Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just because you're poor... Edits in red.

Posted by   + Show Post

Just because you're poor does not mean you have to live like trash! Be grateful for what you have, and respect yourself and your property. I don't understand how some people can just not take care of the appearance of their home. Seriosly, people! Have a little pride!

Here I was thinking we had a great deal on a nice, clean apartment that could help us save money when we signed the lease. Yesterday I forgot my phone when I was pulling out of the parking lot, and I figured rather than doing a U-turn, I'd just circle around the complex. WOW! I thought we got lucky and were living really nice! The other side of the complex was so trashy! People had beer bottles and cigarette butts accumulating outside, trash outside their door when the dumpster is a short walk away, busted up furniture sitting outside the dumpster, blinds falling and window screens falling off of the windows and then covered up with sheets and blankets (maintenance had no problem replacing mine when ds knocked them down), and kids running around outside in diapers during a coldfront. For the past couple of months we've been having problems with people stealing RANDOM things that aren't worth shit off of our patio. When we signed the lease 5 months ago, the area was NOTHING like this.

I haven't felt poor in a long time, but after driving around I felt like trash. I've been really proud of the home we've made for ourselves until now. I'm pretty certain we'll be moving when this lease is up.

I'm not trying to say that this is strictly an issue of being low income. I know that, I understand what everyone is saying, and I'm not trying to make one big sweeping generalization. That being said, I know of many people who will use it as an excuse to live like this.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Replies (61-70):
Cheribomb
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM

that is exactly why we got out of apartment living....  

Pollymom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Quoting NeverABreak:

Maybe I'm judging a little. I was raised to take pride in whatever I have, even if it doesn't seem like much. I just don't understand why people wouldn't care about the image they're portraying. I guess I'm coming off a little snobby, but it really was a shock for me to see my neighborhood like this.

Quoting eastcoastmama11:

You never know the situation of others. It's better not to judge or make generalizations purely off appearance.

Anyway.. you are not where you live, so don't let that make you feel bad about yourself.

I don't think you sound snobby...you have pride and self-respect.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM
That stinks! Hopefully you'll be able to move and own soon :). You'd be an ideal neighbor!
furbabymum
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

We looked like the worst sort of white trash for a year with 2 washers and 2 dryers sitting outside. Didn't want to pay $35 a piece for the trash people to take them but had no vehicle large enough to take them ourselves. Finally borrowed my dad's truck and took them to recycling. Made $12 and look so much less trashy!

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Lmao! You didn't walk around the complex before moving in? With? Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Drive back and get pics!

Quoting SusieQue717:

can I see pictures? I love pictures! 

otoole
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

alot of students are like that. when i first moved into this place, i didn know i had students next door, until i heard them with music up full blast in the middle of the night, they also had beer cans and bottles outside with ciggerete butts all over the yeard to. it was nasty and because i look 16 even thow im 26, people figured i was just the same as them. boy was i glad when they moved out after a few weeks.i pray to god more students don't move in again.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom was a divorced mom to 3, with no CS.  She had some tough years. But she always said that "being poor does not mean you have to be dirty". SO mom, keep doing what you are doing. You can't control others, but you can always do the right thing for yourself :) Good luck

catchup29
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Quoting DazeDelights:

Why didn't you check the area out before moving in?

That is what I was wondering.  We moved in July.  Before we took this house, we came here no less then 10 times, during different times of the day and night.  We sat and watched, we talked to neighbors and business owners.  I take where I live very seriously.  

kimmie678
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Ik what u mean... I wish I could shake people sometimes .. and say exactly that respect what u do have .. I don't. Have anything I just started over. From scratch but u wouldn't know it if u seen my place ! Its not that hard to take care of your things!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)