Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a small business owner, & I need to vent about a customer.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm a small business owner. I just needed to vent, and this is the best place to do that...

The economy isn't that great, and I understand that. My prices are low, so it's affordable for the people who want to come to my business.

I own a small tanning salon. I have a wide range of tanning packages, something to fit any tanners needs.

I have this one customer, who came in today, wanting me to issue a refund, and or change her expire date.

Back in feb of this year, she purchased a limited tan package. It's 15 tans, that expire 1 year from the date of purchase, or if you use them all before that year is up.

The hours of my salon have been the same for 10 years. And I'm open longer hours, and 7 days a week. All the other salons in my town, have shorter hours, and they are only open 5 days a week.

Anyways, the issue is this. This lady purchased this tanning package back in feb. Knowing that they expire 1 year from the date of purchase, she has used 5 of them which were all used with in the first 2 months after she purchased them.

And I haven't seen her since. Today, she comes in to tan. And I kindly let her know that she has 10 left, and they expire feb 2013. I let her know that, so that she could try and use them before then so that she doesn't loose tans. I'm not trying to screw her out of anything.

She then say's "what time do you close", I told her 7pm, and we are open 7 days a week. She then goes on to tell me, that the reason she hasn't used any more for this long period of time, is because I close early.... She wanted me to refund her money or extend the expire date on her package.

Now, I'm all for helping my customers, becaue afterall, they are what pays my bills and puts food on my table. So yes, I appreciate each customer that I have and want to make them happy. But my issue here is, she was fully aware of the hours for my salon when she purchased the tans. My salon is open longer hours, and 7 days a week, while the other ones in this town are only open 5 days a week, and close alot earlier.

I don't feel that I should extend her expire date, nor give her a refund. I don't believe that my hours are the reason she hasn't used them. I think she's just one of those people, who are trying to get something out of someone.

Please. im open to suggestions, and ideas. If you think I'm wrong, tell me, and explain why. Like I said, I don't want to screw anyone, but I can't afford to get screwed either.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
Love060708kids
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM

She's wrong.  Keep doing your thing, she chose that package and she's had plenty of time to come in for her tanning.  I think it's ridiculous and she's just looking for an excuse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Your right. She is being a bitch.

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Don't extend it.its.a ridiculous request.

The best advice I can give you is to maybe call her or email her monthly with a reminder of how many she has left. Pretend you do it for everyone so she doesn't suspect
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wydowness
by Kusabi on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Nope don't give her a refund, sounds like she wants to screw with you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Just tell her sorry that you are unable to do that and go on with your day.

elephantmamaof2
I'd let it go. My dad owns a tanning salon and deals with nut balls too. She's obviously not a regular customer, which is what salons thrive on. Obviously the business is tough so you don't want her bad mouthing your salon, maybe you could offer her a free sample lotion or add a free tan onto her package?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdymom28

If the terms of her package were made to clear to her at the time of purchase, then you don't need to do anything else. It appears you have already gone above and beyond...if she gives you any more crap about closing early I'd tell her that she's welcome to try any of the other tanning salons in town, but they all close at 5, so good luck with that.

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM
You're not wrong at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anon1986East
by Kali on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM

You are not wrong. By her purchasing the package she agreed to the terms. Being a business owner isn't easy. I own a business with my sister and while I don't enjoy the occasions when a customer is upset we simply can't make exceptions for every person who complains.

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Always one in the bunch trying to get over
Maybe make the package smaller

She is sooo busy 7 days a week. Riiight

Im assuming you are in the right and it says somewhere, no refunds or credit.
If you are in the right there is nothing she can do. She probably does this wherever she goes
Last resort would be since she has paid for the package is to tell her she can come and use it at her convenience until it expires, like it says.

Does the package have an expiration date? Then she cant say anything
Youve kindly reminded her and shes paid up and its on her to use it or not.
If she walks in after the expiration date there is nothing you can do
Maybe a supermarket would give her a rain check but in your business you dont have to.

If she knew her schedule, she should not have bought the package

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN