Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child custody issue, who is right?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have sole custody of our ds. Xdh has no court ordered visitation, but I allow him to see ds twice a month for three hours each time.
Here's our issue. Xdh owes about 10k in back support, he hasn't made a payment in over a year. Because of that I can barely afford ds preschool tuition. He will be starting kindergarten next year. Looking into the private schools, I can not afford it unless xdh pays his child support. Since obviously I can not depend on that, I am looking into moving to the suburbs where the schools are better. I can commute to work, and save money because I don't have to pay tuition. Xdh lives 2.5 hours away from us now, if we move he will live 3.5 hours away. He doesn't want me to move because we'll be too far away and it'll be harder to see ds. He's threatening to take me to court if we move.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Let him take you, and he will get nailed with support.  You have to do what you have to are your sons SOLE support.  No judge would stop you from leaving.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I agree. Court is the way to go.

by Emerald Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

You can move. You were nice enough to inform him of the move ahead of time. If he goes to court the court SHOULD look at the best interest of the child. The move is being made so that the child can attend a better school and I'm sure that a judge would approve of that.

by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM
He sees him every other Saturday for 3 hours because that's what is convenient for him. I'd prefer every weekend so I can have some "me" time lol.

Quoting SnapIt:

And whats the reason in why you are only letting him see his kid 2times a month for only 3 hrs each time?

Is he a danger to his kid?

by Cat on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Tell him if he doesn't want you to move, then he needs to pay HALF of the school tuition up front, to the school YEARLY! if he can't do that then move, and let him take you to court.

by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

 He cant prevent you from moving unless you are moving out of state but if he takes you to court he will probably just get screwed as far as how he has to pay his support (like as in he will have to have it pulled right out of his checks before he even sees it ) or they will take away his licence until hes current

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Let him take you to court, if has has money to do that he has money to pay cs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by imjenndoe on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Let him take you to court and let the chips fall where they may.  I don't forsee him winning anything aside from getting a formal CO put in place.  

If the child support is 10,000 dollars in arrears, he may get put in jail because it is now a felony because of the amount.

by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Well unless he wants to actually start paying, looks like he is SOL. You have to do what you have to within your means. And what's an extra hour when he's already 2.5 hours away?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by peachy on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Where's the ? I don't see one?

Obviously do what's best for you. If you have to move to support the kid move.

Is cs court ordered? If not he won't owe anything in arrears. If so yea he will be in trouble but why might I ask didn't you report him? Sort.of silly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN