Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a small business owner, & I need to vent about a customer.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm a small business owner. I just needed to vent, and this is the best place to do that...

The economy isn't that great, and I understand that. My prices are low, so it's affordable for the people who want to come to my business.

I own a small tanning salon. I have a wide range of tanning packages, something to fit any tanners needs.

I have this one customer, who came in today, wanting me to issue a refund, and or change her expire date.

Back in feb of this year, she purchased a limited tan package. It's 15 tans, that expire 1 year from the date of purchase, or if you use them all before that year is up.

The hours of my salon have been the same for 10 years. And I'm open longer hours, and 7 days a week. All the other salons in my town, have shorter hours, and they are only open 5 days a week.

Anyways, the issue is this. This lady purchased this tanning package back in feb. Knowing that they expire 1 year from the date of purchase, she has used 5 of them which were all used with in the first 2 months after she purchased them.

And I haven't seen her since. Today, she comes in to tan. And I kindly let her know that she has 10 left, and they expire feb 2013. I let her know that, so that she could try and use them before then so that she doesn't loose tans. I'm not trying to screw her out of anything.

She then say's "what time do you close", I told her 7pm, and we are open 7 days a week. She then goes on to tell me, that the reason she hasn't used any more for this long period of time, is because I close early.... She wanted me to refund her money or extend the expire date on her package.

Now, I'm all for helping my customers, becaue afterall, they are what pays my bills and puts food on my table. So yes, I appreciate each customer that I have and want to make them happy. But my issue here is, she was fully aware of the hours for my salon when she purchased the tans. My salon is open longer hours, and 7 days a week, while the other ones in this town are only open 5 days a week, and close alot earlier.

I don't feel that I should extend her expire date, nor give her a refund. I don't believe that my hours are the reason she hasn't used them. I think she's just one of those people, who are trying to get something out of someone.

Please. im open to suggestions, and ideas. If you think I'm wrong, tell me, and explain why. Like I said, I don't want to screw anyone, but I can't afford to get screwed either.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
brittany208
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM

IN and i forget, why?

Quoting Anonymous:

what state is that in? whats the name of the salon?

Quoting brittany208:

She can't find any time before 7 in a whole YEAR'S time? i dont think so.

I was mad at a tanning salon once... because I purchased a package (I rarely, rarely come in, but every now and then) and they closed on me! One day I went and poof they were gone!

shamroc374
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I think the lady is trying to extend her time to include the spring/summer months. If she can't get in this salon before 7:00 then she will definitely not be able to get in the others that close earlier. The lady is just trying to get 2 springs out of one package and would most likely purchase a new package in March 2013 if the one she currently has was not extended. If the op did extend it, the lady would come to expect it every time.

Quoting GoRed:

Hey, I have a tanning salon too!  She knew the rules, don't refund her money, especially 6 months later!  You could always bend the rules for her, and personally, I would, my customers really appreciate that.  She sounds like a PITA, but whatever, say you will extend it for 6 months, you're not losing anything by doing that, since you will certainly lose her as a customer if you do nothing. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Suz_and_Ash
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM
She has 4 months to use 10 tans. I wouldn't change a thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyboy117
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM
No.. she is trying to get over on you. I would have used up all those tanning sessions in like 3 weeks! Lol who takes a year to use 15 tans!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM
I wouldnt do anything for her but remind her of when her package expires.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigressLily
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I wouldn't refund her money nor extend her time. She has plenty time to get 10 more tans in before it expires for one, and she's had plenty time already. My mom used to go tanning once a week to once every two weeks.... that woman has plenty time to get 15 tans in, in one year.

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM
You do not have to change her expire date or refund her anything. If she can't use her package then oops too bad for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
friendlymom5
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM
No don't change anything for her. Heck she still has 5 months left and you are open late. She just wants something for free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoRed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I just try to be a little more hospitable, but you are right, she's probably just trying to stretch it.  I would only be concerned that maybe she was not told upon purchase that the package is only good for a year.  If she does extend it, even by two months, she could be very clear with the customer that this is a one time deal, and that next time she should purchase a package that better suits her needs and availability.  

Quoting shamroc374:

I think the lady is trying to extend her time to include the spring/summer months. If she can't get in this salon before 7:00 then she will definitely not be able to get in the others that close earlier. The lady is just trying to get 2 springs out of one package and would most likely purchase a new package in March 2013 if the one she currently has was not extended. If the op did extend it, the lady would come to expect it every time.

Quoting GoRed:

Hey, I have a tanning salon too!  She knew the rules, don't refund her money, especially 6 months later!  You could always bend the rules for her, and personally, I would, my customers really appreciate that.  She sounds like a PITA, but whatever, say you will extend it for 6 months, you're not losing anything by doing that, since you will certainly lose her as a customer if you do nothing. 

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM

She is in the wrong. And for real, 15 sessions? Back when I tanned, I would go ever single day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN