Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My BFF is huge. Update2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

She has always been big. She was about 350lbs a couple years ago. Now, she's visiting home where I am and she said she's almost 450lbs. She wants a ride in my car 2.5 hours south to get home. I'd have no problem with that, but my ball joints went bad and I just got them fixed. 

My ball joints went bad because I drive a little economy-sized vehicle, and she used to ride in the car, and I feel like that's what did it. She's too big to fit the seatbelt. IDK what to do, or how to tell her that I'm afraid she'll break my car that I need again.

Help?

JUST AN FYI- The ball joints were new when I purchased the car. I had paperwork from the seller to prove it.

***Thanks to the few people who gave me advice instead of bashing on me for asking an honest question, I'm going to be on my way to pick her up in a little bit.***

SECOND UPDATE*****I PICKED MY FRIEND UP YESTERDAY TO TAKE HER HOME. AFTER ABOUT 45 MINUTES IN THE CAR TRAVELING AT A SPEED OF APPROX 65MPH, MY BRAND NEW TIRE (THAT I PUT ON WITH THE BALL JOINTS) BLEW. MY "FRIEND" GOT TO GO HOME, HER HUSAND PICKED HER UP, WHILE MY KIDS AND I SAT STRANDED ON THE SIDE OF THE FREEWAY TRYING TO GET HOME.*******

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (81-90):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM
I'd be soooooo pissed!!! Well at least you know you tried to do a good deed and now NEVER again. No matter what the reason- you don't need to put your kids and your wallet through that. Especially when she doesn't even stay and help or wait with you! I'm overweight by about 40lbs. Nowhere does it say a best friend has to love me to death until I weigh 600lbs. NO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

That was very "classy" of your friend and her husband to leave you AND YOUR CHILDREN stranded on the side of the road.  A real friend would not have done that... time to cut ties, jmo.

connietrrll
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I drove my Chevy Cavalier for 4 years! I never had to replace the ball joints. I personally (although I have recently started losing it) weighed over 350lbs. My husband went up and down in his weight over those 4 years but at the most he weighed almost 480, and at the least he weighed a little more then 300lbs.

Your new tire probably was not seeded properly! If it was brand new then it still has a warranty on it, and even some of the re-used tires have a 30 day guarantee on them!

I am so glad you are not my best friend, because after you posted something so judgemental, we would not be friends again!

GremlinMom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM
But that's also distributed weight, not concentrated in one um... 5x5? area. This is a very good point though,

Quoting Anonymous:

What kind of car is this exactly? If you think about it, a car with four seats in it, is rated to haul four grown adults. There is you, your two kids and your friend. So, with the weight saved from your kids your friend made up for and maybe a little extra. So think about it. The car most likely was not over loaded, unless you had the trunk loaded down and a carrier on top of the car that was loaded down I am sure the car was not overloaded. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM

But the friend is not sitting directly over the tire or ball joints. While it maybe can put a strain on it, I truly doubt the friend is at fault for the ball joints and tire. 

Most likely the tire is covered under warrant if she has had it for all of a whole day. 

Quoting GremlinMom:

But that's also distributed weight, not concentrated in one um... 5x5? area. This is a very good point though,

Quoting Anonymous:

What kind of car is this exactly? If you think about it, a car with four seats in it, is rated to haul four grown adults. There is you, your two kids and your friend. So, with the weight saved from your kids your friend made up for and maybe a little extra. So think about it. The car most likely was not over loaded, unless you had the trunk loaded down and a carrier on top of the car that was loaded down I am sure the car was not overloaded. 

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Yeah your car is crap. I am sure it has nothing to with her weight and all to do with your older car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM

should have told her to find another way  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

This is ridiculous. A 1995 and the ball joints went out? Your car was old! That would happen if you were 75 lbs. and the only person to ever ride in the car. And then your tire went out? Well, I doubt that is her fault. You probably ran over something. I do think it was crappy that her dh picked her up and left you and your kids stranded.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM
That was my thought my friends would come get me and help not leave me there wth

Quoting Anonymous:

That was very "classy" of your friend and her husband to leave you AND YOUR CHILDREN stranded on the side of the road.  A real friend would not have done that... time to cut ties, jmo.

GremlinMom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM
I'm thinking whoever did your tires might have put the exact air pressure in them. The extra concentrated weight in that corner caused extra friction which causes heat. Heat expands, so boom went the tire... We are supposed to go a little under the pressure listed, for long trips, especially in the summer. That way the heat caused by friction doesn't cause a tire to expand too much and blow. Make sense? Semi trucks have this problem a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)