Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WWYD-Gay DD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My teenage daughter has been in a relationship with another female for 4-5 months now. While I believe it may be a phase (she's had boyfriends in the past), I really have no issues if she is gay. However, her gf's mother is absolutely against it, and has made it known with very disparaging remarks. I love my dd unconditionally and will stand behind her no matter what. My dd's feelings are very hurt by the other mothers comments, and I've explained not all people will agree with her choice.

My question is...How would you react if your child told you they were gay?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Replies (311-320):
MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

She told me when she was 6 & just knew the basics of sex. I wasn't shocked. She told me again when she was 11, and I didn't make a big deal about it and she was shocked! I had to remind her she told me 5 years prior!
Tnkmommy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM
I would love my kids regardless.
Firenygirl180
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I'd love my kids anyway.  Some of my best friends growing up were gay or bi.

lovefromwithin
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM

'Is that all?' lol. I wouldn't mind really. I'd rather see my daughter truly happy than to be miserable doing what she thinks I want her to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:06 AM
I'm so very happy to see the vast majority of you mom's would be there unconditionally for your precious children. My dd's girlfriend knows I am here for her as well, and will continue to be. Thank you for all the support ladies, it's appreciated! :-)
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Quoting Kaya529:

There was a study done. A small one but they studies the hypothalamus gland of some gay men during autopsies. They found that it was shaped more like a women's then a mans.

I wonder of they ever followed up on it. I think I might do some research tonight.

I remember that study, but what you cannot determine is causation.  Were they born with misshapen glands or did the glands grow over time into a certain shape because of behavioral and/or hormonal changes.  We just don't know. 

This is the same issue that arises with brains.  Did Mr Super- athlete or Super-Scientist have the brain pattern he did because he was born with it?  Or because of how he spent his life and time, which created changes over the years? 

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM
I would still have to say it us biological.

I have met several children over the years that people knew were gay. They wouldn't have had time to change the shape of their glands by that point.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting Kaya529:

There was a study done. A small one but they studies the hypothalamus gland of some gay men during autopsies. They found that it was shaped more like a women's then a mans.

I wonder of they ever followed up on it. I think I might do some research tonight.

I remember that study, but what you cannot determine is causation.  Were they born with misshapen glands or did the glands grow over time into a certain shape because of behavioral and/or hormonal changes.  We just don't know. 

This is the same issue that arises with brains.  Did Mr Super- athlete or Super-Scientist have the brain pattern he did because he was born with it?  Or because of how he spent his life and time, which created changes over the years? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimmie678
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:00 AM
I will always love my kids no matter what ..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Quoting Kaya529:

I would still have to say it us biological.

I have met several children over the years that people knew were gay. They wouldn't have had time to change the shape of their glands by that point.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting Kaya529:

CHILDREN are not gay...or straight.  They are just children. 

Now some could have masculine or feminine mannerisms, but this isn't a sexual thing.

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

i would be sad for the hatred that they will face because of it, but my kid is my kid. as long as they person they are with loves and respects them then what does it matter what gender or race they are? did the other mother make comments about her, her dd, or the relationship? i could understand her being mad, but only really hurt if they were solely about her. im glad that they both have you to turn to tho.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)