Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cheerleaders take stand on religion

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Apparently they put things on their banners like if God is for us, who can break us..

The football team runs through it.

A orginzation called freedom from religion complained and the school superintendent made them stop.

The girls say its not school sponsored, cheerleaders create their own banners and they got the ideas from pinterest

Today it goes to the state supreme court.

The girls want to be able to continue to make whatever banner they want

Should they be able to? Or should the organization win and have the banners mentioning God continue to be banned?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (481-490):
bozobean
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Ok, will do. :o)

Quoting safi:

Good stuff. I am on cm all the time, i just dont use MM anymore. If u ever want to message me, feel free

Quoting bozobean:

Pretty much the same. I'm taking an online course, so i'm learning more.

Quoting safi:

Yeah me either. Everything is good tho alhamdulillah, glad kids are back in school lol. Anything new with you guys or still kind of the same place?

Quoting bozobean:

I'm doing ok. I haven't been quite as active in the other groups lately. How are you?

Quoting safi:

Long time no see. How are u

Quoting bozobean:

Couldn't have said it better myself. :o)

Quoting safi:

Cuz dressing in mini skirts and jumping around Shaking their asses in front of a bunch of men and puberty crazed boys is totally Godly. Smdh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jaybo
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jaybo:

Well to be honest  people promote thing everyday that go against  my beliefs and I dont go whining about it. Like your trashy mouth If I got a law suit for everytime I heard that word LOL SEE my point Freeom of speech only works out for people like you NEGATIVE . I hope that MY God is glorified in this earth and if it takes some young girls with POSITIVITY then so be it. You wouldnt care if you heard a bunch of kids cussing and being fools so why do you care so much about something that you dont believe in?? Turn the other way like I do when I hear  ppl like you

Quoting Anonymous:

I am glad these girls are standing up for what they believe in. No one is making anyone read the signs and convert they are to encourage the football team. They are not signs that say "turn or burn'" They are meant to be good and I dont understand why its such a big deal.  Christians really need to start getting a back bone and stop letting the world control them.

Christians really need to learn to shut the fu** up with their constant blather about what they think they're entitled to. What if "those girls" were standing up for buddha, or allah, or satan, or any other non christian icon?  Would you be as quick to tell other christians they need to grow a backbone and support the girls in what they are doing? I highly doubt it.

When I go to a football game, I go to watch the game, I do not go to a football game to watch a bunch of cheerleaders promoting their god on a banner.  

Girl, "YOUR GOD" is a myth, a fantasy, a make believe character that supposedly lives in the sky (give me a break people actually believe that shit) looking down on his "flock",  as is every other mythical god people the world over worship. If your god or any other god actually existed, we wouldn't have wars, we wouldn't have babies, children, & adults living with excruciating pain, we wouldn't have babies, children & adults dying horrible painful deaths & we wouldn't have millions upon millions of babies, children, & adults the world over starving to death, abused, & murdered every single second of every day.  

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM
I think it's tacky but if people can make movies about religion starting worldwide outbursts let them do that. If your religious you know there's a judgement day in the end they'll answer for that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I dont know why people always get upset? Are you also upset when you have to

pay chash and it says "in God we trust" on the bills?

romalove
by SakePrincess on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

I think it's tacky but if people can make movies about religion starting worldwide outbursts let them do that. If your religious you know there's a judgement day in the end they'll answer for that.

Those two things are not remotely comparable.

We have free speech in the private sector, and complete freedom of religion.

We have separation of church and state, and public schools are extension of the state.

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Quoting romalove:

Yeah freedom of speech stands in both cases so therefore they're both relatable.
romalove
by SakePrincess on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Quoting romalove:

Yeah freedom of speech stands in both cases so therefore they're both relatable.

That depends on whether or not you think cheerleaders, in school uniform, at a school football game, are speaking only for themselves or as representatives of the school.

That's the crux of the issue.

So far, the judge is saying they are only speaking for themselves.

He may change his mind.

If he doesn't, someone may challenge his ruling and bring it higher.  This is a Constitutional issue, and it "could" go as high as Supreme Court for a ruling.

I personally believe that there is no place for Bible banners on a school football field held by the cheerleaders for the players to run through at a school sanctioned football game. 

But I am not the judge in this case.  :-)

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Quoting romalove:

Yeah well I don't see why they can't write or do what they want I don't agree with writing that but who are we to tell them no its freedom of speech no matter who or what or how it's said, in my opinion.
LovingSAHMommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Eh. I can see both sides, but I'm gonna go with they should be allowed.
romalove
by SakePrincess on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Quoting romalove:

Yeah well I don't see why they can't write or do what they want I don't agree with writing that but who are we to tell them no its freedom of speech no matter who or what or how it's said, in my opinion.

If it's personal expression, they can say whatever they like.

If I lived there (and since it's Texas I never would), I would be in the stands with signs that said "Keep Your Christ Out Of My School".

I would, of course, have armed guards standing by LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured