumulating outside, trash outside their door when the dumpster is a short walk away, busted up furniture sitting outside the dumpster, blinds falling and window screens falling off of the windows and then covered up with sheets and blankets (maintenance had no problem replacing mine when ds knocked them down), and kids running around outside in diapers during a coldfront. For the past couple of months we've been having problems with people stealing RANDOM things that aren't worth shit off of our patio. When we signed the lease 5 months ago, the area was NOTHING like this.

I haven't felt poor in a long time, but after driving around I felt like trash. I've been really proud of the home we've made for ourselves until now. I'm pretty certain we'll be moving when this lease is up.

I'm not trying to say that this is strictly an issue of being low income. I know that, I understand what everyone is saying, and I'm not trying to make one big sweeping generalization. That being said, I know of many people who will use it as an excuse to live like this.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Replies (51-60):
momsince1989
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM

that's frustrating uggh and I deal with that in our neighborhood too. I can't wait til the day when we are able to buy a home:) Chin up and keep moving up you sound like you have a great attitude:) Not making excuses but I think some people get apathetic when they are poor. It's one of the reasons why home ownership is key to the American Dream imo.

crystal_88
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Quoting Thelmama:

The way they keep their homes is no reflection on you. Just do your part and live proud.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

It is sad when people don't care about their homes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM
That stinks. Can you file a complaint with management?
AleaKat
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM
No but it effects your property value and being able to sell your home if you need to.

Quoting Thelmama:

The way they keep their homes is no reflection on you. Just do your part and live proud.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM

This is true, but there is nothing one can do about what others do in this situation.  She lives in an apartment complex so she can't sell anyway. I understand her frustration, I have lived in an apartment complex very similar. Our side was nice and neat an all. The back side of the complex was horrid. I was glad when we were finally able to move.  But I just made sure I kept mine nice and well taken care of.  It is all she can do at this point.  

Quoting AleaKat:

No but it effects your property value and being able to sell your home if you need to.

Quoting Thelmama:

tiffanydearing
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

my mom always taught me that soap and water is cheap, not many good excuses to live in filth. does your state have bottle returns? you could always collect em up yourself and get a little extra pocket change!!! (:

Aleta775
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

A lot of people that are poor get very depressed. So, they don't work as hard to maintain anything. That's not a great excuse though. I've been poor most of my life, but I always tried to keep my home tidy and welcoming.

SusieQue717
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

can I see pictures? I love pictures! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

There is a reason why some poor are poor....There's a reason why some apartments in low income areas are cheap.

I've lived in them while I was saving for a down payment for my house before I had kids. Many of them are not a place where I would want to raise my kids. It's more of the ghetto culture of letting kids run around like heathens and not giving a shit than anything else.

I'd keep your chin up (and for the love of god don't leave anything on your patio that you don't mind stolen, keep your cars/doors locked, and don't keep anything you don't want jacked in your car).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN