Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WWYD-Gay DD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My teenage daughter has been in a relationship with another female for 4-5 months now. While I believe it may be a phase (she's had boyfriends in the past), I really have no issues if she is gay. However, her gf's mother is absolutely against it, and has made it known with very disparaging remarks. I love my dd unconditionally and will stand behind her no matter what. My dd's feelings are very hurt by the other mothers comments, and I've explained not all people will agree with her choice.

My question is...How would you react if your child told you they were gay?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Replies (331-340):
Geminikiss
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:48 AM
I would support them. My great aunt was gay. (she died in June from cancer) my cousin and my great great aunt is gay too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilmom73
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM

I wouldn't care one way or the other. Sheis my child. My love for her is unconditional.

malibucj
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I don't judge others if they are bi or gay. So why should I judge my son? Id be okay with it.

kngarber
by Katie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I wouldn't react any differently than if they told me they had a boyfriend.  Of all the horrible things in this world finding out your child is gay is a non issue - to me.

kngarber
by Katie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Unnatural to whom?  The gay person or just uncomfortable for someone like you?  It is unnatural for them to be wit the opposite sex.  I am sure you do many things that are considered unnatural to others.  How would you feel if somone judged you ever step of the way?  FFS.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't have anything against gays but I think it's unnatural. I want my boys to have a wife and kids. Just like if they didn't go to college I would be disappointed. I think gays have a harder life. I want the best for my kids. Yes of course I would still love them buy would be disappointed. I would be just as disappointed if they get a girl knock up at a early age.

1RedHottMama
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:18 AM
It wouldn't be an issue with me at all. I only want my children to be happy no matter the sex,color or religion. My 19 year old daughters best friend is gay and lived with us after she came out to her parents and they threw her out,her girlfriend of four years and her are welcome in my home anytime. DD also has a gay male friend that says DH and I are the only adults that accept him. Who you love is your personal business and DH and I believe that it's the way you were born and no different than being able to dictate your childs eye or hair color or physical or mental health. Just my opinion I don't force my views on anyone else.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:25 AM
I dont care what ppl think about me. I think it's gross but to each there own they can do whatever they want with who ever they want. I don't want that lifestyle for my kids. You can't say anything that will change my feeling about that.

Quoting kngarber:

Unnatural to whom?  The gay person or just uncomfortable for someone like you?  It is unnatural for them to be wit the opposite sex.  I am sure you do many things that are considered unnatural to others.  How would you feel if somone judged you ever step of the way?  FFS.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't have anything against gays but I think it's unnatural. I want my boys to have a wife and kids. Just like if they didn't go to college I would be disappointed. I think gays have a harder life. I want the best for my kids. Yes of course I would still love them buy would be disappointed. I would be just as disappointed if they get a girl knock up at a early age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muzzyh
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM
I'd give her a hug. It wouldn't bother me at all.
MomGoneGreen470
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM
It is against God and nature BUT as a Christian it is our duty to hate the sin and love the sinner (which I am a sinner) ........ So support but do not encourage, love but do not approve, have their back from a distance so they can learn. Whoa it sounds like hey be a loving parent and all will come to pass. FYI .... I have plenty of friends who thought they were gay but came to realize it is just society pushing a pagan non natural way of life.
"they will hate you because they first hated me". Mmmmm who said that?
Des10ed2b
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

i would just say, "okay, awesome. thanks for letting me know. are you just wanting to tell me or is there a girl friend i get to meet!?" i would be just as excited to meet a new girl friend as i would a new boy friend. i would also make sure that there was no bullying going on in school or anything. i have been a big gay rights supporter since high school, so it really wouldnt phase me too much. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)