Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cheerleaders take stand on religion

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Apparently they put things on their banners like if God is for us, who can break us..

The football team runs through it.

A orginzation called freedom from religion complained and the school superintendent made them stop.

The girls say its not school sponsored, cheerleaders create their own banners and they got the ideas from pinterest

Today it goes to the state supreme court.

The girls want to be able to continue to make whatever banner they want

Should they be able to? Or should the organization win and have the banners mentioning God continue to be banned?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (361-370):
Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Once it occurs on school grounds during a sports events, school rules apply.

smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. We also have this thing called freedom of speech that covers things like this. My dh and I are from a small town just north of where this happened. Most of the town and the surrounding towns are on the side of the cheerleaders.

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

I say leave them alone.

FREEDOM OF RELIGION  not FREEDOM FROM RELIGION

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Eh. I wouldn't have a problem with it. I understand that just because someone posts something about God doesn't mean that I have to believe in it. Its a shame others can't grasp that concept. If this is something that helps those girls perform well...who is it hurting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teeloffel
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I <3 you, too.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

It has nothing to do with being insulted or offended. It has to do with giving special preference to one religion through a government institution. 

You have no idea what it's like to be of a minority belief in this country. When was the last time someone just assumed you were something that you were not, then treated you differently when they found out? How would you like to be considered untrustworth simply based on your faith, or lack thereof? People like you will never get it. I don't know why I bother trying to explain. It's not the banners, statues, crosses, or having "In God We Trust" on our money. It's the exclusive, entitled mentality that it fosters.

Quoting hhhanna:

I'm glad (really glad) that that tradition and ceremony exists for your son's team.  However, there are many people who have heart palpitations if they hear the name God or Jesus said.  Eventually one of them will feel 'insulted' and a lawsuit will ensue.  Funny, we have 'In God We Trust' printed on our money, but saying it out loud, in a prayer is offensive to some.  Also odd that the people bringing the lawsuit can't seem to remember with freedom of speech there is the guarantee that you WILL be offended by what others may say.

Quoting m0m23b0ys458:

IDK,but I'm thankful I live in a small town,where people have more important things to do than wonder what religion a kid is.My son's coaches pray with the team before every game,have for the last two years,and guess what?Nobody says a damn word!

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Umm... seriously?  THAT's your reply?

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually the school is funded by us taxpayers

Quoting teeloffel:

No one is trying to "take away" your religion. But if this is occuring at a PUBLIC school, then it should not be allowed. The banners contents fall under separation of church and state.  The school is funded by the STATE, therefore there should be no religious commentary involved. 

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the big deal? It's a freaking banner!!! These "freedom from religion" groups are seriously pissing me off, you don't want religion, fine,.dont, but don't tell me I cant have mine, I dont put stipulations on you NOT having religion so dont put a stipulation on where I get to have mine. You want your freedom FROM religion and I want my freedom TO it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I guess it's okay to push your "non religion" on everyone?  Just because a banner was made, doesn't mean that they are "pushing" anything on anyone.

Quoting Anonymous:

They should be banned, unless this is specifically a church-sponsored event. If it's not through a church and they had those banners, I would not attend - just for the moral of it. They have no right to push religion on anyone.

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I see the entitlement of the Christians is out in full force... 

Odin save us

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Can someone please explain to me how excluding religion from a public school is a violation of your "freedom of speech"??

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

That and playing the victim. They're real good at that, too.

Quoting Sekirei:

I see the entitlement of the Christians is out in full force... 

Odin save us

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Quoting teeloffel:

Can someone please explain to me how excluding religion from a public school is a violation of your "freedom of speech"??

Cuz it's a christian nation.. doncha know?

But.. all hell would break out if a Charge to the Goddess was on the banner

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)