Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The heterosexual lifestyle.

How would you define a "lifestyle?"  According to Merriam-Webster it is defined as: the typical way of life of an individual, group, or culture

So, this would mean how a person lives their life, if they live religiously, or work out a lot and eat healthy, or if they're rich and are accustomed to the more finer things in life, if they are big into family, etc... 

I don't understand how sexual orientation gets lumped into this.  Should we say all straight people are living a "heterosexual lifestyle?"  Is my sexual orientation the only thing that defines my "way of life?" 

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
TurtleSquish
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I am homosexual. But I'm also a cat lover, and I really like mexican food.

so am i living the cat lady lifestyle, the mexican food lovers lifestyle or the homosexual lifestyle?

alwayskk
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting alwayskk:

It's not. There is no such thing as a gay or straight lifestyle because who you are married to and who you have sex with has nothing to do with what a lifestyle entails.

That is decidedly, ridiculously false.  There are definitely gay lifestyles. There are gay bars.  There are parades.  There are whole gay rights political movements.  There are gay clubs on campuses (but no straight clubs).

All of this creates a lifestyle and a group with which one identifies and to which one belongs that is decidedly different than the run of the mill straight lifestyle. 

Being involved in politics is part of ones lifestyle. There is nothing homosexual about that.

If you are pro life and go to lots of pro life functions, does that mean you life a pro life lifestyle?

No, it doesn't. 

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Quoting alwayskk:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting alwayskk:

It's not. There is no such thing as a gay or straight lifestyle because who you are married to and who you have sex with has nothing to do with what a lifestyle entails.

That is decidedly, ridiculously false.  There are definitely gay lifestyles. There are gay bars.  There are parades.  There are whole gay rights political movements.  There are gay clubs on campuses (but no straight clubs).

All of this creates a lifestyle and a group with which one identifies and to which one belongs that is decidedly different than the run of the mill straight lifestyle. 

Quote:

Being involved in politics is part of ones lifestyle. There is nothing homosexual about that.

If you are pro life and go to lots of pro life functions, does that mean you life a pro life lifestyle?

No, it doesn't. 

Sure it does.  If that is the central feature of my life, around which all else revolves, it is part of my chosen identity and lifestyle. 

alwayskk
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting alwayskk:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting alwayskk:

Quote:

No, it doesn't. 

Sure it does.  If that is the central feature of my life, around which all else revolves, it is part of my chosen identity and lifestyle. 

Being gay is no one's central feature of their life.

Come on!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM
I wouldn't care if you called my sexuality my lifestyle.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I have a heterosexual lifestyle and is very proud of it. I guess I would sum it up to meaning I am attracted to/in a relationship with the opposite sex. Why would I be offended because someone calls it a heterosexual lifestyle? It's true I do

alwayskk
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a heterosexual lifestyle and is very proud of it. I guess I would sum it up to meaning I am attracted to/in a relationship with the opposite sex. Why would I be offended because someone calls it a heterosexual lifestyle? It's true I do

Well, the reason people find it offensive is because, other than being patently incorrect, it's also used to argue that these people are making choices- the choice, specifically, to be gay. If people are living a lifestyle, that is their choice because that's what a lifestyle IS, a choice. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I believe it is a choice so I guess I fall into that group. No wonder I didn't see a problem with it. Oops! I guess I am not one to argue this point because I agree that it is a lifestyle. Sorry!

Quoting alwayskk:

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, the reason people find it offensive is because, other than being patently incorrect, it's also used to argue that these people are making choices- the choice, specifically, to be gay. If people are living a lifestyle, that is their choice because that's what a lifestyle IS, a choice. 

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Quoting alwayskk:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting alwayskk:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting alwayskk:

Quote:

No, it doesn't. 

Being gay is no one's central feature of their life.

Come on!

You have GOT to be kidding.  Um, yes, it most decidedly IS a central feature of many people's lifestyles.   For some it is a nonissue, not even something you ever know about until you get to know the person well.  But others are so in-your-face about this that it is definitely the major feature.

alwayskk
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

You have GOT to be kidding.  Um, yes, it most decidedly IS a central feature of many people's lifestyles.   For some it is a nonissue, not even something you ever know about until you get to know the person well.  But others are so in-your-face about this that it is definitely the major feature.

So, a female who is a girly-girl, likes to get her pedicures, likes to shop. That makes her an in your face heterosexual?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)