Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am just so thrilled

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have gone 3 years without child support for my 3 kids during which time, we only heard from my ex a couple of times and I didn't even have a phone number on him. My ex has since gotten married and had children with his wife AND bought a house. We have a court order from when we divorced 3 years ago for $1776 a  month (if you are doing that math, that means that he owes over $60,000). Our kids are ages 6, 8 and 11.

We finally went back to court today, I filed a year and a half ago but most of the time, I didn't even know where he was. He tried to get the child support lowered (yes the child support that he wasn't even paying) based on the fact that he now has a wife and 2 other kids, saying that he couldn't afford that much. The judge told him that he should have thought about that before getting married and having more kids without supporting his own. The judge kept the child support as is and ordered that he pay off what he owes me monthly. He calculated the back payments so that the back child support would be paid off before the oldest graduates from high school (when  child support stops for her).

So now, in addition to him having to pay $1778 a month, he will also have to make the back child support payments of $852 for a total of $2684!!! This is just about 1/3 of his income. And the judge told him that if we have to come back ever again for him not paying, he has no problem sending him to jail. Since he moved out of state and we didn't hear from him for most of that 3 years (6 year old doesn't even, the judge is ordering daytime visitation only in the kid's home town (so he will have to come to our town, stay in a hotel and take them out for the day).

His wife called me pissing and moaning saying they will have to change their whole lives to pay this child support and she thought we had an agreement that he would leave me and the kids alone and he didn't have to pay (this is what he told her, we made no such agreement). I would feel a bit bad for her except, when marrying a man with kids and an ex, who doesn't do their research?  And what kind of woman marries and has kids with a man who doesn't see or take care of his kids? Anyway, I am just so excited, I work but without child support, money has been very tight, I am so glad that now I will have the extra money for my kids, I can even start college funds!!!.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
Angela6296
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Seriously.  I hope he sticks to the agreement, but if he could be a deadbeat this long, I'm sure he'll keep doing it as long as possible.

Good luck!!!

Quoting Momof5kids84:

Don't tell them that until you get a check.

Quoting Anonymous:

OH and I forgot to add that I will be telling my kids tonight that they each get to pick one activity to be in (they each wanted to but I didn't have the money).

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting opal10161973:

I agree with PP, don't tell them anything until you start getting payments.  He may still be a douche and not pay, even with the threat of jail hanging over his head. 

You know what? That is a smart idea, I don't want to get their hopes up. Now I doubt that it will  be a problem because if he goes to jail, he won't be able to work and can't any money and his wife is, for now anyway, a SAHM.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Well I don't think it will be a problem, with his wife being a SAHM, he is the only one making money. If he goes to jail, they won't have any income and if he pisses even one more payment, the judge will send him to jail

Quoting Angela6296:

Seriously.  I hope he sticks to the agreement, but if he could be a deadbeat this long, I'm sure he'll keep doing it as long as possible.

Good luck!!!

Quoting Momof5kids84:

Don't tell them that until you get a check.

Quoting Anonymous:

OH and I forgot to add that I will be telling my kids tonight that they each get to pick one activity to be in (they each wanted to but I didn't have the money).

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this

good for you. He never should have allowed himself to get behind. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

His wife sounds like she deserves him. What woman would be okay with a man walking away from thier children. SMH.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

His wife sounds like she deserves him. What woman would be okay with a man walking away from thier children. SMH.

I can't believe her nerve calling me about it. Oh, they will have to change their lives, boo hoo, I had to support the kids by myself for 3 years

kewimom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask the judge to Garnish his wages vs him writing a check.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Quoting kewimom:

I should have but I am hoping that the threat of jail when he is the sole breadwinner in his family will be enough to make sure he pays

kewimom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Good Luck,  I really hope he pulls through for the kids sake.  From what I understand garnished wages are now mandatory in California, but I am not positive.

Quoting kewimom:

I should have but I am hoping that the threat of jail when he is the sole breadwinner in his family will be enough to make sure he pays

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I hope he pays. He can't help anyone in jail.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

If he never paid before, why do you think he will pay now?

Because the judge told him that if there is one more problem with him not paying, he will put him in jail

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)