Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a small business owner, & I need to vent about a customer.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm a small business owner. I just needed to vent, and this is the best place to do that...

The economy isn't that great, and I understand that. My prices are low, so it's affordable for the people who want to come to my business.

I own a small tanning salon. I have a wide range of tanning packages, something to fit any tanners needs.

I have this one customer, who came in today, wanting me to issue a refund, and or change her expire date.

Back in feb of this year, she purchased a limited tan package. It's 15 tans, that expire 1 year from the date of purchase, or if you use them all before that year is up.

The hours of my salon have been the same for 10 years. And I'm open longer hours, and 7 days a week. All the other salons in my town, have shorter hours, and they are only open 5 days a week.

Anyways, the issue is this. This lady purchased this tanning package back in feb. Knowing that they expire 1 year from the date of purchase, she has used 5 of them which were all used with in the first 2 months after she purchased them.

And I haven't seen her since. Today, she comes in to tan. And I kindly let her know that she has 10 left, and they expire feb 2013. I let her know that, so that she could try and use them before then so that she doesn't loose tans. I'm not trying to screw her out of anything.

She then say's "what time do you close", I told her 7pm, and we are open 7 days a week. She then goes on to tell me, that the reason she hasn't used any more for this long period of time, is because I close early.... She wanted me to refund her money or extend the expire date on her package.

Now, I'm all for helping my customers, becaue afterall, they are what pays my bills and puts food on my table. So yes, I appreciate each customer that I have and want to make them happy. But my issue here is, she was fully aware of the hours for my salon when she purchased the tans. My salon is open longer hours, and 7 days a week, while the other ones in this town are only open 5 days a week, and close alot earlier.

I don't feel that I should extend her expire date, nor give her a refund. I don't believe that my hours are the reason she hasn't used them. I think she's just one of those people, who are trying to get something out of someone.

Please. im open to suggestions, and ideas. If you think I'm wrong, tell me, and explain why. Like I said, I don't want to screw anyone, but I can't afford to get screwed either.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Replies (91-97):
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM
No, you dont owe her anything, anything, and IMO should stick to your policy.

I too own a small business ( grooming). Today I closed at 4pm like I have for 3 update now. I had to me at probation at 4:30, no biggie. All 6 dogs I groomed owners were told to pick up before3. By 4:30 I still had 4 dogs in my shop! Obviously I was very late, luckily I didn't get sent to jail! On the other hand I had one customer tip me $60, so they dont all suck. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesistar6910
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Yes, a contract. Or a form that explains things, you know, something on paper that the business owner can present a copy of and a fickle customer can fuck right off knowing and actually seeing that they signed it.

And, I've never actually been to a salon (I've got brown skin), so I imagine that they have to sign waivers to use the machines, a waiver is a type of contract. So yes, they'd have to sign one to be able to use the machine in the first place, why would it be so odd to have an addendum explaining expiration of package, etc, etc?

Quoting kjoarcik:

A contract? I can't imagine anyone having to sign some sort of contract to get a tanning package..lol. 

Quoting jesistar6910:

Do you have a contract that she signed, that way you can show her exactly what the terms were, and if that has your hours on it even better. And in the future maybe you could have a sign made that says no extension or refunds on packages, so when someone asks for one or insists on one you can point to it and say "eat it bitches." Okay, so you won't actually say that, but you know what I mean.

mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Can you talk with her and set up so agreeable apointment times to help her use up the rest of her tans - or could she give them to someone else to use up before Feb 13, if the schedule is not right for her??

squeedlyspooch
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I spent all of my working years in customer service so let me make this suggestion:

extend her expiration date by 1 month. Make sure she knows that it is a special occasion and it won't happen again. Make her feel special if you can.

Now for the why:

I am sure you have heard that a satisfied customer will tell 2 people while a dissatisfied customer will tell 20 people. Women like this will tell even more than that. While it's annoying to give her anything and lose some ground, it will be worse to lose the business she will cost you by opening her mouth (especially if she has a Yelp account, which she probably does).

I'm certain that you are well-versed in your customer service trade and so I won't insult you with a step-by-step, but if you find yourself at a loss on this I will be glad to assist you with some wording.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM

That is a tough one. A part of me says give her an extra thirty days but then where do you draw the line with all the customers. If she had a reason like she had been sick or had a baby or something, I could see giving her more time. Problem is if you give her more time then all the customers will expect the same thing. 

kjoarcik
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM

In that case, it wouldn't be odd to add it into the waiver that is already signed. I don't even know if there is a waiver....haven't been tanning since I was a teenager....but that would probably work.

I thought you meant some type of contract just to get a card with 15 free tans. That seemed like overkill to me especially since whatever type of card she got most likely has the expiration and number of tans on it.

Quoting jesistar6910:

Yes, a contract. Or a form that explains things, you know, something on paper that the business owner can present a copy of and a fickle customer can fuck right off knowing and actually seeing that they signed it.

And, I've never actually been to a salon (I've got brown skin), so I imagine that they have to sign waivers to use the machines, a waiver is a type of contract. So yes, they'd have to sign one to be able to use the machine in the first place, why would it be so odd to have an addendum explaining expiration of package, etc, etc?

Quoting kjoarcik:

A contract? I can't imagine anyone having to sign some sort of contract to get a tanning package..lol. 

Quoting jesistar6910:

Do you have a contract that she signed, that way you can show her exactly what the terms were, and if that has your hours on it even better. And in the future maybe you could have a sign made that says no extension or refunds on packages, so when someone asks for one or insists on one you can point to it and say "eat it bitches." Okay, so you won't actually say that, but you know what I mean.

Photobucket

jesistar6910
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM

LOL. Yeah, nothing like that. :)

Quoting kjoarcik:

In that case, it wouldn't be odd to add it into the waiver that is already signed. I don't even know if there is a waiver....haven't been tanning since I was a teenager....but that would probably work.

I thought you meant some type of contract just to get a card with 15 free tans. That seemed like overkill to me especially since whatever type of card she got most likely has the expiration and number of tans on it.

Quoting jesistar6910:

Quoting kjoarcik:

Quoting jesistar6910:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)