Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's the rules about babies in apartments?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
We signed an 18 month lease and two months later we found out we are expecting our first.

How long can we stay here with the baby before we have to move to a Bigger apartment? I know at our last place when the baby turned 18 months you could no longer stay in a one bedroom so is that everywhere or is each complexes policy different?

I don't want to ask them in case it's something like 6 months, in hoping we can just keep it under the radar until the lease is up.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM
In one place we stayed it was 6months an the other had no limit!
merinasmommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Merina is almost 2 and we are still in a 1 bdroom.im going to a 2 dbr before ds is born in january but that is my choice they dont care
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm pretty sure the can't legally say who sleeps in what room
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:01 PM
There is a limit to people in an apartment. My husband and I are ok but I think adding a baby will put us over the 2 person limit for a 1 bedroom.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm pretty sure the can't legally say who sleeps in what room
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, in my opinion it is none of their business.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Honestly depends on the apartments, some have limits and they very, and some don't.

Could you consult with your lease to see if it's written in your lease?  Ask a neighbor?

You may not have to break your lease.. you could ask to move into a larger apartment in that complex... it's more money for the management, so a lot of times they'd rather work with you on this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM
I agree but that doesn't mean they won't make us move to a bigger apartment and charge is 1800 in transfer fees.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Personally, in my opinion it is none of their business.

Xat
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM

All of the apartments I have lived in said that there it was fine for a baby to share a room with the parents until they turned 2.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM
The rule is 2 people per bedroom. I'm sure you could attempt not mentioning it... But it could bite you in the ass later. Better to tell them now and move to a 2 bedroom (which they may make easy for you).
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Breaking the lease will be way too costly. Like 5000 bucks all together. Even to transfer to a bigger apartment is 1800 bucks.

When the lease is up we will be hopefully moving into a home.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Honestly depends on the apartments, some have limits and they very, and some don't.

Could you consult with your lease to see if it's written in your lease?  Ask a neighbor?

You may not have to break your lease.. you could ask to move into a larger apartment in that complex... it's more money for the management, so a lot of times they'd rather work with you on this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)