Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I know it's very petty to fight over money, but oh well....

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM
  • 211 Replies

Poll

Question: Who do you agree with

Options:

SIL

Me!!!!!!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 199

View Results

My in laws are re-writing their wills to include the their grand children. As it stands now their 3 children (BIL, DH,SIL) will be splitting 90% of the assets and companies and 10% will go to CLIN (charity to help immigrants, both of them are immigrants). However they told us today at the family meeting they plan on dividing all their liquid assets from 2016 on, between all the grand children. They aren't sure how they want to split it up and that started an argument. I said they should split it up by family, each family set would get 33% to divide amongst the GC. However my SIL(BIL' wife) said that they should divide it all evenly amongst all the kids to make it "fair". My problem with that is they have 7 fucking children and don't seem to be planning on stopping. My youngest SIL is infertile and I don't think she wan'ts more than two. That's a lot of people to split money with, especially if the majority is going to be given to one family unit. They will get 70% to just their children whille my child get's 10% and my SILs' future children get 20%. How the hell is that fair?

Just doesn't seem fair but who do you agree with.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arielsmomma1020
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:51 PM
3 moms liked this
Its their choice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Erna2
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Ultimately it's up to your FIL and MIL... I technically don't think either one of you are "right"

Quoting arielsmomma1020:

Its their choice

Ashes0813
by Candice on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly

Quoting arielsmomma1020:

Its their choice

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I'm aware of that lol

This is just to settle my own issues with her. I feel I'm right and until someone can even remotely explain how that's "fare" I will have an even stronger grudge against her 

Quoting arielsmomma1020:

Its their choice

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Aichia
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM
3 moms liked this
While it is their money to do as they see fit I vote a trust fund be set up with non-family members in control & each kid gets x amount of money at a set age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM
26 moms liked this

IMO they should divide the assets among the granchildren equally but give none of them access to it until they are 18 and in college or 25 if they choose not to attend college. That way the grandchildren get the benefit, not the parents and the same amount goes to each grandchild.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM
7 moms liked this

Your SIL.  It's not for the "family units."  It's for the grandkids.  Each grandkid should get an equal portion.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Is it fare or fair? 

I can never decide...

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Assists should be divided equally per child. If they decided to give them pieces of the businesses, then that should be done by family unit so no one part of the family get's control of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM
7 moms liked this

I've never gotten a penny of an inheritance from anyone, nor has my husband, and we never will. We both grew up in poor families, with no wealthy parents or grandparents to help us out financially with college, etc, or leave us any inheritance money. I think you ought to be grateful that you are in a position to get anything.

And yes, I think your grandparents are right - each grandkid should get an equal share of the inheritance. Why should your sister in law's kids get less just because she had more kids? That's not fair to the kids. I think I'd keep my mouth shut, and stop complaining if I were you, before your in-laws get fed up and cut you, your husband, and your kids out of their will altogether.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)