Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am just so thrilled

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have gone 3 years without child support for my 3 kids during which time, we only heard from my ex a couple of times and I didn't even have a phone number on him. My ex has since gotten married and had children with his wife AND bought a house. We have a court order from when we divorced 3 years ago for $1776 a  month (if you are doing that math, that means that he owes over $60,000). Our kids are ages 6, 8 and 11.

We finally went back to court today, I filed a year and a half ago but most of the time, I didn't even know where he was. He tried to get the child support lowered (yes the child support that he wasn't even paying) based on the fact that he now has a wife and 2 other kids, saying that he couldn't afford that much. The judge told him that he should have thought about that before getting married and having more kids without supporting his own. The judge kept the child support as is and ordered that he pay off what he owes me monthly. He calculated the back payments so that the back child support would be paid off before the oldest graduates from high school (when  child support stops for her).

So now, in addition to him having to pay $1778 a month, he will also have to make the back child support payments of $852 for a total of $2684!!! This is just about 1/3 of his income. And the judge told him that if we have to come back ever again for him not paying, he has no problem sending him to jail. Since he moved out of state and we didn't hear from him for most of that 3 years (6 year old doesn't even, the judge is ordering daytime visitation only in the kid's home town (so he will have to come to our town, stay in a hotel and take them out for the day).

His wife called me pissing and moaning saying they will have to change their whole lives to pay this child support and she thought we had an agreement that he would leave me and the kids alone and he didn't have to pay (this is what he told her, we made no such agreement). I would feel a bit bad for her except, when marrying a man with kids and an ex, who doesn't do their research?  And what kind of woman marries and has kids with a man who doesn't see or take care of his kids? Anyway, I am just so excited, I work but without child support, money has been very tight, I am so glad that now I will have the extra money for my kids, I can even start college funds!!!.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Replies (31-40):
JBiiirdD
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:23 AM
He's out of state? I'm almost positive non-payment of child support is a non-extraditable offense. Meaning even if the judge issues a warrant for his arrest, if he resides in another state they can't arrest or send him back to the state of origin, just inform him he has a warrant for non-payment. Also, why would you want him in jail? It's one thing to be pissed at the new wife, but in the end if he's in jail ALL the kids lose out because he won't be working to even pay something & his "new" kids won't be provided for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Why can't they take it out of his checks

I didn't think to ask but since the alternative to paying is going to jail, leaving his wife and their kids with no income, I really don't think there will be a problem

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:25 AM
Sorry but karma is gunna bite u in the ass for this one, his new wife may be a piece of work but that doesnt mean their kids deserve it, how would u feel if their kids ended up homeless i bet you would feel l like shit then, yeah i understand why u want the money but remember there are innocent vicitims in this called children and its your fault now if they dont get birthdays, christmas, or even food just remember thst u ruined their childhood hope your real happy for that extra income, and for people to say its the womans fault well guess what love is blind obviously since op got with him lol let your concious be your guide
mommy_2_be_2010
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:26 AM
Call the court house monday and tell cs enforcement you want his wages garnished

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

I didn't think to ask but since the alternative to paying is going to jail, leaving his wife and their kids with no income, I really don't think there will be a problem

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Quoting JBiiirdD:

He's out of state? I'm almost positive non-payment of child support is a non-extraditable offense. Meaning even if the judge issues a warrant for his arrest, if he resides in another state they can't arrest or send him back to the state of origin, just inform him he has a warrant for non-payment. Also, why would you want him in jail? It's one thing to be pissed at the new wife, but in the end if he's in jail ALL the kids lose out because he won't be working to even pay something & his "new" kids won't be provided for.

No, this was actually a long time ago that it was set up that states would corporate with each other on the non payment of child support cases. I don't WANT him in jail, I want him to pay his child support, if he chooses not to, that will be up to the judge to decide what happens and the judge already said he would put him in jail. My kids haven't gotten anything from him in 3 years anyway so if he does go to jail it won't effect them as for the new wife, I guess she will have to get a job and support her kids on her own (like I have had too, so no sympathy there).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry but karma is gunna bite u in the ass for this one, his new wife may be a piece of work but that doesnt mean their kids deserve it, how would u feel if their kids ended up homeless i bet you would feel l like shit then, yeah i understand why u want the money but remember there are innocent vicitims in this called children and its your fault now if they dont get birthdays, christmas, or even food just remember thst u ruined their childhood hope your real happy for that extra income, and for people to say its the womans fault well guess what love is blind obviously since op got with him lol let your concious be your guide

I wouldn't feel like shit at all, I would look at her and ask why she didn't get a job to support her children as I had to. I didn't bring their children into this world, what happens to them is NOT my issue. My kids have gone without support from their father for years, I am getting the money that is owed to them so that THEY can have better lives, the lives they should have had all along. If my ex goes to jail for not paying child support, it wouldn't be me that ruined their childhood, it would be him for not paying and his wife for staying with him while he didn't pay.

JBiiirdD
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Can you request to have his wages garnished or his fax refund given to you? A girl friend of mine filed to have her child's father's tax refund taken until he was caught up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JBiiirdD:

No, this was actually a long time ago that it was set up that states would corporate with each other on the non payment of child support cases. I don't WANT him in jail, I want him to pay his child support, if he chooses not to, that will be up to the judge to decide what happens and the judge already said he would put him in jail. My kids haven't gotten anything from him in 3 years anyway so if he does go to jail it won't effect them as for the new wife, I guess she will have to get a job and support her kids on her own (like I have had too, so no sympathy there).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:34 AM

I think I will do that. This way I won't have to worry every month if he is going to pay. LIke I said, it doesn't help me from him to go to jail, I mean it hurts him way more but still, it doesn't help me or my kids.

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Call the court house monday and tell cs enforcement you want his wages garnished

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

epoh
by The Enzyme Helicase on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. I wouldn't tell them anything of the sort until you have a check in your hand.

Quoting Anonymous:

OH and I forgot to add that I will be telling my kids tonight that they each get to pick one activity to be in (they each wanted to but I didn't have the money).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Someone just suggested having the child support garnished, I think I will call on Monday. As for the taxes, the judge would have had to order it. This way is actually easier though because this way it is the same amount every time, there is no worrying about keeping up with what the balance is, he pays the back amount until my oldest graduates high school, at that point, the child support would be recalculated anyway to show that he is paying for 2 kids, not 3

Quoting JBiiirdD:

Can you request to have his wages garnished or his fax refund given to you? A girl friend of mine filed to have her child's father's tax refund taken until he was caught up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JBiiirdD:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN