Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a small business owner, & I need to vent about a customer.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies

I'm a small business owner. I just needed to vent, and this is the best place to do that...

The economy isn't that great, and I understand that. My prices are low, so it's affordable for the people who want to come to my business.

I own a small tanning salon. I have a wide range of tanning packages, something to fit any tanners needs.

I have this one customer, who came in today, wanting me to issue a refund, and or change her expire date.

Back in feb of this year, she purchased a limited tan package. It's 15 tans, that expire 1 year from the date of purchase, or if you use them all before that year is up.

The hours of my salon have been the same for 10 years. And I'm open longer hours, and 7 days a week. All the other salons in my town, have shorter hours, and they are only open 5 days a week.

Anyways, the issue is this. This lady purchased this tanning package back in feb. Knowing that they expire 1 year from the date of purchase, she has used 5 of them which were all used with in the first 2 months after she purchased them.

And I haven't seen her since. Today, she comes in to tan. And I kindly let her know that she has 10 left, and they expire feb 2013. I let her know that, so that she could try and use them before then so that she doesn't loose tans. I'm not trying to screw her out of anything.

She then say's "what time do you close", I told her 7pm, and we are open 7 days a week. She then goes on to tell me, that the reason she hasn't used any more for this long period of time, is because I close early.... She wanted me to refund her money or extend the expire date on her package.

Now, I'm all for helping my customers, becaue afterall, they are what pays my bills and puts food on my table. So yes, I appreciate each customer that I have and want to make them happy. But my issue here is, she was fully aware of the hours for my salon when she purchased the tans. My salon is open longer hours, and 7 days a week, while the other ones in this town are only open 5 days a week, and close alot earlier.

I don't feel that I should extend her expire date, nor give her a refund. I don't believe that my hours are the reason she hasn't used them. I think she's just one of those people, who are trying to get something out of someone.

Please. im open to suggestions, and ideas. If you think I'm wrong, tell me, and explain why. Like I said, I don't want to screw anyone, but I can't afford to get screwed either.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy053008
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM
No advice but bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM

She can't find any time before 7 in a whole YEAR'S time? i dont think so.

I was mad at a tanning salon once... because I purchased a package (I rarely, rarely come in, but every now and then) and they closed on me! One day I went and poof they were gone!

Superlaura328
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

No, you shouldn't have to do anything at all. I work in sales, and we live in a day and age where people ask for discounts/leniences/extensions/returns, etc., just because they know that they can, and they will usually get what they are asking for. I think tihs is primarily due to the economy - people have less money to spend, and businesses have less money to lose, so they try to keep their customers happy as best they can. But they will take advantage of you, if you let them.

jesistar6910
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM
4 moms liked this

Do you have a contract that she signed, that way you can show her exactly what the terms were, and if that has your hours on it even better. And in the future maybe you could have a sign made that says no extension or refunds on packages, so when someone asks for one or insists on one you can point to it and say "eat it bitches." Okay, so you won't actually say that, but you know what I mean.

epoh
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM
I think she's wrong and you're doing fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Miller11
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM
2 moms liked this

This is why I cant work with the general public, I would be like "fuck your face, ya dumb bitch" or something equally offensive. I hate people like that. I understand that they are generally the minority and not every customer is a royal asshole, but it only takes one to fuck up your day.

Anyway, I dont really have any advice, but I wish you luck on resolving this.

sthflachk
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Nope, no refunds or extensions!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM

WTF? & pm is late enough. I could see if you closed at 4 pm but 7 is late enough! Most people get off at 6, tops! She has time, shes just screwing with you!

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I ran a business for some carnies for over a decade. We went by the principle "Caveat Emptor" and even had a sign in our main shop. 

Buyer motherfucking beware. 

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM
6 moms liked this
Sucks for her. She's not a special snowflake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)