Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cheerleaders take stand on religion

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Apparently they put things on their banners like if God is for us, who can break us..

The football team runs through it.

A orginzation called freedom from religion complained and the school superintendent made them stop.

The girls say its not school sponsored, cheerleaders create their own banners and they got the ideas from pinterest

Today it goes to the state supreme court.

The girls want to be able to continue to make whatever banner they want

Should they be able to? Or should the organization win and have the banners mentioning God continue to be banned?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (411-420):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
It was E pluribus unim until the government manufactured the Red Scare in the 50's. This is NOT a Christian nation. And religion has no place in public schools, that's to protect ALL religions and lack thereof.

Quoting Jade65:

So surprized to see all the negative comments when these teens are writing positive verses for the team such as: Phillippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me” which is positive and encouraging and shows maturity instead of some negative slogan or expletive.  I believe the last time I checked, our Country's slogan was "In God We Trust."  Give the kids a break--they are actually doing something good, moral and positive--I would be a proud mom if any of them were mine. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Are you serious? It's a school sponsored function and the players are representatives of their schools.

Quoting Jamie1972:

If the football feild is not on school grounds then i dont see why they cant have whatever they want on their banners. They are not promoting or trying to convert anyone. Its a statement about the other team, how they cant them  imo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
They can't because it's not.

Quoting teeloffel:

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how their first amendment (freedom of speech) rights are being violated...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM
No. It's NOT an either/or situation at all.

Quoting hargonagain:

I just can't understand why people aren't allowed to show their faith in school.  If people who are aren't Christian get offended, then let them express their own beliefs.  I am proud to be a Christian but I won't condemn you if you aren't one.  The prison I work at allows expressions of all faiths.  We have Protestant, Catholic, Muslim, Native American, Jewish and other faiths represented.  The inmates are allowed to celebrate religious holidays and when our new Warden was confirmed this week the ceremony was lead with a prayer and her hand was placed on a Bible as she took her oath of office.  So, it's either allow religion in school, or your kids can get religion in prison!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Not while representing a public school. You're not special as a Christian, nor are you being persecuted. Get over it.

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06:

If no cheerleader or football player has an issue with it, then I do not see why the organization would care. Freedom of religion is just as much of a right for those that are Christians and choose to show it.
one.eye.sky
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Preach the word of God then go suck off the football team.

lol

chocolate75751
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Like this, sounds like my hometown back in OK. We had a football player go down on the field with a broken neck, religious or not the whole football team plus the other team got down on a knew and prayed for this young man. It was an awsome sight. 

Quoting m0m23b0ys458:

IDK,but I'm thankful I live in a small town,where people have more important things to do than wonder what religion a kid is.My son's coaches pray with the team before every game,have for the last two years,and guess what?Nobody says a damn word!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this
These whiny Christians on here drive me crazy. I guarantee if that sign said something about Allah, it would have been squashed in a heartbeat. Christians need to realize they aren't the entitled ruling class and rules don't get bent or broken just for them.
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Yes I am. They maybe reps for the school and it maybe a school sponsored event but if its not on school property it shouldnt matter. The school,students, the town itself didn't care one iota about these banners. But some anti religious group got all offended about banners that had. God/or bible veses on them. These girls were not trying to convert or shove religon down ppls throat. Its a simple statement hiw if they have god in their side then the other team can't beat them. Its no different then coaches leading a team prayer fimor a good game or whatever in the lockerroom. Or is that just iffensive?

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you serious? It's a school sponsored function and the players are representatives of their schools.

Quoting Jamie1972:

If the football feild is not on school grounds then i dont see why they cant have whatever they want on their banners. They are not promoting or trying to convert anyone. Its a statement about the other team, how they cant them  imo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeeDee205
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

LOVE THIS!!!!!!  You took the words right out of my mouth!

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the big deal? It's a freaking banner!!! These "freedom from religion" groups are seriously pissing me off, you don't want religion, fine,.dont, but don't tell me I cant have mine, I dont put stipulations on you NOT having religion so dont put a stipulation on where I get to have mine. You want your freedom FROM religion and I want my freedom TO it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN