Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My miracle babies turn two:) pics and my story

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM
  • 100 Replies
7 moms liked this
Hey everyone.
Two years ago I had my miracle babies. They were victims of a fetal disease called TTTS or Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. TTTS is, in a nutshell, when twins have blood veins attached to each other through the placenta. This causes one baby to get too much blood causing heart, kidney and bladder problems. The other twin, doesn't get enough and doesn't produce enough amniotic fluid.
My twin boys were diagnosed with this killer disease at 14 weeks gestation. I went every week for an ultrasound, and ended up opting for the laser ablation surgery. I was living in Colorado at the time, and had be flown down to Houston, Texas to the Texas Fetal Center. I was at stage 1 TTTS at this point, and 36 hours later, I was at stage 3 almost stage 4. With 5 being death for the babies.
I immediately went for surgery, where the doctor accidentally sliced me placenta open causing me to bleed out. Being that I was only the 206th women in the WORLD to have this surgery, he has never cut anyone before. I bled out, and my babies almost had to have a forced abortion. luckily, he got the bleeding to stop by just holding the laser instrument onto the wound and it stopped bleeding.
I return home to Colorado two days later. I was 17 weeks at this point.
I started having contractions at 24 weeks. I went to the hospital where they didn't have the equipment to help 24 weekers.
I was ambanced to the University of Colorado hospital and admitted.
I stayed a little over three weeks on bed rest. My babies decided they wanted to come out at 27wks1d.
They were born at 10:50 and 10:52am via Csection.
After a few hours, I was told that my baby "B" (Avery) had less than 10% chance to live. They popped his lung when trying to get him to breath, and he had a severe brain bleed.
My baby "A" was seemingly perfect, minus him being only 2lbs5oz.
That night, the doctor told me that I should start making funeral arrangements for Avery, and that he probably wouldn't make it through the night. My husband and his family are very religious and wanted him baptized. So be it. I know this sounds crazy, but as soon as my pastor came, and baptized him, his stats dramatically improved. His brain bleed went away and his chest tube came out later that week.
Austin came home on December 23rd and Avery came home on Christmas.
That February, Avery went to go have his RSV shot. That night, he had a severe reaction. He stayed in the smaller hospital that night, and I got a call at 3am telling me that he was being life flighted to University because he had stopped breathing.
He came home about a week and a half after that ordeal.
Anyway, now it's two years later, and I'm writing this with tears in my eyes.
My baby boys are here, and healthy, and are turning two next weekend. :)

Two years ago I shared my story as it was happening in New Comers, and have had a lot of requests for updates.

In the replies, I will add then and now photos. (I'm on mobile, so I seriously apologize for any and all typos)

Thanks for reading:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.gumdrop.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Wow, amazing! Happy birthday to them

And congrats to you mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3lilmonsters88
by Carolina Sky on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:02 PM
I see Pics of the little dudes daily along with Ayla! I can't believe it's been almost 2yrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM
:'( Amazing story mama. Glad your babies are healthy now. Hugs & thank you for sharing
Shaken1976
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Happy bIrthday to your miracles. I truly believe God works miracles.
Robin_TripleA
by Triple Threat on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Avery
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robin_TripleA

Austin
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robin_TripleA

Austin
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soontobemommie3
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Wow! What amazing miracles you have! Congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
This is a beautiful miracle. I'm so happy for your family!
Robin_TripleA
by Triple Threat on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Avery
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured