Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a small business owner, & I need to vent about a customer.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm a small business owner. I just needed to vent, and this is the best place to do that...

The economy isn't that great, and I understand that. My prices are low, so it's affordable for the people who want to come to my business.

I own a small tanning salon. I have a wide range of tanning packages, something to fit any tanners needs.

I have this one customer, who came in today, wanting me to issue a refund, and or change her expire date.

Back in feb of this year, she purchased a limited tan package. It's 15 tans, that expire 1 year from the date of purchase, or if you use them all before that year is up.

The hours of my salon have been the same for 10 years. And I'm open longer hours, and 7 days a week. All the other salons in my town, have shorter hours, and they are only open 5 days a week.

Anyways, the issue is this. This lady purchased this tanning package back in feb. Knowing that they expire 1 year from the date of purchase, she has used 5 of them which were all used with in the first 2 months after she purchased them.

And I haven't seen her since. Today, she comes in to tan. And I kindly let her know that she has 10 left, and they expire feb 2013. I let her know that, so that she could try and use them before then so that she doesn't loose tans. I'm not trying to screw her out of anything.

She then say's "what time do you close", I told her 7pm, and we are open 7 days a week. She then goes on to tell me, that the reason she hasn't used any more for this long period of time, is because I close early.... She wanted me to refund her money or extend the expire date on her package.

Now, I'm all for helping my customers, becaue afterall, they are what pays my bills and puts food on my table. So yes, I appreciate each customer that I have and want to make them happy. But my issue here is, she was fully aware of the hours for my salon when she purchased the tans. My salon is open longer hours, and 7 days a week, while the other ones in this town are only open 5 days a week, and close alot earlier.

I don't feel that I should extend her expire date, nor give her a refund. I don't believe that my hours are the reason she hasn't used them. I think she's just one of those people, who are trying to get something out of someone.

Please. im open to suggestions, and ideas. If you think I'm wrong, tell me, and explain why. Like I said, I don't want to screw anyone, but I can't afford to get screwed either.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
illinoismommy83
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I'd let her know you will be open till 7 pm every day and offer to make her an appt so she can be in and out quicker. 

Just because a customer pushes you doesn't mean you have to give in. If she fights you, let her know that "The owner says we don't do extensions" and if she asks, then yes, you are the owner :)

mommy2lexinmark
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM
It would be hard for me to get there before 7 since my dh works till 7 on mon and tue and then till 5 on thurs and 6 on fri...he gets out at 3 on weds but those are days i make appointments..we have 5 kids and it s hard to get any time for myself...so i go to hollywood tans at least wen i did tan..cus they are open till 10 on weekdays...but if she knew the hrs then that's on her...but i feel once u buy a package it should never expire...that's how hollywood tans is...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM
What would even be the point of an expiration date if you just extended it for everyone with a sob story? No refund and not extended expiration date.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
My4Kidds
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM
nope she is shit outta luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM

what state is that in? whats the name of the salon?

Quoting brittany208:

She can't find any time before 7 in a whole YEAR'S time? i dont think so.

I was mad at a tanning salon once... because I purchased a package (I rarely, rarely come in, but every now and then) and they closed on me! One day I went and poof they were gone!

GoRed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Hey, I have a tanning salon too!  She knew the rules, don't refund her money, especially 6 months later!  You could always bend the rules for her, and personally, I would, my customers really appreciate that.  She sounds like a PITA, but whatever, say you will extend it for 6 months, you're not losing anything by doing that, since you will certainly lose her as a customer if you do nothing. 

shamroc374
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM
I wouldn't do it. She purchased the package, and knew your hours when she did. She has found time to come in and during your hours before so I am sure she can manage it for the rest of them. You have given her ample warning about her visits expiring. She has 5 months to use the remaining visits. I am sure that each month she can find time to come in twice a month. I think she is just trying to get her time extended to include the spring or summer months since that is when people normally tan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM
I think you're wrong for putting people in tanning beds and increasing their risk for Melanoma.
orksnorf
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM
I would just say, "sorry no refunds or extensions"
She still has 5 months, what is she so worried about?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I would extend it for an additional 3 months as a "one time courtesy". I would also give her something that has the business hours listed, and advise her that after May, her package will no longer be valid, no matter how many tans she has left.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN