Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cheerleaders take stand on religion

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Apparently they put things on their banners like if God is for us, who can break us..

The football team runs through it.

A orginzation called freedom from religion complained and the school superintendent made them stop.

The girls say its not school sponsored, cheerleaders create their own banners and they got the ideas from pinterest

Today it goes to the state supreme court.

The girls want to be able to continue to make whatever banner they want

Should they be able to? Or should the organization win and have the banners mentioning God continue to be banned?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (41-50):
Miranda1127
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Cheerleaders are school funded and school sponsored. And as such represent the school when in their uniforms. If this is a public school then no religion. their game banners need to follow school policy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM
If it's a temporary display, and not being erected on school grounds, and clearly the viewpoint of individuals then it's probably within reason. Then again, the team IS representing the school...
Either way I think it's cocky and bordering on blasphemous to claim God favors your football team.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nunyabusiness
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I aree with the words on the banner but there is a reason why church and state are separated and having that banner at a state funded program is not okay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Idk about everywhere but here parents pay for their kid to be in any extracurricular. Its not school funded anymore. The cheerleader coach is jjust a mom.

Quoting Miranda1127:

Cheerleaders are school funded and school sponsored. And as such represent the school when in their uniforms. If this is a public school then no religion. their game banners need to follow school policy.

safi
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM
ROFL

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmfao

Quoting Anonymous:

Preach the word of God then go suck off the football team.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dee1603
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I think it's fine. I think instead of trying to keep religion out of schools that we should be trying to teach our children about all religious beliefs. My theory has always been what if what i believe is wrong but what another religion believes is right? I would at least want to know what their beliefs are so I can act accordingly should some event occur.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM
3 moms liked this
I hope your daughters never become cheerleaders. Poor kids. Their moms will think they're sluts who suck off and fuck the guys.

Can't believe some of you "moms"

Quoting safi:

ROFL

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmfao

Quoting Anonymous:

Preach the word of God then go suck off the football team.

militarywife09
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM
No. They should be able to put whatever they want (obviously not cussing or stuff like that) on the banners. Don't like it? Don't look!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OttawaHoney
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Who is taking away a right? A public school does not have the right to practice or promote any particular religion. An individual in the stands has the right to hold something like that up but no group representing the school has the right to religiously represent the entity.

Quoting Anonymous:

EXACTLY! They are so incredibly hypocritical, every chance they get they are trying to take our rights away while there bitching about there own. A banner isn't forcing religion on anyone, they are being butt heads just because they can. They remind me of a child who got away with something a couple times and now think they rule the roost kwim?

Quoting crazymom21:

Totally agreed and I'm sick of so many Christians just rolling over and let them have their way. I think the seperation of church and state has been severely twisted. I'm brushing up on the constitution and bill of rights. It's been too long since I learned anything about them.

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the big deal? It's a freaking banner!!! These "freedom from religion" groups are seriously pissing me off, you don't want religion, fine,.dont, but don't tell me I cant have mine, I dont put stipulations on you NOT having religion so dont put a stipulation on where I get to have mine. You want your freedom FROM religion and I want my freedom TO it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Are they cheering for a public school? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk about everywhere but here parents pay for their kid to be in any extracurricular. Its not school funded anymore. The cheerleader coach is jjust a mom.

Quoting Miranda1127:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured