Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Normal bedtime for children?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM
  • 25 Replies
The neighbor kid has been driving me nuts. She wants to play with my daughter but she comes over at the worst times. She asked me why my children go to bed so early and I asked her why she wasn't getting ready for bed. She looked at my like I was crazy and said she didn't have to go to bed until ten. She is ten years old and in school. My kids are homeschooled and my oldest is five. We get them ready for bed starting at seven and by seven thirty they have had their stories and are tucked in. The earliest any of them wake up is seven.

Don't ten year old still need a lot of sleep? The neighbor gets on the bus at seven thirty so shouldn't she be going to be at the same time my children are? Why is she knocking on my door at seven or eight o'clock at night?! Am I crazy, I would think that a ten year old should be allotted at least ten hours of sleep per night!
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tarakay0417
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM
My 9 yr old goes to bed at 8 during the school week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TarotMommy
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I guess some people don't think about how important sleep is to growing children. In my house bedtime is 8:30 for my LO. He's 8 yo., when he's a little older it will be 9:00 and that's the latest it will be until he graduates HS.  (Except on weekends and summer)

To see if Pagan Mothering is your cards,  just click my siggie...

nebraskamomto2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

My kids are 11 and 9, and go to bed at 8:30 to read and lights off at 9.  But my 9 year old has always been a night owl and no matter how hard I tried, I can never get her to sleep.  Even now, she lays there awake until 9:30ish usually and gets up at 6:45 in the morning.  My almost 12 yr old on the other hand probably could fall asleep at 7:30/8 and has always needed more sleep.  Just depends on the kids.  I'd just let her know what your rules are and eventually she'll get the hint to not come over so late.

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

children in general need a lot of sleep.  of course, as they get older the need for sleep lessens but a school-aged kid needs at least 10.5-12hrs of sleep per night (12hrs is for JK/SK kids). 

i protect my dd's sleep.  she goes to bed at 715/730pm.  we start night routine around 630/645pm.  only on special events she gets to stay up late but only if she naps during the day. 

lukesmommy1114
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM
I know with my brother his step mom and my dad have him in bed in between 8-9 on school night's and 10 on weekends and summer. I remember going to bed at like 830 when I was that age and on weekends it was 9
Mommy4two
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM

My oldest is 8 "he'll be 9 next month" and when he was little like in K, he was able to stay up til 9 but by 1st grade he started acting like he needed more sleep and I bumped it to 8:30 no joke, 2nd grade 8:00 and now in 3rd lol... he goes to bed between 7:30 and 8 o'clock... You'd think the older the less sleep but with him nope... my youngest will be 5 next month and same with her between 7 and 8 every now and then even 6:30...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
My almost 6 year old doesn't go to bed until 930-10. When I was 10 I was going to bed at 930. At 730-8 kids were still outside playing. It sucked going to bed at 730-8 and hearing all the kids still playing while I had to go to bed.
Mommy4two
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Just curious if you know she won't even fall asleep for another 30 mins. why don't you allow her to read or occupy herself vs. having the walls feel as though they're coming in?

Quoting nebraskamomto2:

My kids are 11 and 9, and go to bed at 8:30 to read and lights off at 9.  But my 9 year old has always been a night owl and no matter how hard I tried, I can never get her to sleep.  Even now, she lays there awake until 9:30ish usually and gets up at 6:45 in the morning.  My almost 12 yr old on the other hand probably could fall asleep at 7:30/8 and has always needed more sleep.  Just depends on the kids.  I'd just let her know what your rules are and eventually she'll get the hint to not come over so late.

jmommy
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM
My 9 year old goes to bed around 8:30. Yes they need their sleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM
My youngest(6mo and 3yr) go to bed by 730-8am) my oldest(8yr) has recently been allowed to stay up a little later(830-9pm on weekdays) he has to be in his room and quietly reading/drawing etc. No tv no video games. Its a reward for being responsible enough to know when he is tired. As long as he's asleep by 9pm I allow him to have control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured