Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cheerleaders take stand on religion

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Apparently they put things on their banners like if God is for us, who can break us..

The football team runs through it.

A orginzation called freedom from religion complained and the school superintendent made them stop.

The girls say its not school sponsored, cheerleaders create their own banners and they got the ideas from pinterest

Today it goes to the state supreme court.

The girls want to be able to continue to make whatever banner they want

Should they be able to? Or should the organization win and have the banners mentioning God continue to be banned?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (451-460):
teeloffel
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Umm, I could say this even without the first amendment, but nice try.  May I suggest reading up on what the First Amendment actually protects... 

Quoting Jamie1972:

And because of the first amendment you can say this. So you can stuff it

Quoting teeloffel:

Gee, wanna know why the separation of church and state is more important?  Because it's part of the CONSTITUTION! You know, the document you xtian windbags love to cite to back your ridiculous complaints.  However, this incident is NOT a violation of ANY of your "constitutional rights (aka - the First Amendment)" ... so stuff it already.  Go find something else to feign persecution over.

Quoting Jamie1972:

Schools would be better if religion,all religion not just christianity, was brought back. But that's my opinion. But religion set aside these girls freedom of speech is being trampled on. But since they happened to use their freedom of speech with a religious overtone it doesn't matter. Because apparently separation of church and state is more important. And really what is the big deal. Its a banner that players run thru and pp in a stadium happen to see for 60 seconds before its destroyed by a bunch of boys.
DeeDee205
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I say "good for the cheerleaders" who were doing this.  But if the organization says they need to stop it, then they need to stop based on the rules of the organization.  

(No longer replying to my other posts on here because I don't need to get involved with name callers and haters.)

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM
It's hidden within the text :P

Quoting Lurion:

I haven't read them recently either...where would I go straight to the part about cheerleaders? lol

Quoting crazymom21:

Totally agreed and I'm sick of so many Christians just rolling over and let them have their way. I think the seperation of church and state has been severely twisted. I'm brushing up on the constitution and bill of rights. It's been too long since I learned anything about them.

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the big deal? It's a freaking banner!!! These "freedom from religion" groups are seriously pissing me off, you don't want religion, fine,.dont, but don't tell me I cant have mine, I dont put stipulations on you NOT having religion so dont put a stipulation on where I get to have mine. You want your freedom FROM religion and I want my freedom TO it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, doesn't the separation of church and state actually PROTECT the cheerleaders rights?  If the state outlaws them being able to use their banner because it mentions God, then that's not separating state from church.  The state should have NOTHING at all to do with it, for TRUE separation of church and state.  Which means, they should leave the cheerleaders alone.  If the cheerleaders are being forced to hide their religion in public places, then that is the government intruding on on their freedom.  That, to me, is violating separation of church and state.  Sorry, but your argument actually contradicts what you are trying to say!  And I'm not a Christian btw, just an agnostic with some common sense!

Quoting teeloffel:

Gee, wanna know why the separation of church and state is more important?  Because it's part of the CONSTITUTION! You know, the document you xtian windbags love to cite to back your ridiculous complaints.  However, this incident is NOT a violation of ANY of your "constitutional rights (aka - the First Amendment)" ... so stuff it already.  Go find something else to feign persecution over.

Quoting Jamie1972:

Schools would be better if religion,all religion not just christianity, was brought back. But that's my opinion. But religion set aside these girls freedom of speech is being trampled on. But since they happened to use their freedom of speech with a religious overtone it doesn't matter. Because apparently separation of church and state is more important. And really what is the big deal. Its a banner that players run thru and pp in a stadium happen to see for 60 seconds before its destroyed by a bunch of boys.

Quoting Anonymous:

School sponsored function is school property. And religion has no place in public school.

Quoting Jamie1972:

Yes I am. They maybe reps for the school and it maybe a school sponsored event but if its not on school property it shouldnt matter. The school,students, the town itself didn't care one iota about these banners. But some anti religious group got all offended about banners that had. God/or bible veses on them. These girls were not trying to convert or shove religon down ppls throat. Its a simple statement hiw if they have god in their side then the other team can't beat them. Its no different then coaches leading a team prayer fimor a good game or whatever in the lockerroom. Or is that just iffensive?

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you serious? It's a school sponsored function and the players are representatives of their schools.

Quoting Jamie1972:

If the football feild is not on school grounds then i dont see why they cant have whatever they want on their banners. They are not promoting or trying to convert anyone. Its a statement about the other team, how they cant them  imo

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Hahahaha! Maybe if you read the Constitution backwards... ? LOL

Quoting crazymom21:

It's hidden within the text :P

Quoting Lurion:

I haven't read them recently either...where would I go straight to the part about cheerleaders? lol

Quoting crazymom21:

Totally agreed and I'm sick of so many Christians just rolling over and let them have their way. I think the seperation of church and state has been severely twisted. I'm brushing up on the constitution and bill of rights. It's been too long since I learned anything about them.

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the big deal? It's a freaking banner!!! These "freedom from religion" groups are seriously pissing me off, you don't want religion, fine,.dont, but don't tell me I cant have mine, I dont put stipulations on you NOT having religion so dont put a stipulation on where I get to have mine. You want your freedom FROM religion and I want my freedom TO it.

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Umm, no. 

Let me clarify this for you since your self-proclaimed "common sense" seems to only go so far.

The only way what you're saying would work is if the cheerleaders were in a Private (religious) school. The reason Separation of Church and State applies in this case is because any public school is funded by the government (STATE), therefore it is unconstitutional for a member of a public school sports (or any other) team to include mentions of religion (GOD) during their game.   No one is forcing the cheerleaders to "hide" their religion.  People are simply trying to enforce a law that is already in effect, that was in fact, violated by the cheerleaders.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, doesn't the separation of church and state actually PROTECT the cheerleaders rights?  If the state outlaws them being able to use their banner because it mentions God, then that's not separating state from church.  The state should have NOTHING at all to do with it, for TRUE separation of church and state.  Which means, they should leave the cheerleaders alone.  If the cheerleaders are being forced to hide their religion in public places, then that is the government intruding on on their freedom.  That, to me, is violating separation of church and state.  Sorry, but your argument actually contradicts what you are trying to say!  And I'm not a Christian btw, just an agnostic with some common sense!

Quoting teeloffel:

Quoting Jamie1972:

Quoting Anonymous:

School sponsored function is school property. And religion has no place in public school.

Quoting Jamie1972:

Yes I am. They maybe reps for the school and it maybe a school sponsored event but if its not on school property it shouldnt matter. The school,students, the town itself didn't care one iota about these banners. But some anti religious group got all offended about banners that had. God/or bible veses on them. These girls were not trying to convert or shove religon down ppls throat. Its a simple statement hiw if they have god in their side then the other team can't beat them. Its no different then coaches leading a team prayer fimor a good game or whatever in the lockerroom. Or is that just iffensive?

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you serious? It's a school sponsored function and the players are representatives of their schools.

Quoting Jamie1972:

If the football feild is not on school grounds then i dont see why they cant have whatever they want on their banners. They are not promoting or trying to convert anyone. Its a statement about the other team, how they cant them  imo

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

The school is a public school. For the school/government to allow the religious banners, the school is promoting Christianity. Now what it really boils down to is yes it should be allowed if all other religions are given equal time. Do you really think that the school is going to allow a banner with a quote from the Quran or a pagan chant to the Goddess on it?  IE there was a case not too long ago when a school was giving out bibles. A pagan (Wiccan I believe) contacted the school and was told that it was their policy to allow any free religious material to be given away at the school. The woman showed up with info on paganism and suddenly the school/school systems policy changed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting teeloffel:

Quoting Jamie1972:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jamie1972:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jamie1972:

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Or educating yourself, apparently. 

Quoting DeeDee205:

I say "good for the cheerleaders" who were doing this.  But if the organization says they need to stop it, then they need to stop based on the rules of the organization.  

(No longer replying to my other posts on here because I don't need to get involved with name callers and haters.)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Well then maybe they need to give up cheer and spend some quality time raising their IQs instead of their skirts.

Quoting Jamie1972:

I didn't say it wasn't. But these girls happened not to think it was or is school sponsored.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because, as school cheerleaders, they are representatives of their school. How is school athletics NOT school sponsored?

Quoting Jamie1972:

In the op said the girls say its not school sponsored. So if the girls are right,not saying they are,why does it matter what they write on a stupid banner.

Quoting Anonymous:

blank stare

Quoting Jamie1972:

But if its like these girls say not school spnsored it shouldn't matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

Doesn't matter. It's a PUBLIC school. If they want to invoke religion they need to refuse federal and state funding and go private.

Quoting Jamie1972:

But what if this small town is all christian? Why would it matter to someone who doesn't live work or go to school there? In a town where many different religions are around then yes I can understand an outside group standing up for someone who is sfraid to speak up.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Maybe in an ideal world where everyone left each other the fuck alone about their beliefs...unfortunately they can't do that. 

And it is a big deal to the player or cheerleader who is NOT Christian who can't speak up for fear of being bullied and ostracized. It is a big deal to the parent that has to watch their child deal with that. 

Quoting Jamie1972:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
"State" = the government, including federal, state, county and municipal.

The public school system is is a government institution at multiple levels.

Separation of church and state prevents the inclusion of religious doctrine, behavior and dogma in the running of the government and the making of the laws.

Therefore, being a government entity, public schools cannot favor, invoke, indoctrinate, advertise or in any other way align themselves with any religious institution.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting teeloffel:

Quoting Jamie1972:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jamie1972:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jamie1972:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)