Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Seriously what do parents teach their kids these days

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was in Walmart with ds earlier tonight to grab a few things. Ds was crying and just being... Not him self. I figured he'd had a long day at school and was tired. ( I have to wake him up at 6 to get the bus at 6:45 schools starts at 7:20 idk but the little ones start school over an hour earlier than the older kids who don't go to school like 8:40. Makes no sense. Lil ones need more sleep) anyway ds is crying I'm trying get him home as fast as possible. I see these two teenage boys. Probably around 15. I had seen them several times in the store and each time they would pass I'd hear them whispering to each other. Whatever I ignor and got to check out and here are these two boys again standing there behind a battery display pointing at ds who is 5 and very loudly making fun of him crying!! Saying things like ugh whaaaa look at the baby cry. I whip around cause this is bullshit ds is 5 years old these kids are like 15 maybe a little older They see me and shut up immediately . I ask them what the hell their problem is and if they think they cool for making fun of a 5 year old little boy. They take off running. The cashier said she would call a manager cause those boys are always in there and they do the same thing. They hide behind one of the displays and make fun of kids!! Wtf. Where are the parents and what have they taught them?? I'm sorry it's not normal to wander a store to look for small children to make fun of. I wanted to slap the hell out of them.

And no their parents may not know what their doing and they may not have raised this way but in today's world you never know.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
lalaboosh
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Well at least you and I are trying! LOL!

Quoting Anonymous:

The funny thing is I don't think I'm that strict. My son has rules that he must follow an he knows his boundries and sometimes he pushes them. Their kids that's what they do. But I refuse to let my child be disrespectful to others adults or children. And if my kid is throwing a fit I'm sure as hell not going buy him a toy or candy and for that I'm told I'm strict. I don't think it's that strict.

Quoting lalaboosh:

Yeah, I forgot about that parenting issue. I probably won't be a strict parent and may be one that is mistaken for the friend type, but I totally agree that children need to be taught boundaries and respect, how else do we expect them to function in the real world? It's full of boundaries that need to be observed and people that need to be respected.

Quoting Anonymous:

Parents these days( god I sound so old saying these days lol I'm only 25 lol) they are more worried about being their children's friend. Your a parent your not suppose to be their friend. My kid will never get away with this crap. I get told all the time I'm to strict. That may be but my child is not going end up like the rest of the kids. He will be a respectful kind person when he grows up.

Quoting lalaboosh:

Yeah, I was never an asshole either. I don't think it's universal, I just think it's an easy trap for many teens to fall into. I do think parenting has taken a real hit for a lot of reasons, TV and lack of personal freedom being one of them. Parents are either afraid to make the wrong choice and screw their kids up (or lose them to the state) or too busy with their lives and their wants and their issues to pay attention to when their kids need them. Or both, and I can't imagine how confusing that would be, to feel that as a parent and be so self absorbed.

Quoting Anonymous:

True teens are just assholes but I never did any of this crap and neither did my friends. Male or female. I thinks it's a combo of teen hormones and the fact that parents these days don't really punish their kids. They get away with murder. I've seen it all to often. I saw a teenager threaten his mother the other day because she refused to buy him chips!?? And she gave in. I would have been dropped on my ass real fast if I threatened my mother. Maybe it's just in my area idk but teens these days they run the house and tell the parents what their gonna do. And the parents just let them

Quoting lalaboosh:

I don't think it's that their parents don't teach them shit, I think it's that teenagers are assholes. I dunno. I was walking past a group of teen boys the other day and they started whistling and cat calling me and I ignored them. Then they started shouting insults and insisting that I wanted it and calling me baby. It's often a combination of male bravado and teen hormones that cause the problem, but girls get obnoxious too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I was a daycare teacher for years. I taught every age from birth to 12 years. I love the parents that think they kid does nothing wrong and tells us not to put them in timeout. It's those kids that are the worse. I worked in nj for years and didn't have a lot of problems with the children there. They were pretty good kids. I moved to another state and it was like walking into a war zone. I was bit, hit, punched in the face by a 9 year old. Broke the glasses right off my face. I was slapped and I was suppose to just take it. I was not to put these kids in time out and the parents would laugh when I would tell them these things. They thought it was funny. A 10 year old in my class td her dad she was punch him if he didn't stop talking. He shut right up and i stood there with my mouth open. I couldn't beleive the way the children act here. It's unreal. I quit after a year. That was more than I could handle.

Quoting acrogodess:

Nothing at all from what I've noticed the past year working with children and we aren't even allowed to put them in time out. We have to "re-direct" them to another activity so they can be disrespectful elsewhere... *sighs*

Most seem to expect school to teach them everything, from reading to writing, math and good behavior.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:42 AM
My husband would knock the sh** out of our son for something like that. But he's big on respect too. In fact if he witnessed that he would say something to those boys. I hope my son's half the man he is.

Quoting lalaboosh:

I don't think it's that their parents don't teach them shit, I think it's that teenagers are assholes. I dunno. I was walking past a group of teen boys the other day and they started whistling and cat calling me and I ignored them. Then they started shouting insults and insisting that I wanted it and calling me baby. It's often a combination of male bravado and teen hormones that cause the problem, but girls get obnoxious too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Amen to that.

Quoting lalaboosh:

Well at least you and I are trying! LOL!

Quoting Anonymous:

The funny thing is I don't think I'm that strict. My son has rules that he must follow an he knows his boundries and sometimes he pushes them. Their kids that's what they do. But I refuse to let my child be disrespectful to others adults or children. And if my kid is throwing a fit I'm sure as hell not going buy him a toy or candy and for that I'm told I'm strict. I don't think it's that strict.

Quoting lalaboosh:

Yeah, I forgot about that parenting issue. I probably won't be a strict parent and may be one that is mistaken for the friend type, but I totally agree that children need to be taught boundaries and respect, how else do we expect them to function in the real world? It's full of boundaries that need to be observed and people that need to be respected.

Quoting Anonymous:

Parents these days( god I sound so old saying these days lol I'm only 25 lol) they are more worried about being their children's friend. Your a parent your not suppose to be their friend. My kid will never get away with this crap. I get told all the time I'm to strict. That may be but my child is not going end up like the rest of the kids. He will be a respectful kind person when he grows up.

Quoting lalaboosh:

Yeah, I was never an asshole either. I don't think it's universal, I just think it's an easy trap for many teens to fall into. I do think parenting has taken a real hit for a lot of reasons, TV and lack of personal freedom being one of them. Parents are either afraid to make the wrong choice and screw their kids up (or lose them to the state) or too busy with their lives and their wants and their issues to pay attention to when their kids need them. Or both, and I can't imagine how confusing that would be, to feel that as a parent and be so self absorbed.

Quoting Anonymous:

True teens are just assholes but I never did any of this crap and neither did my friends. Male or female. I thinks it's a combo of teen hormones and the fact that parents these days don't really punish their kids. They get away with murder. I've seen it all to often. I saw a teenager threaten his mother the other day because she refused to buy him chips!?? And she gave in. I would have been dropped on my ass real fast if I threatened my mother. Maybe it's just in my area idk but teens these days they run the house and tell the parents what their gonna do. And the parents just let them

Quoting lalaboosh:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:46 AM
You dh is just like mine. He would have walked right up to those boys and made them apologize. And I pray my ds is half the man he is.

Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

My husband would knock the sh** out of our son for something like that. But he's big on respect too. In fact if he witnessed that he would say something to those boys. I hope my son's half the man he is.

Quoting lalaboosh:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:50 AM
I saw that on tv. It was over seas somewhere right. The mom was payin for something a store at the mall and the kids lured the boy away. The kids were like 9 and the little boy was 2 and they left him on the train tracks. That was the saddest thing ever.
I was taught the same thing and I should have said that to them. It's so true. Atleast my ds will know enough to not wander a store and pick on kids.

Quoting turtle68:

I'd be more worried about the fact that these kids are stalking little ones....brings me to that little kid that was kidnapped, tortured and murdered by two preteens.

I'd probably be a dick and look at them and go ...."at least my 5yo will grow up with manners...you cant change ugly" pull a face and continue on.

My parents taught me to respect until disrespected....and it has no age barrier (exception being little kids..they cant control themselves)

3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:51 AM
Ha! I say that and I'm 25. I feel bad for my 2yr old when he tells me no. Daddy comes flying by and corrects him right away. He's not ok with any kind of disrespect. I'm not either but DH is big on it.

On a side note I was teaching the kids at our bible study group. One little girl was talking to me and I saw her dad poke his head in the door. She didn't see him. So I told her to put her toy away am get ready to go. She said "no" not real hateful but defiant for sure. Then her dad "excuse me!" he corrected her quick. We still have a few parents around teaching respect.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lalaboosh:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lalaboosh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terabear42809
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:53 AM
All you had to say was Walmart haha. Jk what punks. I'm sorry for your little one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jshalas89
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:55 AM
I hate little fucking teenagers. I would've said the same thing. But that's all you CAN do. Walmart on the other hand could ban them from the store if their employees were smart enough to think of such a thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:57 AM
Good for him. You have to start at a young age. You can't just let them run free and that at 12 expect them to do all this stuff. To many parents think its funny and cute. It's not going to be funny and cute when they are 10. My ds had a problem with hitting when he was 2ish. I found out when he would go to his one grandmothers house she would laugh. I caught him one day and put him in timeout and explained that its not ok hit and its never ok to hit a women. She tried to tell me it was ok. I said its really not ok. When he's 10 and is still hitting its going to hurt a lot and its not going to be funny then.

Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

Ha! I say that and I'm 25. I feel bad for my 2yr old when he tells me no. Daddy comes flying by and corrects him right away. He's not ok with any kind of disrespect. I'm not either but DH is big on it.

On a side note I was teaching the kids at our bible study group. One little girl was talking to me and I saw her dad poke his head in the door. She didn't see him. So I told her to put her toy away am get ready to go. She said "no" not real hateful but defiant for sure. Then her dad "excuse me!" he corrected her quick. We still have a few parents around teaching respect.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lalaboosh:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lalaboosh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)