Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't believe in spanking

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Parents seem to be on this power trip with their kids. It's the only explanation for the ferocity with which these parents cling to the concept of spanking.

Children are young, less experienced, less knowledgeable and can be defiant, impulsive and downright annoying and often even infuriating. 

When you have someone that you rule over, who knows less than you and who defies and annoys you, you feel completely justified in hitting them.

You say it's to teach them a lesson. You say it's because they can't learn any other way. 

You say it's your right as their "ruler." 

Let's grow beyond this and act benevolently to our subjects, eh?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:39 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Your children will one day grow up and put you in a time out? They will grow to one day ground you or take away your things as punishment lol? It sounds stupid, right? 

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

So it'll be fine when your kids get bigger and start hitting you back when you hit them then?

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I don't believe in Santa, but I'm pretty sure spanking is real...

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Oh please. Give us all a break from the head shrinking. This new age notion of children being precious snowflakes is crap. Timeouts are a joke and so is most of that other nonsense people like to call "discipline".

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

This house is not a Democracy, it is a Dictatorship, and I am it's Dictator and I will rule as I see fit!

My kids get hit, when they hit.  So the rule here is, "If you don't want to be hit, then don't hit", it works like a charm!

Totally illogical reasoning, I say that as a wife, a mother of two happy well adjusted teenage daughters and a clinical therapist with 26 years experience working with children and families

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

If your mother is a psychologist, and I have no way of knowing that this is true, who supports spanking and spanks herself, I would have to say two things. One is that she has essentially ignored or dismissed every ounce of her training and all the reputable research on child and adolescent development. I would equate that to an oncologist who smokes, they know the potential risks but do it anyway.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never spanked ....Time Out/Loss of Privileges has worked for our family for over 34 years

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Quoting Nicoleb9:

Those who have very little education and insight resort to name calling...think about it.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM
What name did I call you?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Those who have very little education and insight resort to name calling...think about it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Now I want a crown & septor as the Supreme Ruler of my household. Oooh everyone should bow & kiss my feet also.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

They say, kids need to learn a lesson.

But then you need to wonder, have you tried teaching the lesson any other way.

I totally get what you are saying

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Queen of my castle. I make the rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)