Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

STUPID VOLUNTEERS!! OF COURSE WE DON'T NEED YOU!

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

Not really, we do need them. I am so frustrated!

This year we have a brand new PTO board.  Many have been unhappy w/the PTO; especially last year.

I am not the VP, not sure what I got myself into!

Anyway, this year is the first year we are doing a Trunk or Treat.  Our Assistant Principal wanted this huge thing, but bc of the past PTO we just don't have the funds.  So it won't be as big but will have some activities still.

I had 8 volunteers, only 2 have responded.

I have posted on our FB page & got a few "we can't be there."  I get that so I said "for those that can not be at an event we can always use help getting things that we need for instance we still need some noodles & a few small pumpkins for Trunk or Treat. We never turn down help & don't want to exclude anyone from anything."

I have had so many people "like" my comment yet not a single one of them have offered to bring in a damn thing.

I am so frustrated.  This is our first even of the year, the first one we are putting on as the "new" PTO & I am in charge, my name is on this.  I am freaking out that it will be a total freaking flop!

WTH hell is wrong w/people!!! Ugh.

Ok vent over.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:04 PM

bump

kikibix
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I have no idea what's involved with a trunk or treat (never heard of that), but go to the school early and hang out chatting up parents with a clipboard with a sign up sheet in hand.  Have very specific chores and time slots for people to sign up for. Post sign up sheets in very visible places around the school so people can think it over if need be and then sign up.  I find that people don't want to volunteer if they dont' know what exactly they are in for but if you specify things eg.  sell tickets from 4pm to 5pm at table, help prepare hot dogs in staff kitchen, help set up, clean up, count and roll money, etc. more people will volunteer. 

skyes_mama
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM
We do one at our church and the parents just come and set up their own car and candy. Decorated of course. The school/church sell cupcakes, cookies, ect for the extra cash. It's usually just fun seeing how everyone decorates there cars or trucks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Oh gosh communication has been out.

We've talked about this at every meeting.

On our FB PTO site It says "I need help w/the games, contests & passing out candy & popcorn. For those that can not come we still need noodles, small pumpkins, a few more pillow cases (kids can decorate their own pillow case to trick or treat with) & empty 2liter bottles."

I keep getting "if I could be there I would help, if I had baby sitters I would help, etc."

Ok you can't be there, I get it but could you at least offer to bring in something that is needed.

It is so frustrating; I am so worried I am going to be totally embarrassed by this.

I have one volunteer who is working on 2 things, another helping park the cars & my friend/brand new neighbor who literally just moved here will be helping some how.

One of the volunteers that signed up freaked that we were playing games & having contests.  Every trunk or treat I have gone to has activities & such so she literally emailed me after I responded to her email (I can post it, I was very nice. DH & principal read it before I sent it) in nicer words telling me to screw off she was no longer helping.

The other 6 volunteers I haven't heard from.  These are the original volunteers who signed up.

We have over 50 on our FB page & all keep saying "I can't be there" but offering no other help.

The information is also up on our PTO table at the school as well. 

We can't just stand at the school, not allowed.  But all the info is out there.

So frustrating!

Quoting kikibix:

I have no idea what's involved with a trunk or treat (never heard of that), but go to the school early and hang out chatting up parents with a clipboard with a sign up sheet in hand.  Have very specific chores and time slots for people to sign up for. Post sign up sheets in very visible places around the school so people can think it over if need be and then sign up.  I find that people don't want to volunteer if they dont' know what exactly they are in for but if you specify things eg.  sell tickets from 4pm to 5pm at table, help prepare hot dogs in staff kitchen, help set up, clean up, count and roll money, etc. more people will volunteer. 

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I have no volunteers, no way can I bake all that.

We also aren't doing this to raise money, completely free other than the popcorn that will be 50cents a bag.

Cars will be decorated, we are doing a contest for that & a costume contest for the kids.

Everyone is bringing their own candy.

Quoting skyes_mama:

We do one at our church and the parents just come and set up their own car and candy. Decorated of course. The school/church sell cupcakes, cookies, ect for the extra cash. It's usually just fun seeing how everyone decorates there cars or trucks.

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Oh we also have quite a few rules we have to follow when selling food.

Quoting skyes_mama:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Maybe the PTO flopped because it got sick of BS like this. ..Just a thought. Sorry, I never understand why people volunteer if they really don't plan to do shit.

Edited to clarify.By "BS like this" I meant people not wanting to do anything, NOT because of events like your Trunk or Treat

champagne_rose
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM

BUMP!

Mrs_Harsh
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Find a local farm and ask them for pumpkin donations. That's what out PTA does.
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Oh no it flopped for a few reasons:

Only held meetings at 10am so nobody could make it

No communication

And unfortunately did some things that weren't legal either.

When we took over people were soooo excited "I can't wait to finally be involved, I can't wait to volunteer, so glad you all took over, etc" yeah right!

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe the PTO flopped because it got sick of BS like this. ..Just a thought. Sorry, I never understand why people volunteer if they really don't plan to do shit.

Edited to clarify.By "BS like this" I meant people not wanting to do anything, NOT because of events like your Trunk or Treat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)