Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't believe in spanking

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Parents seem to be on this power trip with their kids. It's the only explanation for the ferocity with which these parents cling to the concept of spanking.

Children are young, less experienced, less knowledgeable and can be defiant, impulsive and downright annoying and often even infuriating. 

When you have someone that you rule over, who knows less than you and who defies and annoys you, you feel completely justified in hitting them.

You say it's to teach them a lesson. You say it's because they can't learn any other way. 

You say it's your right as their "ruler." 

Let's grow beyond this and act benevolently to our subjects, eh?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:39 AM
Replies (61-70):
SB2217
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Good for you?
I spank my kids. I don't want my very strong willed 3 year old to grow up thinking she can do as she pleases and grow up to be a brat without boundaries, rules or respect. I do it as a last resort but if she chooses to defy me and continuosly misbehave knowing she'll get a spanking that's what I'll do.
Spank your kids, don't, I don't care. I spank mine and whatever you think or say has no effect on how I choose to parent my children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM
And some people seem to be on a power trip thinking anyone gives a shit what they think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM
No it isn't. I don't use objects personally, but I know in my sate as long as it doesn't cause bruising it's OK. Maybe you should quit trying to be a know-it-all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Spanking kids with an object of any kind other than your hand is considered abuse in every state. As the previous reply stated, if you are a mandated reporter as I am, we have to report hitting a child anywhere on the body with an object If you want to spank you may want to consider just using your hand. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Really because my friends is also one and have never inform me of this. In our state " physical discipline such as spanking or paddling ris not considered abuse as long as it's reasonable and cause no bodily injury. I spank not abuse me and my kids are good don't need to think about anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup I guess I am the ruler and the funny part about it that's what I use to rule my house a ruler.

As a mandated reporter and clinical therapist, using an implement to hit a child would fall into the category of physical abuse. I would risk my state license if I did not file a report with cps. I practice in the northeast but you may want to think about this the next time you whip out your ruler.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

If you live in the US it is. I have to do child abuse training every summer. It is not abuse to use your hand. It is if you use an object. If your child goes to school and says they were hit with an object you better beleive you will be getting a phone call. Whether or not they decide it is abuse or not is up to the investigator but it will be investigated. 

Quoting militarywife09:

No it isn't. I don't use objects personally, but I know in my sate as long as it doesn't cause bruising it's OK. Maybe you should quit trying to be a know-it-all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Spanking kids with an object of any kind other than your hand is considered abuse in every state. As the previous reply stated, if you are a mandated reporter as I am, we have to report hitting a child anywhere on the body with an object If you want to spank you may want to consider just using your hand. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Really because my friends is also one and have never inform me of this. In our state " physical discipline such as spanking or paddling ris not considered abuse as long as it's reasonable and cause no bodily injury. I spank not abuse me and my kids are good don't need to think about anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup I guess I am the ruler and the funny part about it that's what I use to rule my house a ruler.

As a mandated reporter and clinical therapist, using an implement to hit a child would fall into the category of physical abuse. I would risk my state license if I did not file a report with cps. I practice in the northeast but you may want to think about this the next time you whip out your ruler.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Thanks for the advice!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Spanking is not some theoretical idea. It's an actual thing that happens. Now, if you want to say we don't use spanking as a form of punishment, fine. But it's real and not something you can say doesn't exist.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM
http://kidjacked.com/legal/spanking_law.asp

Quoting Anonymous:

If you live in the US it is. I have to do child abuse training every summer. It is not abuse to use your hand. It is if you use an object. If your child goes to school and says they were hit with an object you better beleive you will be getting a phone call. Whether or not they decide it is abuse or not is up to the investigator but it will be investigated. 

Quoting militarywife09:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Polemomma2010
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I spank my children.  I disagree with you.

So does that me you right and me wrong?  Or the other way around? 

Everyone is different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN