Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The heterosexual lifestyle.

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM
  • 24 Replies

How would you define a "lifestyle?"  According to Merriam-Webster it is defined as: the typical way of life of an individual, group, or culture

So, this would mean how a person lives their life, if they live religiously, or work out a lot and eat healthy, or if they're rich and are accustomed to the more finer things in life, if they are big into family, etc... 

I don't understand how sexual orientation gets lumped into this.  Should we say all straight people are living a "heterosexual lifestyle?"  Is my sexual orientation the only thing that defines my "way of life?" 

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:53 PM
No of course not. I'm a beach bum, athletic, homosexual girly girl. Odd combos know lol.
mcclainprincess
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Quoting wkukid:

No of course not. I'm a beach bum, athletic, homosexual girly girl. Odd combos know lol.

When someone refers to your homosexuality as a "lifestyle" are you upset by this?  I was talking to a very good friend of mine today and she's gay, We started this discussion and neither of us think of it as a lifestyle.. just as life.  We figure lifestyle would mean it was something that was chosen. 

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Quoting mcclainprincess:

It is upsetting, it isn't a lifestyle or a choice, its just a part of who I am. Like my eye color or food preference.
mcclainprincess
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Quoting wkukid:

Quoting mcclainprincess:

It is upsetting, it isn't a lifestyle or a choice, its just a part of who I am. Like my eye color or food preference.

=(  

Wish ppl would understand that. But, it looks like those who claim it is a lifestyle are not responding.. hmmmm.. 

alwayskk
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM

It's not. There is no such thing as a gay or straight lifestyle because who you are married to and who you have sex with has nothing to do with what a lifestyle entails.

mcclainprincess
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM

My thoughts exactly.. so when people say they "don't agree with that lifestyle..."  drives me bonkers..  

Quoting alwayskk:

It's not. There is no such thing as a gay or straight lifestyle because who you are married to and who you have sex with has nothing to do with what a lifestyle entails.

ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM

BUMP!

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Sure, go ahead and say that.  We will know what it means, as we all have the common assumptions, more or less.  One man, one woman, married, with kids, and doing all that entails is the general heterosexual lifestyle.

Unless you are really young, in which case it is one man and one woman hooking up on Friday night, or whatever the heck they are doing today. 

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Quoting alwayskk:

That is decidedly, ridiculously false.  There are definitely gay lifestyles. There are gay bars.  There are parades.  There are whole gay rights political movements.  There are gay clubs on campuses (but no straight clubs).

All of this creates a lifestyle and a group with which one identifies and to which one belongs that is decidedly different than the run of the mill straight lifestyle. 

mcclainprincess
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting alwayskk:

That is decidedly, ridiculously false.  There are definitely gay lifestyles. There are gay bars.  There are parades.  There are whole gay rights political movements.  There are gay clubs on campuses (but no straight clubs).

All of this creates a lifestyle and a group with which one identifies and to which one belongs that is decidedly different than the run of the mill straight lifestyle. 

And what if a gay person does not go to gay bars or gay clubs?  They just live their life just like every one else...  And even if they did then shouldn't they just be labeled as living a partying lifestyle? just like a straight person would? and what about straight people who are involved in gay rights political movements?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN