Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom Confession: "It's better when my husband is gone!"

Posted by   + Show Post

When dad's away...life is easier for mom? Seems like without the help it would be harder, but that's not the case, says this mom.

She says that when her husband is away on business, she runs a tight ship, and the kids are well-behaved. But when hubby is home, all bets are off - late bedtimes, junk-food dinners and power struggles are the norm. Plus one of our panelists says she can really relate to this confession!

Moms, what do you think? Does having dad around all the time just make our job HARDER? And single moms - what's YOUR take on this one?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
DolphinFan85
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM

My mom used to say the same thing about my dad. He just passed away on 10/3 of a massive heart attack and she regreats ever saying things like that.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I hated when my husband had to go out of town and I didn't prefer it. The only difference is it's easier for just me to get the kids to bed.

So, no I can not relate to this one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM
2 moms liked this

this is sad to me. my husband travels for work 3 weeks out of the month (it's for a project not his regular job. We would not do this long term unless it meant our kids going without). The kids and I miss him every single minute he is gone. my morning routine is admitedly down to a science and sometimes allowing for the extra person throws us off a bit, but evenings and weekends life is definitely easier and better when he is home. When he is here, he is engaged and involved. He knows and adores his children. He takes the time when he's gone to stay up on everything going on with them. We video chat morning and evening.

It's sad to me that these dads have chosen to disengage from their children's lives while away from home. In this world of technology there is no reason not to be able todo that. We all do what we have to do when they are away. Yes, I can handle my 3 kids all by myself, but there will never, ever come a day when life is better for us without daddy.

she_walk_softly
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Yea my husband travels for work and when he is gone the kids go to bed earlier ,dinner is simpler an my little girl behaves better.Even with that I would still rather have him home.:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM

much easier when dh is gone

othermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM

It can be harder when my husband is home because he increases the mess, he riles up the kids, ect. But he does help out too and we basically stick to  the same schedual either way

Dextons_Mommy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Not true here. My husband is in the military and in Korea right now. He's been gone for 7 months, and will be gone for 5 more. I'm a SAHM, so I'm around my kids all the time. My two year old listens better to his dad, simply because he's not around him as much as he's around me. Plus my husband always helps with the kids while I'm making dinner, giving baths, putting them to bed, etc. It's way harder for me without him here than it is with him home. 

cherylw993
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Some things get easier and some things get harder. When my husband is away, we eat dinner a little earlier because we don't have to wait for him. Because of this my dd has her bath earlier and goes to bed earlier. But when my husband is here, he is the one that plays with her after dinner while I clean up. He also does her bath on most night.

Punkylu78
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Yep I can definitely agree with this!! And its pretty much the same thing...he lets them stay up late and eat way more candy & junk food then I would!

Quatrekins
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I can relate. Baby and I have a schedule through the day while DH is at work or school, and when he's home during the day, I have to adjust things and divide my time between the two of them.

Which isn't to say that I don't love having DH around; I do. I just like having the TV all to myself. :x

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)