Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you send a 6 week old to head start while you stayed at home and didn't work?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

More of a confession of what I saw.............

Before I had kids I worked as a head start teacher for migrant children.  I worked with infants and also toddlelrs some.

I cared for babies as young as six weeks of age while their moms (and dads too sometimes) stayed at home. Lots of them had moms who did not work.   They would send their kids on the bus at about 6:45 ish in the morning and then  pick them up off the bus at 4:00 to 5:00ish. 

No idea what they did during the day.  

100% of the care was free. THey also free diapers, formula and even free clothes sometimes.   ANd of course free food as well.  And the mom would just stay at home!

Even though it was free, they would still lyell and complain over things like if their kid had a few mosquito bites from the playground.

Would you send your baby to head start?

And for the record ------------------------------------ I felt they would definitely get better care at home.  Sometimes we had to let them cry and scream - had no choice really because I only had 2 arms.

The thing htat bothered me the most is that they caseworkers for head start woullld go out and try to recruit them and tell the parents it was better for the babies to be there!!!! I remember one who had a 4 year old in the program, had a newborn, and the caseworkers kept asking and asking to enroll the baby too. She didn't want to. And, yes, we got more funding with more kids.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Replies (51-60):
carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I'd never send my kid to Head Start, ever. Not the ones here anyways.

Mel0dy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I would NEVER

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM

head start is only for 3-5 years. they have a early start- which is where they come to your house if needed.

ElitestJen
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I wouldn't send any kid of mine to head start....for any reason.

karla85
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM
It's not only sad but it's also true

Quoting jshalas89:

I call bs. My cousin worked for HS. I'm going to ask her. 6 wks? no way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

migrant head start is a whole different program. they deal with the migrant and seasonal workers. there are some things that are the same thought. regular head start is 3-5 years. early steps is birth til 3.

Quoting Anonymous:

The town i live in has Migrant Head Start and then reg. Head Start, MHS is usually where the kids go that have parents working in the fields around here, they take kids 6wks and up.  From what i've heard they teach the kids English and other stuff to help them be ready for school.  They supply everything for the kids during the day while they are there and help out the families that need it.  From what i've seen and heard they are a great help for those that need it. 

And in answer to your question-No, I would not send a 6wk old to HS/DC if I was not working.

paknari
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM
My daughter went to daycare at 6 weeks but I didn't know you could send a child to head start or on a bus at 6 weeks. This post doesn't really make sense. Why would you take a baby on a playground? Regulations for children are based on age so how is it legal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Nope I was a SAHM to raise my kid myself. 

lovableme
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM
i work for Headstart where I livr they just started taking babies last year. It was just for ages 3 to 5 not anymore tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Yep...that's our country now:(

Kudos to you for your work!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN